Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 12:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Yea, except every once in a while you get something like a new flu strain that kills in large numbers, kids with asthma or who are immuno-compromised for whom even a cold can be fatal, or like this latest enterovirus 68 which has sent tons of kids to the ER and has left a number paralyzed.
Yea, it's just the sniffles, tough it out - until it isn't.
You won't have to worry about enterovirus 68 much longer. Its "season" is summer and it tapers off towards the end of fall.

Non-Polio Enterovirus Infection: Enterovirus D68 (EV-D68) - CDC

Read that CDC link. Adults aren't as affected because they've built up immunity via previous enterovirus infections. That's further proof that you're not helping your son by preventing him from catching common viruses. His having asthma is all the more reason to build up his immunity. btw, I have asthma. A strong immune system is the best defense for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 07:44 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
OK, it's high time we take effective measures, and wise up...with this new virus that kids are getting all over our nation, it's high time we do keep our kids home if they are sick...there are diseases attacking our kids, that never happened before, and one kid died, plus now 5 other kids are sick with the same disease in NJ. This is serious, and with the news constantly reporting on it, and talking about washing hands a lot...parenting begins at home, it is no one else's job but yours, if you do not implement wise choices and good parenting your kids will grow up not knowing the importance of little things like constant hand washing.

My God, at work a man who is a fellow employee told me, the men who enter the rest room are worse then women, b/c they don't wash their hands afterwards? Where did that come from? Parenting.

If you talk on the telephone while you drive in front of your kids, your kids will copy you and think it's all right.

If you take your kids out when sick your infecting a whole lot of older folks who also go to the same places you go to.

It is high time people wake up and stop making excuses...be more aware, not only of yourself and your own families, but also the families of others who you will effect. I mean how long did it take for the entrovirus to effect kids all over this country? Not long! Why? Think about it, and start thinking of the effects your decissions have on others.

I've got people coming into work with bronchitis and phnemoia, all the time, Why? Especially in this day and age, with the abililty to work from home?

Crazy, absolutely crazy!

Our government may be so totally unaware, but that doesn't mean we as parents have to be the same way, please wake up.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
^^^While I agree with the majority of your post, it is untrue that enterovirus68 is something that has never been seen in the US before. There have been previous outbreaks. This one seems quite large. One of the nurses at the peds office where I work got it, too.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
OK, it's high time we take effective measures, and wise up...with this new virus that kids are getting all over our nation, it's high time we do keep our kids home if they are sick...there are diseases attacking our kids, that never happened before, and one kid died, plus now 5 other kids are sick with the same disease in NJ. This is serious, and with the news constantly reporting on it, and talking about washing hands a lot...parenting begins at home, it is no one else's job but yours, if you do not implement wise choices and good parenting your kids will grow up not knowing the importance of little things like constant hand washing.
Nonesense. It most certainly has happened before. Childhood illnesses, particularly polio, were a constant concern for my parent's generation, and my genealogy files read like a history of infectious disease. Of course we all need to be vigilent about practicing good hygiene and taking care to prevent the spread of disease when we are ill, but let's not overstate things. Humanity has been coping with infectious disease since the very beginning. The last century, during which time antibiotics and vaccines came into wide use, has just lulled us into complacency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^^While I agree with the majority of your post, it is untrue that enterovirus68 is something that has never been seen in the US before. There have been previous outbreaks. This one seems quite large. One of the nurses at the peds office where I work got it, too.
I got it, and it knocked me on my can.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Nonesense. It most certainly has happened before. Childhood illnesses, particularly polio, were a constant concern for my parent's generation, and my genealogy files read like a history of infectious disease. Of course we all need to be vigilent about practicing good hygiene and taking care to prevent the spread of disease when we are ill, but let's not overstate things. Humanity has been coping with infectious disease since the very beginning. The last century, during which time antibiotics and vaccines came into wide use, has just lulled us into complacency.

No it isn't nonesense, I have not ever seen this in MY lifetime, and since I was a child, things have sorely changed....when we were sick our parents didn't take us out anywhere....so as not to get others sick. I was born in 1948 and I can remember how people took care, and not only cared for their families, but cared for others and didn't want to make others sick....

You can say what you wish but in fact, it's denial...and why are you arguing the fact anyway, what purpose have you to do so, so you think it's fine to take your kids out and get so many others sick....infect so many other kids...

When are you going to see, what is actually going on right now is proof. I'm not saying its a cure, but in fact it would certainly be considerate and taking precautions..preventative maintenance.

Last edited by Jaded; 10-13-2014 at 02:48 PM..

Old 10-09-2014, 08:09 AM

Enterovirus 68 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Since its discovery in 1962, EV68 has been described mostly sporadically in isolated cases. Six clusters (equal to or more than 10 cases) or outbreaks between 2005 and 2011 have been reported from the Philippines, Japan, the Netherlands, and the states of Georgia, Pennsylvania and Arizona in the United States."

Old 10-09-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Enterovirus 68 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Since its discovery in 1962, EV68 has been described mostly sporadically in isolated cases. Six clusters (equal to or more than 10 cases) or outbreaks between 2005 and 2011 have been reported from the Philippines, Japan, the Netherlands, and the states of Georgia, Pennsylvania and Arizona in the United States."
well, I'll tell you what, its a heck of a lot more widespread now....and perhaps that was written before this outbreak....

so, believe what you wish, but if you are unable to see the seriousness in this, and what we all have to do to help, then there is no hope....

if we don't all work together and inconvenience ourselves for a while, the long term effects of not doing so, will certainly raise the hair on the back of your necks.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
well, I'll tell you what, its a heck of a lot more widespread now....and perhaps that was written before this outbreak....

so, believe what you wish, but if you are unable to see the seriousness in this, and what we all have to do to help, then there is no hope....

if we don't all work together and inconvenience ourselves for a while, the long term effects of not doing so, will certainly raise the hair on the back of your necks.
That article was written after the outbreak started. There's a whole section on the outbreak. When did I say it wasn't serious?

Old 10-09-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
That article was written after the outbreak started. There's a whole section on the outbreak. When did I say it wasn't serious?
you didn't say it wasn't serious, I'm simply sharing my thoughts Katiana....

Old 10-09-2014, 08:26 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
No it isn't nonesense, I have not ever seen this in MY lifetime, and since I was a child, things have sorely changed....when we were sick our parents didn't take us out anywhere....so as not to get others sick. I was born in 1948 and I can remember how people took care, and not only cared for their families, but cared for others and didn't want to make others sick....

You can say what you wish but in fact, it's denial...and why are you arguing the fact anyway, what purpose have you to do so, so you think it's fine to take your kids out and get so many others sick....infect so many other kids...

When are you going to see, what is actually going on right now is proof. I'm not saying its a cure, but in fact it would certainly be considerate and taking precautions..preventative maintenance.
Did you even read my post? The nonsense to which I refer is your contention that diseases attacking children have never happened before. That is complete and total bunk. My parents and grandparents generation were terrified of polio, measles, and typhoid among many other diseases. My father nearly died from a childhood respiratory infection. He was given last rights, and my grandmother had started to make funeral arrangements, before he experienced a recovery that was nothing short of miraculous.

I am not arguing at all that we need to be vigilent and take active steps to prevent the spread of disease, not least of which is keeping our kids at home when they are ill. And as someone who is on powerful immunosuppressant therapy to fight a chronic disease, believe me, it frustrates me beyond words to see obviously sick people in public. I am basically on self-imposed quarantine at this time of year! But to say that nothing like this has ever happened before? That's an egregious overstatement.

Last edited by randomparent; 10-09-2014 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: cleaned up the quoted portion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting