Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 08:49 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,710,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer but only to share a piece of my reality. I've been there done that. Even if you have a spouse that doesn't help - IF said spouse is working and everything does NOT rely on one person and one income - life is a bit easier.

When YOU are the sole provider AND the sole parent - life can get hard. It's best to know this before one gets started.

Every bill that gets paid - YOU will pay. Every walk that gets shoveled - YOU will shovel. Every kid that gets sick - YOU will take to the doctor; YOU will do all the grocery shopping; YOU will handle all of the car trouble; when the child gets sick, YOU will miss work; when the child has a school program - YOU will miss work. When school is called off for whatever reason - YOU will miss work or YOU will arrange childcare. YOU will work all day and then YOU will help with homework; projects and YOU will transport or arrange transportation (no easy feat) to and from all after school activities.

You see where I'm going with this. I'm not saying don't do it - just go in with your eyes wide open. It's hard and unless you have been a single parent - you have no idea of how hard it is.

Would I trade it? Nope. Nor would I enter into it lightly.
Reps to you, Ringo. This is the kind of mom every son wants. Mine is one such one.

For some reason, I thought you were a man. Reminded me of Ringo Starr Why don't we do it on the rooooaaad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Reps to you, Ringo. This is the kind of mom every son wants. Mine is one such one.

For some reason, I thought you were a man. Reminded me of Ringo Starr Why don't we do it on the rooooaaad
Thanks Crocodile - everyone thinks I'm a guy with my screen name. Actually, Ringo is my dog's name and I started out on CD on the pet forum . .

Anyooo, thanks for the nice comment. I love my boy and I am so proud of the man he is becoming.

And it makes all the hard years worth it but they were hard; it feels like I've walked through fire AND walls in order to keep a good job; keep my boy in a nice house in a nice neighborhood; keep him active in school and sports; and carve out some kind of life for myself. Every hard job or promotion I took - I kept in mind - this is what give me the ability to provide for my son the way I want to provide. This allows him to go to a good school; this job gives me flexibility so I can spend time at school . . . that was my mantra to keep myself going.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:02 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
How about getting the full package - the sperm doner...along with the sperm maker - there might be a brain and personality attatched to the male - but you might even grow to love him...give it a try.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:22 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila1010 View Post
Truthfully, I have absolutely no interest in becoming a single mom. I want this:[/url]
You need a yenta.

Seriously. If you have no interest in being a single mom then DO NOT DO IT. You will be forever unhappy. (Stop and think for a moment of the effect this has on a child.)

Concentrate on dating. Ask around. Join an online service. Find some nice yenta (matchmaker) who has a nephew who would be perfect for you. Forget the yearning desire to be pregnant and give birth and concentrate on the husband first.

There's no shame in asking for a few introductions and letting your friends know you are available for serious dating. Many of us are here because someone said to our parents, "Have I got a girl (or guy) for you!"

Old 02-08-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Thanks Crocodile - everyone thinks I'm a guy with my screen name. Actually, Ringo is my dog's name and I started out on CD on the pet forum . .

Anyooo, thanks for the nice comment. I love my boy and I am so proud of the man he is becoming.

And it makes all the hard years worth it but they were hard; it feels like I've walked through fire AND walls in order to keep a good job; keep my boy in a nice house in a nice neighborhood; keep him active in school and sports; and carve out some kind of life for myself. Every hard job or promotion I took - I kept in mind - this is what give me the ability to provide for my son the way I want to provide. This allows him to go to a good school; this job gives me flexibility so I can spend time at school . . . that was my mantra to keep myself going.
I have heard my mother tell me that ALL the time.

I ask her how why she decided to quit her job and focus on us. Why she decided to put up with my Dad who can be a total a$$. Why she decided to put up with in-laws. Why she sacrificed so much of her life, her dreams and her everything. Pretty much the same logic. To provide everything she could at her expense, like a candle which melts away. That's the height of human sacrifice and it can come only from a mother.

Here's to hoping other others take a leaf out of your book or already are doing it in their own way. I'm sure they are.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 AM

Why is everyone fixating on the sperm donor/single mother part..... is a woman incapable of finding a stable guy in her 30s?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Why is everyone fixating on the sperm donor/single mother part..... is a woman incapable of finding a stable guy in her 30s?
Hard to find what's not there, or very rare.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:02 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Quote:
No, but there can be tremendous pressure not to waste time. A woman in her 30s who wants a child before she is 40 is not going to want to fool around with a man for a couple of years and then find out that he's not really ready to settle down and isn't sure he wants a kid yet, if ever. That's a valid opinion for a guy to have, and every man has feelings, so nobody wants to be a "waste of time." But some women have the mindset that they just can't take the time to play around with men who aren't serious. I set up a friend of mine with an ex because they seemed to have similar interests, and they wound up dating for four years. He wanted kids, though, and he didn't think he did. She'd tell me, "If I want to have a kid by 40, I have to be pregnant at 39, married by 38, engaged by 37, dating by 36 ..." She'd stress herself out. And I know that the two of them cared for one another, but they wanted different things. They broke up a few years back, and now she's married with a baby.

It's not impossible, but the pressure and stress is real.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
No, but there can be tremendous pressure not to waste time. A woman in her 30s who wants a child before she is 40 is not going to want to fool around with a man for a couple of years and then find out that he's not really ready to settle down and isn't sure he wants a kid yet, if ever. That's a valid opinion for a guy to have, and every man has feelings, so nobody wants to be a "waste of time." But some women have the mindset that they just can't take the time to play around with men who aren't serious. I set up a friend of mine with an ex because they seemed to have similar interests, and they wound up dating for four years. He wanted kids, though, and he didn't think he did. She'd tell me, "If I want to have a kid by 40, I have to be pregnant at 39, married by 38, engaged by 37, dating by 36 ..." She'd stress herself out. And I know that the two of them cared for one another, but they wanted different things. They broke up a few years back, and now she's married with a baby.

It's not impossible, but the pressure and stress is real.
I run into yuppies all the time, men who keep bitching about not finding the one to have a family. What are you all talking about

There has to be other issues in the background

Debt
Age limit
Baggage
Drama
Body weight (my favourite )
Looks department
Ethnicity

Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Quote:
I run into yuppies all the time, men who keep bitching about not finding the one to have a family. What are you all talking about

There has to be other issues in the background

Debt
Age limit
Baggage
Drama
Body weight (my favourite )
Looks department
Ethnicity
That's a discussion for the Relationships forum, not Parenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting