Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
I have an interview set up with a new center tomorrow. What are some good questions I should ask. Im going to google it like someone else suggested but are there any good ones that I should definitly ask?

the ones I have so far

Do you have a first aid kit and know CPR?

How many caregivers are assigned to my child?

What are the range of activites my child will do on a daily basis?

What happens if I need to drop off or pick up late?

Do you ever take children offsite?

Will I be charged if I go on vacation or my child is sick and misses time?

Are crying babies responded to immediately?
These are all good questions. Is it a center or a home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Quote:
I have an interview set up with a new center tomorrow. What are some good questions I should ask. Im going to google it like someone else suggested but are there any good ones that I should definitly ask?

the ones I have so far

Not all of the questions will apply to your situation, but I thought between the two, the lists were very comprehensive:

Home daycare provider interview sheet | BabyCenter

Choosing Child Care | Child Care Aware
Evaluating Your Child Care Provider | Child Care Aware

I would want to know about the center's licensing, the caregivers' experience/education/training, and whether background checks were done for every employee, in addition to the questions you already have. Good luck tomorrow! Let us know how it goes.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:55 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Also ask if they have been cited for anything by the state licensing body and what the outcome of the cites were.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:02 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
These are all good questions. Is it a center or a home?

A center.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:09 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,273,334 times
Quote:

the ones I have so far

I would ask if they have cameras to. A few daycares near where i live have them so you can check in from time to time online.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:20 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
Quote:

the ones I have so far

This is all based on recalling your baby is still young...hopefully that is correct. :-)

I'd change the first one to where is your first aid kit located, who is authorized to use it and what items from it may be used with my child? (at this age nothing from that kit should be used with the possible exception of antibiotic ointment and a bandaid and you will have to sign permission for even that to be administered) Most states require licensed centers to have a first aid kit with a very specific list of items included, but it must be locked up and only certain staff can access it.

Add to the second one who will be the primary caregiver responsible for the care of your daughter in the AM when you drop her off and in the PM when you pick her up, who else will be providing care and can you meet them all.

Regarding activities are you looking for general things they may do with her or asking for a daily report of what she does? (they should offer a variety of equipment for your child to use such as a bouncy seat, exer-saucer(or whatever they are called these days), high chair, playyard, swing and/or crib
and they never should be left in any given one for longer than about 30 minutes. Car seats should not be used during the day at all, not for sleeping or for the child to just sit in)

Dropping off and picking up late...it's common courtesy to let them know if your child will be arriving or departed at a different time other than when expected. If I recall correctly your daughter is still a baby and that means she should always be in the same room with the same providers no matter what time of day it is(unless there is staff absent and a substitute has to come)

In order to transport infants in most states, the ratio has to be 1 adult to one infant for centers therefore making it cost prohibitive to do so in almost all cases. Home care typically does not have the same requirements. So if they indicate they do take them ask them what the regulations state regarding staff/child ratio, car seats, insurance coverage etc.

Almost all centers, and home providers these days as well, charge based on enrollment and not attendance because the parent is paying for the spot the child takes, not whether they use the spot or not. Some offer vacations, but not many. It's good to know ahead of time how they handle it, but don't go in expecting to pay less when she is not there.

For the last one I'd ask how do you respond to crying babies instead of if they respond immediately. The reason is because there are so many types of cries that need different types of responses and I think it's more important to know what they will do. Also, your child may not be the one crying and you want to know what happens with her if another child is crying while she is being diapered, fed or rocked.

I'd add......

What do I need to provide and what do you provide?
(for example - do they use cloth wash cloths that they launder or wipes that your must provide)

How do you handle sanitation of toys, equipment, sleeping areas? (do they use bleach or another approved sanitation method? How often?)

Do you administer any medication and under what guidelines? (they should NOT administer anything to your child that is not prescription, not even diaper cream)

Do you feed and nap on demand or on a schedule? (when she is tired will they allow her to sleep or will the try to mold her to a schedule that they want?)

Where do they nap and how? (should be within the same room so they can be closely supervised just as they are while awake, they should not share cribs, tops and sides of cribs should not be covered and no toys in the crib)

How do they handle bottles and food items? (Ideally they have their own refrigerator and bottles and jar food should be individually labeled and not be shared. Table food should be cooked and prepared on site by someone with approval to do so. Bottles should not be warmed in microwave and food prep should not be done in the same sink where hand washing occurs)

How do they handle mobile babies versus non mobile, walkers versus crawlers and when do they move to the next classroom? Is it by age or ability or a combination? (some centers have babies 6 weeks - 18 months all in the same room and must have a way to help keep the non mobile babies safe from the rest. Others move babies who begin to walk to another class at that point or they move them at a specific age no matter where they are in mobility)

What is their illness policy? (How many diarrhea diapers before they send home? What temp is the cut off to send home? How do they handle rashes, upset tummies or runny noses?)

That's most of what comes to mind as specific to infants.

The rest is general center policy and if I think of others there I'll try to post back later. Hopefully this helps.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:42 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Also ask if they have been cited for anything by the state licensing body and what the outcome of the cites were.
If you ask a question like that, make sure you also ask what the priority of the particular thing sited for is and whether it was corrected immediately.

Quite often non compliance things are paperwork that hasn't yet been completed and is often a very low level offense that has no direct effect on the care of children. (the new owner of the center I used to work for was rarely in the building, not the director and not a hands on owner so he never had any reason to be directly involved with the children. He had no real reason to obtain any training or anything that the staff was required to have, yet one time he happened to be in the building at the same time licensing staff was there for an inspection and they wrote up the center for him not having all that and required him to meet all the same things the management staff had to do)

Sometimes it is a complaint that has been investigated and ruled unfounded....in other words they could not prove it to be true or they proved that it was false. If it was a complaint that the paper towel dispenser was empty then it's no big deal as long as it was corrected and isn't a constant thing. If it was a complaint that there was improper staff to child ratio then it could be a big deal, it just depends on whether it was real or perceived. We had a parent complain that there was no one in the infant room and while they were correct, there wasn't any infants in there either as they had all gone for the day at that time.

Other times it may be something like a piece of equipment was found broken and they removed it from use right then and there or they still haven't removed it and you want to know what are they doing about it.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:57 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,371 times
Cameras were one of my top priorities when choosing a daycare. The first daycare my dd attended, at 2 yrs old, a teacher's aide grabbed her by her arm and left a bloody scratch. She claimed she "took" her by the arm to make her sit down, not realizing she hurt her. I insisted on seeing the video tape, and it clearly shows her "snatching" my dd by the arm quite aggressively and yanking her to her bottom. Even though she was only 2, my dd was able to articulate quite clearly what really happened, but it would have been a 2 year old's word against an adults if it weren't for that video. And if she'd been a baby too small to talk, they could have told me anything they wanted. Needless to say, I was LIVID. I called DCFS, and removed my dd. After that, any daycare I looked at that didn't have cameras in each classroom I bypassed. Your list looks good and quite complete, but that's just one thing that was important to me.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:02 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
I'm in a bit of a situation and Im not sure what to do.

I had my daughter in a daycare center but they close at 6pm. Around my area its hard to find one that stays open past that and if they do they fill up pretty quickly. So my job is doing a shift bid and I have no idea what my new schedule will be I find out MArch 1st and will start working the new schedule April 1st. The latest that I could possibly work is 11pm.

My Grandma has a home health aid come once a week and she said he sister was opening a daycare and they are open until midnight. So I was like AWESOME, so I go meet her she seems really nice and she said the center would open 2/1/12. So 2/1 comes around i've filled out all my papers told her old daycareand I show up and the lady is like well we havent had our cribs delivered and that she was doing home daycare until then. I was never told this. I wasnt comfortable with it either. I dont like the home daycare thing. But because I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. She said it would only be a few days. Well she still "hasnt gotten the cribs".

The problem that im so concerned about is on 4 different occasions when i've gotten my baby home she is DRENCHED in sweat. I mean soaking. Like she has been in her coat suit all day. The day before yesterday I had to stop at Wal Mart on the way home to grab some diapers so I was about 45 minutes later than I usually am and when I got there she was already in her suit and when I asked the lady said she has just put her in it.

But yesterday was the worst. When I dropped her off she put her directly in her car to "do drop offs for the older kids in school" (I didnt even know she drove with my child. She never mentioned that she did this and I would have never thought to ask) So I was upset but kind of let it go. THEN when I go to pick her up I knock on th door and no one answers so I call the phone and the lady was like im doing the pick ups im almost back. By this time another lady answered the door and just let me and my bf in. #1 she didnt know me from Eve down the street so why would she let me into a house full of children?????? THEN she didnt even introduce herself to me she just watched TV so FINALLY 20 minutes later the lady gets there Im fuming by this point and just take my daughter and leave. SO when I get her home I go to get her out of her seat and she is SOAKING wet and her hat has a wet spot on it because she was sweating so bad. BABYS CAN DIE FROM OVERHEATING AND DEHYDRATION!!!!! So Im livid at this point and have to walk out of the room to try and calm down.

I try to call the woman but she doesnt answer (probably a blessing because she would have heard a few colorful words. So I talk to my mom and she calms me down a bit.

So the next morning we go over there and I tell her we need to talk. I expressed all of my concerns and she makes excuses like yesterday the lady who usually does pick ups was sick so I had to do it blah blah blah. So I told her I was never really comfortable with Trinitee being in a home daycare and it was only supposed to be temporary. SO AGAIN she says the center is supposed to start this coming wednesday. She said she wont take her out of the house today and I told her further going if she needs to do pick ups or drops off to call me or her Dad and we'll have someone we know and trust come get the baby. Because I wasnt comfortable with her driving with her.

So here is my question what would you do???

In my heart I want to pull her from the daycare but I dont know what I would do about my work. Her Dad works nights and goes to school during the day so he isnt available for either one and my Mom cant handle her by herself.

I was thinking since I spoke up she may be on her P's and Q's since she sees that im not a relaxed parent. But I just dont know. Should I give her another chance? My daughters life isnt really something to chance though. Ughhh im just so lost and confused because if I take her out virtually I lose my job and then what?? We go to a shelter? But if I keep her there and God forbid something happens how could I live with myself?

Please help!!

Sorry for the long post.
Sounds to me like you are left with the entire responsibility of this child even though her father is in the home. He needs to suck it up and help you with this situation until a better daycare is found.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Sounds to me like you are left with the entire responsibility of this child even though her father is in the home. He needs to suck it up and help you with this situation until a better daycare is found.
I agree. As I pointed out earlier, he probably isn't in school M-F 8-5. I bet his classes are sporadic and he could and should be taking care of the baby more, and dealing with the day care issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting