Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:19 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You are right, of course. I was mostly poking a bit of fun at the extreme views on a topic which, in the grand scheme of things, is not that big a deal.
It is not that big of a deal ... if you are not one of the small number of people who have a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 01:21 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It is not that big of a deal ... if you are not one of the small number of people who have a problem.
LOL--I'm not going to argue with you, but you are sort of making my point.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
LOL--I'm not going to argue with you, but you are sort of making my point.
What IS your point? That because the number of people who have issues is small one should not bother trying to not be one of those people?

Old 05-09-2012, 01:38 PM

My point is that when you get your ears pierced, whether it's at the doctor, the mall, or by professional piercer, you might have problems. But if you do have problems with the piercing, they are not going to be big problems. So, try not to agonize over the decision. Get you or your childrens' ears pierced wherever you think is best, take care of them as directed and if they get infected, take the earrings out, clean them up, let them heal and if you like, try again.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
My point is that when you get your ears pierced, whether it's at the doctor, the mall, or by professional piercer, you might have problems. But if you do have problems with the piercing, they are not going to be big problems. So, try not to agonize over the decision. Get you or your childrens' ears pierced wherever you think is best, take care of them as directed and if they get infected, take the earrings out, clean them up, let them heal and if you like, try again.
If that is your desired approach, that is cool. I don't see how making an informed decision equates to "agonizing". The fact of the matter is, which choice you make can effect the risks to your outcome. How it is done and the advice you are given are different in real ways. Infection is not the only risk. There is migration and ... can't remember what the bumps are called. How you handle scar tissue, bumps etc. are going to be different based on different advice that you get.

It seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to think about.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:54 PM

Well, you better keep thinking about it then.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Well, you better keep thinking about it then.
I'm good, thanks!

Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I'm just back from the tattoo and piercing shop. I have now had my ears pierced in the 1980's with a gun at a mall jewelry store, and today by a piercer with a needle. Two totally different experiences.

At the mall, they took the time to make a dot on each ear, then do one at a time. I had to keep the piercing studs in for several weeks. I never had a problem with them until 25 years later when I could only get an earring half way through. I don't know what part of the gun touched my ears, but the studs leave with the customer, so those had to have been not previously used.

Today I was taken to a private room (kind of like getting your brows waxed at the salon). The piercer had a tray like you'd see surgical instruments or dental instruments on. He soaked my earrings in a sanitizing solution and took several minutes to prep his instruments. He explained what he was doing every step of the way. He put dots on my ears to aim for, and used a biopsy needle to make the pierce, then inserted my own earrings. He sent me away with instructions and a little bag of salt to make a solution with.

The piercer seems to take what he does seriously, and seems to really know what he's doing. Not sure about the jewelry store employees with the guns. In any case, it probably isn't a huge deal either way, but I'd choose the professional piercer.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:08 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Infection is not the only risk. There is migration and ... can't remember what the bumps are called. How you handle scar tissue, bumps etc. are going to be different based on different advice that you get.

It seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to think about.
Keloids. And they are not pleasant - believe me.

I'm one of those that had a horrible experience at the mall. The piercing was a tad up higher on the ear than the lobe, but it shattered the cartilage, but extremely painful, and developed a keloid, which thankfully went away after I took out the piercing. I personally would never have a piercing done in the mall again.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:29 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
I'm not really understanding the animosity displayed here. I did a bit of research before taking my daughter to have her ears pierced, and thought it worth sharing here. What exactly is the problem with researching options?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting