Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Excuse me?!?
It's what I hear from watching the news.
I also haven't been in high school since 2008.
You must be watching a different news than me. The constitution is written with built in clauses to be applied in the event that an issue arises that is not covered. The problem is people want to make it something it isnt. There are two options, either there is a constitutional amendment that would allow the gov't to provide birth control which takes a 2/3 majority of the congress as well as 2/3 majority of states which has to be voted on by the citizens, so 2/3 of the country has to vote yes to make an amendment OR it gets sent back to the state and the state decides on a state by state basis whether it wants to allow birth control for free or for 13 year olds or whatever. Thats how it works. The constitution cannot become outdated because it allows for changes. Our founding fathers recognized that the world would not forever be the way it was in the 1770s and thus built in a security system that protected the countrymen as well as the govt.

And it doesnt matter if you are in school or finished ten years ago, you attended the education system in this country and thus your naivety over the constitution is a failure of our education system, as your teachers did not impart how important this document is to the freedom that you enjoy every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:12 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Yeah, people aren't dumb enough to realize that things are different now. The principles, however, are the same. I'm pretty darn sure the founding fathers would have said a huge "heck no" to the federal government providing birth control. By the way, you are aware the Constitution can be amended?
Ok let me rephrase...they KNOW the world has changed but the people who have the power to change are hesitant to change and would much prefer the older values than newer values, which is why we don't need baptist republicans in the white house.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:14 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,329 times
This is quickly turning political and thus belongs in POC but i will say : libertarian.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
This is quickly turning political and thus belongs in POC but i will say : libertarian.
Oh and once its moved it'll shift and take another direction, the political part directly correlates to parents and the way parents in society think about BC and their children. There is a correlation and therefore it should not be moved.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

school house rock i'm just a bill - YouTube

I watch a lot of news and politics and I have never, ever heard of anyone suggesting we throw out the Constitution and start over.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:31 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
In my state, this is a pretty popular "value" actually. I'm 100% sure it would pass if put on a ballot, especially since the voters already passed one stating that minors can get abortion without parental consent. Birth control would pass much easier than that one did.
Chances are it is already legal in your state.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
You must be watching a different news than me. The constitution is written with built in clauses to be applied in the event that an issue arises that is not covered. The problem is people want to make it something it isnt. There are two options, either there is a constitutional amendment that would allow the gov't to provide birth control which takes a 2/3 majority of the congress as well as 2/3 majority of states which has to be voted on by the citizens, so 2/3 of the country has to vote yes to make an amendment OR it gets sent back to the state and the state decides on a state by state basis whether it wants to allow birth control for free or for 13 year olds or whatever. Thats how it works. The constitution cannot become outdated because it allows for changes. Our founding fathers recognized that the world would not forever be the way it was in the 1770s and thus built in a security system that protected the countrymen as well as the govt.

And it doesnt matter if you are in school or finished ten years ago, you attended the education system in this country and thus your naivety over the constitution is a failure of our education system, as your teachers did not impart how important this document is to the freedom that you enjoy every day.
Ah ah ah,you forgot there is also the option of adding it by a national convention .

Old 02-15-2012, 05:35 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Chances are it is already legal in your state.
I'm quite aware that it is. I was just pointing out that the opinion is held by many more people than that poster thought.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
I'm quite aware that it is. I was just pointing out that the opinion is held by many more people than that poster thought.
I'm actually amazed because a lot of parents don't realize their daughters can get it without their approval. My best friend has an ultra conservative mother who flipped when she found out her daughter was able to get BC, and actually marched down to the local PP in which she threw a fit lol.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:13 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Yeah, people aren't dumb enough to realize that things are different now. The principles, however, are the same. I'm pretty darn sure the founding fathers would have said a huge "heck no" to the federal government providing birth control. By the way, you are aware the Constitution can be amended?
I read the Constitution and could find no mention of birth control. Actually most forms thereof had not yet been invented. But thankfully my son waited until he was married to impregnate anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting