Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
More princess mentality:

Pampered Princess Mini Spa ("Celebrates feminity [sic] and helps aid self esteem in little girls and teenagers" ... with a picture of a Hummer limo)
Here's an interesting question. Is it the people who make the products projecting something onto the kids, or is it the parents who buy these things projecting something onto the kids?

Throughout this thread many parents have discussed this issue, but not one of them said, "I did everything I could, but my daughter got sucked into this swirling vortex of princess, spoiled brat culture."

IMO, these things exist because parents are buying them for their kids, most often because it is the parents that are projecting their views onto their children. We debate the "Toddlers and Tiaras" thing and one of the common statements is that, "it is obviously the parents doing this to fill their own desires".

I'm willing to bet when you meet a spoiled pampered princess that just also happens to be a mom, her daughters are going to be spoiled pampered princesses as well, complete with all the regalia. Perhaps there is a rise in these kinds of products and marketing, because there are larger numbers of "pampered parents" that are pushing the same on their kids.

Basically, there is nothing to fear from this if you are a normal parent. Watching the Little Mermaid, Mulan, etc. is not going to give your child a perverted sense of reality. If they end up with a perverted sense of reality, it is most likely because the parents have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 08:45 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,352 times
Quote:
The article mentioned stickers saying "it's all about ME" and "spoiled princess," like it's a good thing to be a spoiled little princess.

But this is not just a "princessy" thing these days.
Kids, by and large, are taught entitlement, everyone gets a sticker and all that.
And as we see in the Occupy movement, plenty of "adults" feel they are entitled as well.

If you look at any one of the pageant threads here (Toddlers and Tiaras, etc.), you can see that many people worry that little girls are being raised beyond mere girlishness. Makeup, grown-up clothes, high heels, etc., can have their place in any little girl's dress-up drawer, but I think most people (on this board at least) would agree that some pageant parents take it way too far. And we all can see the fallout, with overindulged, coddled little snots who can't have a normal relationship with anyone.

Those shows/pageants should be illegal; at the very least, they should be considered child endangerment, IMO. I could be overreacting, but that's just how they strike me.

This is what the article is about, not "pink is bad" or "girls should act like boys." It's the question whether Disney and other marketers are encouraging the spoiled brat mentality among girls.
I don't think Disney princesses encourage brattiness in the least.
If other marketers are doing that in a Toddlers & Tiaras way, that's one thing.
But when girls love princess things and all that, I know that's a no-no for the feminazis but I don't see an issue.
I would never lump Disney's view of "princesses" in with the term "diva;" that's a non-issue.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:31 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
So I don't really remember any of the movies too well...

But didn't all the "princesses" have something they wanted that they had to work HARD for, huge obstacles they had to overcome, nothing they "wanted" was handed to them. They had to fight for what they wanted and usually it wasn't what everyone else wanted so they we're following their hearts and doing what felt right to them and not everyone else....

Old 02-22-2012, 03:36 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
So I don't really remember any of the movies too well...

But didn't all the "princesses" have something they wanted that they had to work HARD for, huge obstacles they had to overcome, nothing they "wanted" was handed to them. They had to fight for what they wanted and usually it wasn't what everyone else wanted so they we're following their hearts and doing what felt right to them and not everyone else....
No. Snow White, for example. She didn't overcome anything; she was rescued. Same with Sleeping Beauty.

"Follow your heart" is a pretty recent phenomenon in Disney movies, along with the overly feel-good messages.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:59 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
No. Snow White, for example. She didn't overcome anything; she was rescued. Same with Sleeping Beauty.

"Follow your heart" is a pretty recent phenomenon in Disney movies, along with the overly feel-good messages.
Yes, even Cinderella, just had to have small feet. Sleeping beauty took a nap.

As for giving it all up for a man, ala little mermaid, I think giving up your family, friends, etc "for the right guy" is a recipe for controlling, isolating behavior.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:01 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

As for giving it all up for a man, ala little mermaid, I think giving up your family, friends, etc "for the right guy" is a recipe for controlling, isolating behavior.
Lol.
You people make me giggle.

There is a HUGE difference between a guy making a girl give up her friends and family to be with him and a mermaid longing for life on shore and falling in love with a man she rescues and having to choose between one world or the other....

Old 02-22-2012, 04:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

Cinderella was a slave to her step mother and step sisters, and her parents both died, and sleeping beauty was put under a spell that was supposed to have killed her.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:48 PM

But Sleeping Beauty didn't overcome anything--txtqueen suggested that the Disney princesses were all heroines who conquered all odds to follow their dreams. The prince and fairies defeated Maleficent while Sleeping Beauty was asleep.

Don't get me wrong: I am not saying that Disney princesses are some kind of failures because they are not role models. They were not created to be role models, except perhaps the later ones like Belle and Mulan. I am just pointing out that the earlier, classic princesses were not particularly heroic.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
I am just pointing out that the earlier, classic princesses were not particularly heroic.
Well, Snow White did manage to get Grumpy to take a bath.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Here's an interesting question. Is it the people who make the products projecting something onto the kids, or is it the parents who buy these things projecting something onto the kids?

Throughout this thread many parents have discussed this issue, but not one of them said, "I did everything I could, but my daughter got sucked into this swirling vortex of princess, spoiled brat culture."

IMO, these things exist because parents are buying them for their kids, most often because it is the parents that are projecting their views onto their children. We debate the "Toddlers and Tiaras" thing and one of the common statements is that, "it is obviously the parents doing this to fill their own desires".

I'm willing to bet when you meet a spoiled pampered princess that just also happens to be a mom, her daughters are going to be spoiled pampered princesses as well, complete with all the regalia. Perhaps there is a rise in these kinds of products and marketing, because there are larger numbers of "pampered parents" that are pushing the same on their kids.

Basically, there is nothing to fear from this if you are a normal parent. Watching the Little Mermaid, Mulan, etc. is not going to give your child a perverted sense of reality. If they end up with a perverted sense of reality, it is most likely because the parents have one.
Uncle Goat, I meant to respond earlier but realized that I did not. I agree with what you wrote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting