Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 12:59 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times

Advertisements

Hello. What does your child do after they complete one of those large specialty kits/projects? Do they keep it together, or take it apart and keep the pieces separate, or take it apart and put it in the big, communal Lego brick container, or something else? I am curious.

I have one relative who keeps the huge, huge projects together and displays them. He recently finished the $400 Hogwarts castle (wowser, that took a long time). He will likely keep it together indefinitely.

I have another relative who puts the project together one time, maybe plays with it for a few days, then takes it apart and puts all the pieces into the communal Lego brick container. So he never puts any of the kits together a second time.

I have a third relative who puts the projects together, plays with them for a while (sometimes a long time) and then takes them apart and puts all the pieces, together with the instructions, in the project box. He will put the project together again a few weeks or months later. So he ends up putting the project together multiple times.

So what do your children/grandchildren do? Do you agree or disagree or don't care either way? Did it change as your child/grandchild got older? Does it depend on if they are creative and want to create their own vehicles/buildings/whatever?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 01:40 PM

407 posts, read 369,918 times
It's a mixture at our house. We have a few kits that are still complete and sitting on a shelf (Leaning Tower of Pisa, Space Needle... things like that). Then we have a bunch of kits from when our son was younger that are in various stages of completion. Most were complete at some point, but have been broken down into chunks or individual pieces and are in a big plastic bin. Those were mostly younger kid subject matter - Ninjago and others whose names I can't recall.

Ultimately, I'd like to break them ALL down, box them up and donate them somewhere. Son's school occasionally asks for Lego donations, so that's likely where they'll end up. Good winter project.

Old 11-05-2019, 02:21 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
The big ones like Hogwarts, large Star Wars ships, etc my son leaves together. He plays with them and makes different scenes. He also makes other things out of loose bricks to go with them and then takes those apart. Smaller sets he builds and takes apart and puts in the communal box. I save the instructions for them, but he's never built them again.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:15 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,354 times
We are BIG into legos at our house. Thousands and thousands of them. I have put together and displayed the large hogwarts castle, the disney castle and a few smaller sets. My husband has done the Linc Memorial, A few cars and some Star wars sets, all displayed. Our 5 year old has probably 15 sets, mostly small. He puts them together, plays with them for a few days then slowly takes them apart to go into the communal bin. We are currently finishing our basement and are building a lego building area with a large table and a lego base piece wall so my son can build and stick them to the wall, like at legoland. i find it to be a very relaxing hobby, though expensive.

Also, side note there is very large Lego resale community on ebay, you can make back some of what you spent by selling either the deconstructed sets or lots of legos.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:19 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
He puts them together, has tables/storage he keeps them on/in, and sets them up and plays with them.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:59 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
We don't do kits. We buy lego bins from the thrift store for way below market rate (I think we paid ~$1/lb) and the kids just build whatever they want from the morass of parts. We've got about 50 lbs of legos, all told. The kids come up with some pretty great/complex stuff, especially our son, who likes to build spaceships and aircraft. Eventually they all break back down into the box.

Their uncle is a literal "Master Builder". I didn't think people like that really existed outside of the Lego movies, but this guy can build incredible, realistic, vehicles from random parts. He made a 3' long blackhawk helicopter from our bin of totally random parts, no directions, not even knowing what pieces he had. He also built some sort of astroid harvester spaceship, an anti-aircraft gun platform (complete with Azimuth and Elevation control), etc. etc.

We kept and played with his creations after his visit, but eventually they too went to the Great Lego Bin in the Sky (under the bed, actually)

I am bored by puzzles and lego kits. Where's the fun and creativity in mindlessly following rote directions re-building something someone else designed?

Old 11-08-2019, 11:30 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
I will say that kits (and puzzles) can be good for young children. I would not dump a kit into the bin if they received one for Christmas or a Birthday. Following directions and assembling something from scratch via a recipe is a good skill to practice, with a nice toy as a reward at the end.

After all, that's how I fix my car or things around the house. I rarely just "wing it".

But I would not preserve a vehicle that had already been built for more than a few weeks, unless the kids wanted to. No kragles here.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:47 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,009,648 times
Did you name the pieces like this?

In German

„ein flacher zweier mit so vier runter wo man was dranbauen kann“

"A flat two with four down so where you can build something"

Old 11-09-2019, 07:29 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Hello. What does your child do after they complete one of those large specialty kits/projects? Do they keep it together, or take it apart and keep the pieces separate, or take it apart and put it in the big, communal Lego brick container, or something else? I am curious.

I have one relative who keeps the huge, huge projects together and displays them. He recently finished the $400 Hogwarts castle (wowser, that took a long time). He will likely keep it together indefinitely.

I have another relative who puts the project together one time, maybe plays with it for a few days, then takes it apart and puts all the pieces into the communal Lego brick container. So he never puts any of the kits together a second time.

I have a third relative who puts the projects together, plays with them for a while (sometimes a long time) and then takes them apart and puts all the pieces, together with the instructions, in the project box. He will put the project together again a few weeks or months later. So he ends up putting the project together multiple times.

So what do your children/grandchildren do? Do you agree or disagree or don't care either way? Did it change as your child/grandchild got older? Does it depend on if they are creative and want to create their own vehicles/buildings/whatever?

Thanks.
My son, who's now 34, was very into Lego's. He had the early kits when they 1st started doing them. He has all sorts of air crafts. Some were kept together, some ended up breaking apart. He has a few under the bed size storage bins filled with them. He does not have any kids yet. My 6 year old grandson has loved Lego's since he was 3. I eventually let him play with one of the containers of my son's Lego bricks. My son was off one day, grabbed directions to a few of his favorite air crafts; put about 6 of them together for my grandson to play with. Of course they didn't last long because he was too young lol

I'm so thankful I saved the directions. I'm also saving directions to my grandson's Lego packs. I've tried to keep the parts together in zip lock bags. He has Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle ones, but he's mixed all the pieces together. I guess one day when he's older, he'll do what my son did and look thru the bin to put them back together. It takes a lot of patience to sort thru the various pieces

Old 11-09-2019, 11:37 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,395,120 times
My husband and kids do a big kit every Christmas. They are displayed on shelves in our basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting