Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 03:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times

Advertisements

I have some nice photos in a hallway. And some candid snapshots in smaller frames in built in shelves, in the hall. I have a darling photo of granddaughter when she was quite little, framed and hung among photos that surround my TV in our living area.

I have a few others scattered about as well.

But I have a ton of candids on my phone and tablet! I am a snapshooter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 04:43 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPLove View Post
This is a very old thread now, from 2012. But I Googled the subject of family pics in the living room, and this thread appeared in the results.

I am starting to wonder if it is a tradition that is fading with digital pictures. With being able to snap a picture any second, anywhere, and post it to places like Instagram and Facebook...maybe people are valuing physical pictures less. A couple of my immediate relatives don't keep family pics in the living room ...even strangers I subscribe to on social media. When they film their living rooms, there's no family pics to be found in some homes. Some of them look like show homes. I am wondering if it's a privacy issue because they are on social media, but then....why would they be a social media family then? I'm thinking people can't be bothered going and printing off digital pics. Not sure.

Anyone have an opinion on this or notice a difference from years ago? I definitely have family pics, old and new, with artwork, posters, various decor.
Maybe some people view family photos as intrusive, or cluttered looking. My "décor" is definitely not anything out of House and Garden but it satisfies my simple pleasures immensely.

On my media credenza in the living room I have a beautiful black and white photo of my mother and father on their wedding day, next to that a black and white photo of us three older children dressed up as cowboys, to the right of those a color photo of all of my brothers and sisters together as adults. At the very end I have an Infant Jesus of Prague statue/figurine which was gifted to me by my mother.

These photos especially are very meaningful and cherished by me, my mother and father are deceased as are two of my brothers, both younger than my sister and myself.

Various photos of my children are in my bedroom and I enjoy the fond memories they bring back to me.

All the photos on display are for my pleasure. If I have a visitor and they ask or comment about the photos I will engage them in discussion if they inquire but otherwise...no.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Maybe some people view family photos as intrusive, or cluttered looking. My "décor" is definitely not anything out of House and Garden but it satisfies my simple pleasures immensely.

On my media credenza in the living room I have a beautiful black and white photo of my mother and father on their wedding day, next to that a black and white photo of us three older children dressed up as cowboys, to the right of those a color photo of all of my brothers and sisters together as adults. At the very end I have an Infant Jesus of Prague statue/figurine which was gifted to me by my mother.

These photos especially are very meaningful and cherished by me, my mother and father are deceased as are two of my brothers, both younger than my sister and myself.

Various photos of my children are in my bedroom and I enjoy the fond memories they bring back to me.

All the photos on display are for my pleasure. If I have a visitor and they ask or comment about the photos I will engage them in discussion if they inquire but otherwise...no.
Exactly. You have photos around you that make you happy. If we can’t please ourselves in our own homes, when in the world can we?

Old 11-15-2019, 03:52 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Exactly. You have photos around you that make you happy. If we can’t please ourselves in our own homes, when in the world can we?
Agreed

Old 11-15-2019, 05:49 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
So I was wondering how many photos do you display in your home? And why or why not.
In my living room I have a large (16"x20") framed professional photo of myself and my son that was taken when he was two years old. Both of us very dressed up. It's one of the very few photos of myself that I like, because mine is the kind of face that the camera hates. In almost all photos I look downright ugly (needless to say, I would NEVER take a selfie! And I won't use Skype either.) Of course it helps that I was in my early 30s at the time AND that pro photographers always touch the images up to hide flaws. In another wall frame I have a photo of my dad at age 16 and of myself taken at the same age, mounted side by side; we look so much alike that everyone who has seen that photo has said "I didn't know you had a twin brother!"

I also have one photo of my granddaughter that I change out for a new one every few months. My son and DIL upload their photos of her to an iCloud album and every so often I choose a favorite and have it printed out as a 5"x7" and swap it out with the one currently in that frame.

In my computer room (which is only used by myself) on a shelf I have three old black-and-white photos: my parents' wedding picture from the 1940s; my paternal grandfather (whom I never knew but wish I had) in his WWI uniform; and my paternal great-grandfather, taken during the 1930s.

I didn't grow up in a house that had family pictures displayed. It just wasn't a thing that we did. We were a very small family and that's probably why. Also my parents had a small house and so space was at a premium, and my mother was not at all fond of what she called "dust catchers" (i.e., anything that had to be dusted, such as knicknacks and pictures in frames.)

Old 11-15-2019, 06:05 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,211 times
I don't display photos in the home. My mom & aunt both do, and my sister has pics of her daughters on a shelf.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:40 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
my mom is like yours. THere are some in the family who are hurt by it...as if she isn't proud of us. (we know she is). She herself is phobic about having her picture taken, makes a big stink so that everyone around is uncomfortable. Whatever.
Don't be too hard on your mom. My mom was the same way, and now that I'm a senior I do the exact same thing. Some people just always look bad in photos and they are VERY embarassed by that (I know I am). Apparently it depends in large part on one's facial bone structure and how the camera "sees" it. Even as a younger person it was very rare for me to look even halfway decent in photos, and now of course it's even worse. The truth is that I have a face that a camera lens hates.

Your mom is probably like me: Afraid that she will look horribly unattractive in photos that are displayed in someone's house or (worse yet) put onto someone's social media feed. We don't want to be perceived or remembered as looking like that. So she (and I) avoid cameras like the plague.

Unfortunately it's harder to do that nowadays when people can often snap pics with the phone that everyone carries everywhere, sometimes without the person being photographed even realizing it. At least when it was done mostly with actual cameras we had a chance to escape, LOL

Old 11-16-2019, 08:44 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Yes we have family photos displayed in our house.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Coupla things about family photos displayed:

1) It's your house so if they make you feel happy, definitely display them! That's the most important thing to me.

2) I have never met anyone who wasn't intrigued by family photos when they visited another person's home. They can be great for conversation.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:43 AM

2,975 posts, read 1,644,194 times
My grandmother had small framed pictures/photos of family members all over the house in the fashion of her day (b. 1896).
Her daughter's, my mother and aunt, thought the practice quaint and faintly ridiculous and maybe had one or two at the most of us kids on table tops in the living room.

Following the ancient custom of each generation rejecting the values of the immediately preceding, I had small photos of family all over the house.
I had loved seeing family photos at my grandmother's house when I was young.

Now I have a bookcase in the foyer with pictures of the grands, g-neices and nephews, etc. strung with white fairy lights for lighting. The kids love to look at them, sometimes kiss the images, and check for new additions to the gallery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting