Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:57 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,941,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
There are risks with hormonal BC. A parent may rightly feel that being able to control your period is not a good enough reason to be on it. A 14 yo is not going to realize or care about the down side. That's what parents are for.
I know the risks that come with BC.
But most 14 year olds are healthy enough to be on birth control, they aren't over 30 and majority don't smoke and I don't know many 14 year olds who are at risk for clots either.

They would still get it from a doctor who would check them over and evaluate the best thing for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Completely genuinely asking here: what age do you think is appropriate? If 18 is too old and some seem to say that 14 is too young? Is there a reason for the age you think it should be available or is it arbitrary?

Disclaimer: My kids will have access to BC and information about it and safe sex from a young age.
I think 14 is the perfect age.
14 is a freshman in high school.
It's 4 years away from being an adult.
It's a few years into puberty for most girls.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:02 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,015,649 times
Quote:
yes, this, plus what Ivory said about her own history that could affect her daughters. I'm not necessarily saying a 16 or 17 yo shouldn't be able to get BC, but I think at 14, parents need to be in the mix. That is just really young.
Quote:
There are risks with hormonal BC. A parent may rightly feel that being able to control your period is not a good enough reason to be on it. A 14 yo is not going to realize or care about the down side. That's what parents are for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
But the pill SHOULD be an option for girls, no matter the age, maybe 15+ or so but it SHOULD be available.
Condoms break and condoms don't have all the positive benefits birth control does.
we've given you reasons that parents should be aware. It is a drug. You can't go giving kids drugs w/o their parents knowledge. If I had daughters, I'd be open to the idea. I can't help it if other parents are not. Stomping your feet and crying about it because your mom didn't handle it the way you would have liked does not change the fact that it is a medication with side effects.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
we've given you reasons that parents should be aware. It is a drug. You can't go giving kids drugs w/o their parents knowledge. If I had daughters, I'd be open to the idea. I can't help it if other parents are not. Stomping your feet and crying about it because your mom didn't handle it the way you would have liked does not change the fact that it is a medication with side effects.
I'm not stomping my feet and crying.....want me to show you what that ACTUALLY looks like?

I didn't think so.

I am just saying that girls shouldn't have to deal with their parents opposing beliefs just because they are minors.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:05 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,207,397 times
Quote:
Completely genuinely asking here: what age do you think is appropriate? If 18 is too old and some seem to say that 14 is too young? Is there a reason for the age you think it should be available or is it arbitrary?

Disclaimer: My kids will have access to BC and information about it and safe sex from a young age.
15-16 i think. but i doubt you will see age restrictions pop up anytime soon regardless.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I'm not stomping my feet and crying.....want me to show you what that ACTUALLY looks like?

I didn't think so.

I am just saying that girls shouldn't have to deal with their parents opposing beliefs just because they are minors.
Why yes, yes i do

Old 02-11-2012, 10:06 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,890,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
15-16 i think
Ok, why? I think it makes a stronger argument if there's a reason - otherwise the age is just as arbitrary as saying the person must be 18, know what I mean?

Old 02-11-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Ok, why? I think it makes a stronger argument if there's a reason - otherwise the age is just as arbitrary as saying the person must be 18, know what I mean?
I think most 14 year olds won't put any thought process at all on the things they might need to tell the doctor is why. And while i would be a hypocrite of the highest order for saying so, i really don't think 14 year old boys and girls should be having sex to begin with most of the time. However esp at that age they would benefit from some parental insight.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:10 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,015,649 times
Quote:

I didn't think so.

Yes they should! That is part of being a minor! At age 16 or 17... maybe, but not at 14. No way.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Why 15-16?
Well I agree with LK on this one so I will answer too.

15/16 is about the average age guys/girls become sexually active, whether or not their parents agree with it.
If their parents aren't going to take them then they should be able to take themselves and get birth control so THEY can take responsibility for their bodies and not getting pregnant. Their parents are just going to stick their heads in the sand and think if they don't get it their daughter won't have sex which is wrong, she will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting