Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 05:30 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Still not on team Dad. Abusers can use all kinds of words to cover their abuse. And yes - emotional abuse is still abuse.

There were all kinds of parenting techniques to handle this situation. I love the idea of wiping the laptop and donating it. How is he teaching her the value of things (like he claims in his follow up) by SHOOTING something? He's not.

If his parenting style involves such violent actions, it's no wonder that his daughter has behavior problems herself.
Exactly - sounds like the father has never reasoned with the kid ever - and controlled the child through threat--looks like there was never any real communication between the two of them - when things are not going as DAD wants- he reaches for a gun? I don't care what an idiot the daughter is..this threat - and that is exactly what DAD is saying with this action - first the computer - NEXT...YOU....does not sound like a safe envrionment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 05:31 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Thanks for posting this, Mattie. It's nice to see "the end of the story." From reading the father's words and the reaction by his daughter, it doesn't look like she'll suffer lifelong trauma. Sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders - for a 15-yr-old - and good old Dad wasn't trying to snoop into daughter's private life. That she offered to let him shoot her phone says she has a pretty good sense of humor, too. They'll be okay. Besides, the dog was the one who spilled the beans!
No you saw her fathers interpretation of his daughters reaction not hers. And perhaps that's really the reason he does not want to go on tv with her, because she will not tell the tale he is spinning right now.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The father issued a statement today:
UPDATE: Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson - Chicago's Best Variety of the 80s, 90s and Now

I have changed my mind 360 degrees after reading through the entire article. It sounds like he made his point and didn't expect it to go out to the world. The best part was how he managed to see the post to start with.
I think you mean you did a 180 .

Old 02-11-2012, 05:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Todays kids need a computer at least for school work and todays generation relies heavily on social media, its just their generation thing, shooting the girls computer seems a bit draconian to make a point,wouldnt denying the girl a week or two use of the computer served as punishment?
As laptops can cost anywhere between $500 to $1500 seems like a real waste of money to destroy the computer.
As this kerfuffle was about the language the girl was using on her facebook page i gotta wonder is it a surprise to the father who solves his problems by shooting the girls computer that the girl uses foul langguage?I'd suspect this girl has been subjected to this type of language and shoot problems her whole life.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Todays kids need a computer at least for school work and todays generation relies heavily on social media, its just their generation thing, shooting the girls computer seems a bit draconian to make a point,wouldnt denying the girl a week or two use of the computer served as punishment?
As laptops can cost anywhere between $500 to $1500 seems like a real waste of money to destroy the computer.
As this kerfuffle was about the language the girl was using on her facebook page i gotta wonder is it a surprise to the father who solves his problems by shooting the girls computer that the girl uses foul langguage?I'd suspect this girl has been subjected to this type of language and shoot problems her whole life.

I agree with that last point as i don't think her daddy is the shining example of fatherhood he makes himself out to be. Chances are in this instance both parties are at fault

Old 02-11-2012, 05:40 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Maybe in America firing off a gun to prove a point might be legal..and acceptable - do that in Toronto - and the child services people would be all over this guy - and he would be awaiting bail...as he sits in the slammer.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:55 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Maybe in America firing off a gun to prove a point might be legal..and acceptable - do that in Toronto - and the child services people would be all over this guy - and he would be awaiting bail...as he sits in the slammer.
There are plenty of places in the US where this action would have been illegal.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There are plenty of places in the US where this action would have been illegal.
Rest assured this being texas it aint one of em :-P.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:18 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Someone cry that man a river.
Oh woe is him, his TYPICAL teenage daughter was ranting on facebook about her parents, someone set us at DEFCON 5 and storm the troops.
What teenager doesn't rant about their parents?
Years ago it was a diary, a note to their friends, over the phone to their friends.
Oh no she used swear words on facebook, what a national emergency.

I seriously think that man needs to get a grip on reality.
Typical teenager whining on facebook about her parents, big deal, who cares?
She swears, who cares?

It sounds like she does actually do a lot and feels over worked and under appreciated.

What a waste of money to shoot the laptop.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:28 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Someone cry that man a river.
Oh woe is him, his TYPICAL teenage daughter was ranting on facebook about her parents, someone set us at DEFCON 5 and storm the troops.
What teenager doesn't rant about their parents?
Years ago it was a diary, a note to their friends, over the phone to their friends.
Oh no she used swear words on facebook, what a national emergency.

I seriously think that man needs to get a grip on reality.
Typical teenager whining on facebook about her parents, big deal, who cares?
She swears, who cares?

It sounds like she does actually do a lot and feels over worked and under appreciated.

What a waste of money to shoot the laptop.
There is a difference between "woe is me" teenage complaining to friends and posting said complaining on fb. Totally agree about the waste of money shooting the laptop. I would've kept it for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting