Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:27 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,329 times

Advertisements

he did say "last" in their class....so that may be a little different

Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
he did say "last" in their class....so that may be a little different
I still don't see how it pertains to this thread. Is the poster trying to say that only a doctor who was last in his 3rd world class would "fire" a non vaccinating patient?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:59 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post

And finally - people who don't do certain vaccines don't make that decision based on the fact that since you're doing it their child will be safe. They do it because they don't feel the risk of the disease is that big. Whether you agree with this or not, that is the reason many skip certain vaccinations.
That's right. The risk of getting the disease is not that great, because the rest of us have vaccinated our children against it.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I still don't see how it pertains to this thread. Is the poster trying to say that only a doctor who was last in his 3rd world class would "fire" a non vaccinating patient?
I agree. When I read it i thought "whats with the random thought, is it just make a thought about doctors day" but i was just saying there was a difference between a third world educated doctor and a last in his class educated dr, no matter where he was educated.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
That's right. The risk of getting the disease is not that great, because the rest of us have vaccinated our children against it.

Or its not a particularly bad disease. There seems to be more vaccines created simply because the illness is inconvenient or troublesome. The chicken pox vaccine for example. Yes children die from the chicken pox. But its an amount thats hardly worth talking about. I have had the chicken pox vaccine but thats only because by the age of 16 I had not come in contact with it. Some parents feel that building a natural immunity from contact is better than a vaccine. So if your child can just get chicken pox from the neighbor and move on, then so be it. Of course children should be vaccinated again polio mumps etc. But some are extraneous almost.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:09 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
I can see this happening, medicine is a business. Mormon businesses hire like minds around where I live, I guess doctors can customize their patients to match their beliefs as they see it a waist of time to weed through the ones that disagree with anything they believe in. It saves them time and increases the dollar amount. I guess firing patients includes the families that won't loose weight and won't stop drinking, or smoking. Those would be a waist of time as well.
I don't think the spreading of illness would be a great concern, it's rare to have a patient with measles or mumps, maybe a good excuse to used because even people with vaccines can catch these things depending on their immunity, plus, wouldn't you lose sleep over a baby being exposed to any illness that could cause harm?. There are plenty with the flu and other things like staph that could hurt a baby that go to the doctor along side of them. I'm sure he doesn't think if all his patients got the flu vaccine then he wouldn't have to deal with treating the flu, does he? I guess he could require immunity tests at a certain age to make sure all his patients couldn't possibly get ill from vaccine related disease if he wanted to.
It seems to make sense when money is the issue though, and, doctors are operating a business, I can see that it would make his office more efficient as a business so why not. I think it's naive to forget that doctors make a profit just like any other business and that we don't have socialize medicine here. Each office is individual.
I'm glad, I would want to know if this is how my doctor felt, I would also want the choice to go to him or not. For me I would avoid a doctor like this but some would be of like mind and love to be exclusive. It's good for all I believe.
I'd love a doctor where all the patients exercised, ate well, didn't drink or smoke. If he prescribed only necessary meds and gave holistic advice as well as life style changes. Looked into root causes like vitamin deficiencies instead of just treating the symptoms with prescriptions right away, especially nice if 1/2 the moms in the waiting room weren't addicted to prescription pain meds. I'd be part of that club. It could be cool to see what customized doctors come up with.

Maybe you could have some just for fat people. Some just for party people. lol It will be an interesting turn of events in the future of the medicine business that's for sure.

Last edited by PoppySead; 02-15-2012 at 11:28 AM..

Old 02-15-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I agree. When I read it i thought "whats with the random thought, is it just make a thought about doctors day" but i was just saying there was a difference between a third world educated doctor and a last in his class educated dr, no matter where he was educated.
Maybe only the 3rd world docs would see the unvaccinated. lol You could start matching everyone up with what everyone thinks they deserve.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I don't know if you intentionally missed the point or not, but that isn't what I said.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Or its not a particularly bad disease. There seems to be more vaccines created simply because the illness is inconvenient or troublesome. The chicken pox vaccine for example. Yes children die from the chicken pox. But its an amount thats hardly worth talking about. I have had the chicken pox vaccine but thats only because by the age of 16 I had not come in contact with it. Some parents feel that building a natural immunity from contact is better than a vaccine. So if your child can just get chicken pox from the neighbor and move on, then so be it. Of course children should be vaccinated again polio mumps etc. But some are extraneous almost.
One day far in the future there will be stories of this dreaded disease called "Chicken Pox". It will become nastier and nastier until it's just a nasty thought of the past. It will have killed millions in the end. Just like measles and mumps.
We tend to be a hyper society. But, why not just get it for convenience? That way you can still see a doctor for other things like the flu or an earache.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:40 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Ah, we almost got through three whole pages before the vax debate started.

I agree that doctors have the right to refuse to treat patients in their practice if the patient is noncompliant with treatment recommendations. It has ethical and liability ramifications for the physician.

That being said, the pediatric practice I use will accept patients who are not on a standard vax schedule (not why I chose them; I am a big believer in the standard vax schedule). I thought the reason was interesting: the docs there believe that they will better be able to recognize and treat the severe illnesses early on in those patients whose parents choose not to vaccinate them, in the event that they do become ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting