Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:57 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,267,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I am currently home with a sick child as well... She has been home for 3 days now. I don't undserstand the parents who send their children to school sick, but if it is just a cold, they can go.

Here's a ? My daughter had strep a few months ago, I didn't send her to school for 2 days. I waited for a full 2 days with the antibiotic. A mon I k own said her son gets step often and she sends him right after they get the antibiotic, she sometimes doesn't wait out a 24 hour period...
What is the "protocol"? For something like that?
I know they are usually more contagious prior to getting treatment....
When my kids were little and got strep, if they were into the dr first thing in the morning and had their first dose of antibiotic say at 9 or 10 am, I would send them the next day if they were feeling ok. If they didn't get the antibiotic until late in the day, say 3-4 PM, I would keep them home. The thing people forget is that they were just as contagious the day before you took them to the doctor too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 01:30 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,391 times
If we had kept our kids home with a cold, they wouldn't have gone to school very often. We never used hand sanitizer. Then again it wasn't the "in" thing when my kids were growning up.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:51 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,363,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Oh yeah. Not to mention, one of the biggest reasons I don't drag my kid out to crowded public spaces even with a minor cold is because his immune system is already somewhat compromised so he's more vulnerable to catching some other more serious nastiness on top of that. When you're sick, you need to stay home and rest, whether a kid or an adult. It surprises me that other parents don't seem to give a crap. I won't even start on people dragging out weeks-old newborns into the midst of pre-christmas shopping crowds and the like ...

So many "parents" will use the argument that they "just have to take their kids out with them because they couldn't get a sitter..." yakkity shmakkity.
Then just stay home and wait for a better time, folks. Sometimes it really IS about the kids and not YOUR schedule...

Old 02-16-2012, 02:46 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,891,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I am currently home with a sick child as well... She has been home for 3 days now. I don't undserstand the parents who send their children to school sick, but if it is just a cold, they can go.

Here's a ? My daughter had strep a few months ago, I didn't send her to school for 2 days. I waited for a full 2 days with the antibiotic. A mon I k own said her son gets step often and she sends him right after they get the antibiotic, she sometimes doesn't wait out a 24 hour period...
What is the "protocol"? For something like that?
I know they are usually more contagious prior to getting treatment....
My doctor says that they are not contagious after taking the antibiotics for 24 hours.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:50 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,490,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
So many "parents" will use the argument that they "just have to take their kids out with them because they couldn't get a sitter..." yakkity shmakkity.
Then just stay home and wait for a better time, folks. Sometimes it really IS about the kids and not YOUR schedule...
I know... I don't have a sitter ( first anything) so I just stay home... Going on 3 days of being in the house with a sick child, hubby out of town & no adult contact! It is great fun, but it is what must be done when you have a sick one!

Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,631,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Exposing kids to germs at a young age actually boosts their immune system. If a child just has a cold, I don't see the need to isolate them, for something worse than that, yes, stay home. Your hand sanitizer is actually harming your child more than it is helping and "keeping your child healthy" will backfire down the road when he is in school.
You hit it right on the nail! Good post.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:35 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,707,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Okay, this is just a rant - but I'm so sick (no pun intended) of stupid parents who drag their sick kids out everywhere!! I have a two year old that I stay at home with; we go to different activities like mommy and me classes, storytime at the library, etc. And I'm appalled by how many moms bring in their kids who are obviously sick and then just sit there letting the kids cough/sneeze/drool/puke over everything spreading their germs around! Ugh, it just makes me so mad every time. I mean, I can somewhat understand a working parent bringing in a mildly unwell child to a full-time daycare, when the parent is out of sick time or has a crisis at work. But stay-at-home-moms who take sick kids to play activities, especially ones in enclosed indoor spaces - urrrgggh!
I try hard to keep my son healthy, always carry sanitizer wipes, wash hands and take him away when I see another kid coughing a lung out but there's only so much I can do. When he is sick I stay home with him for a few days or if he feels okay we'll go for a walk in the park or something but out in the fresh air where he won't be infecting anyone. And yea I know it sucks to be stuck home with a sick toddler but that's not an excuse. Why can't other people be a bit more considerate?
This particular rant was 'inspired' by my friend's day today at her daughter's preschool, which is 'parent-participation' - meaning the parents there stay with the kids the whole time. She told me one of the boys in the class looked really sick from the morning, was pale, sweaty, kept lying around on his mother's lap - and then proceeded to throw up. My friend was thinking they'd leave right away, but no - they hung around, waiting until the end of the day by which point the boy threw up again, yet I guess the mother wanted to make sure she gets her money's worth out of the class. It's obviously the preschool's fault too for not kicking them out right away - they really should have, instead they just cleaned it up with some bleach and let them stay, but come on - how retarded do you have to be to keep a puking kid in a class when you're right there with him and could take him home?? I just have no words for this. I've had the stomach flu last year and it just traumatized the hell out of me - people like that just make me want to just never leave the house

Parents, for the love of God - PLEASE KEEP YOUR KIDS HOME WHEN THEY'RE SICK!!!
Actually, shame on the school for letting that kid who just threw up stay for the rest of the day. Even if the mother does not have enough common sense to make the right choice, at that point the school should make the choice for her for the sake of the other kids.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:57 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,594,017 times
I'm surprised you can keep them home. Our school only allows a certain amount of sick days. If you go past that you can expect to go to court and explain all the absences. I hate it, I have to judge if the illness is bad enough or how bad it could get by the end of the day. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. If I think they will make it and send them I get a nasty call from the nurse, if I keep them home for every cold, I get a nasty call from the attendance office. What do you do?

Old 02-16-2012, 05:03 PM

831 posts, read 2,824,741 times
This is silly. If people, especially kids weren't exposed to germs we'd all die. I hate the fact that schools make kids stay home when sick with common colds.
Bet you won't feel this way when your kid grows up and has no immune system due to too much santizer.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:33 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,382,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
Bet you won't feel this way when your kid grows up and has no immune system due to too much santizer.
You know, I think that's what caused polio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting