Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

I understand the notion that we are supposed to present food, and the child will eat if hungry. However, kids need to learn that if they don't eat now, it may be their last chance for several hours.

I have a niece who routinely chooses not to eat when the rest of the family (10-12 people when we're all together) eats. An hour later when she decided she's hungry somebody has to make or buy her something. I think it is ridiculous that she is catered to that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 01:52 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,896 times
I made my kids breakfast. If they chose not to eat, they had to wait for lunch.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:18 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
So I am sitting at work, nearly chewing on my sleeve I am so hungry, which is strange because I am hardly ever hungry in the morning.

It got me thinking, I haven't been MADE to eat something for breakfast since elementary school, by middle school, I ate in the AM if I felt like eating something.

So my question is:

Do you make your kids eat something in the morning, even if they aren't someone who likes to eat soon after they wake up? If so, how old do you do that until?
MAKE another person eat? Never. Not to mention that would require me to prepare it. I point at the kitchen and say, there it is.

Now sometimes my daughter does enjoy making ME breakfast, for which I am profoundly grateful.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
MMMMM yeah them hormones are MUCH better for you .
What hormones? Are you talking about bovine growth hormone? We have labels that indicate the presence or absence of the hormone in the producing cow. This does not happen everywhere?

Old 02-19-2012, 03:59 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
MAKE another person eat? Never. Not to mention that would require me to prepare it. I point at the kitchen and say, there it is.

Now sometimes my daughter does enjoy making ME breakfast, for which I am profoundly grateful.

WHOOOOSHHH
You know what that sound is?
It going over your head.

Small children, you feed them in the morning, would you point to a 4 year old and be like theres the eggs fry your own ****?

No, what I was saying was pretty much, do parents make sure their kids eat breakfast every morning?

I proceeded to state that till about middle school I ate breakfast and after about 7th grade I started picking and choosing when I ate breakfast.

When I was little my mom always made sure I had SOMETHING in the morning, or I went to school and ate breakfast.
After I hit about 12 or 13, I stopped eating breakfast every morning and my mom didn't try to get me to eat, I took a snack for in class so I could eat if i got hungry before lunch.

I was only asking because SOME parents will make sure their kids eat something in the morning before school no matter their age.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
WHOOOOSHHH
It going over your head.
Actually I think very little goes over somebodynew's head. Plus her answer made me laugh.

(I think it's great that you appreciate your daughter cooking for you somebodynew. )

Let's see.... Did I make my kids eat. No, I didn't have to. They were chowhounds because they were so active. In fact them not wanting to eat was usually a sign they were sick.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
WHOOOOSHHH
It going over your head.

Small children, you feed them in the morning, would you point to a 4 year old and be like theres the eggs fry your own ****?
Deleted so JustJulia doesn't have to.

Quote:
No, what I was saying was pretty much, do parents make sure their kids eat breakfast every morning?
And I answered. Which I will not really be doing with you any further.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:15 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Deleted so JustJulia doesn't have to.

And I answered. Which I will not really be doing with you any further.
I'm sorry but yet again SOMEONE here (you) had a problem with how I worded something.

You got that attitude, "if my kids wanted something they go it for themselves, didn't just do for them attitude" when that is not the tone of the thread.

The whole point of the thread is about parents and up to what age they make sure their kids at least eat SOMETHING before school.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I understand the notion that we are supposed to present food, and the child will eat if hungry. However, kids need to learn that if they don't eat now, it may be their last chance for several hours.

I have a niece who routinely chooses not to eat when the rest of the family (10-12 people when we're all together) eats. An hour later when she decided she's hungry somebody has to make or buy her something. I think it is ridiculous that she is catered to that way.

No it is the hour later that someone not make or but her something that teaches that lesson, not making her eat at meal time. So yes I think it is ridiculous too.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:18 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
I feel like txt and this guy should date....

//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...meals-day.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting