Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:41 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Photos are depressing to me. I hate them. I don't like to think of the past. As much as I love and miss my mom, who died last year, I don't want to look at pictures of her.
20yrsinBranson
Waow, fascinating view - and such a springboard for deep philosophical discussions!

If I didn't know any better I would ask you "what do you feel it's wrong about the past?". But we would get off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 10:51 AM

521 posts, read 859,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Photos are depressing to me. I hate them. I don't like to think of the past. As much as I love and miss my mom, who died last year, I don't want to look at pictures of her.

Sorry about your Mom. I wouldn't want to look at a loved one's picture either if they just passed. That would be very intense to have that constant reminder of them not being in your life any longer hanging on your wall.

I have the opposite opinion though. I hate remembering my passed loved ones laying in their casket lifeless with no smile. Having a few pictures around (never on a wall; those pictures are private) of them the way they lived always makes me smile and takes me back to their laugh.

I'd be more depressed if the last time I saw my best friend was in some box in a church, where we would never be able to laugh and have fun like he loved doing when with us.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:51 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
I have maybe two downstairs and one upstairs. It's not anything I was taught, I'm just not into it.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:07 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
I grew up in a family that did not display family photos, but I choose to do so. We have some great very old photos that are displayed, and I love being surrounded by pictures of my friends and family scattered all over the world, as well as those no longer with us. We also like displaying art work.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 02-23-2012 at 11:42 AM..

Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This is not a decorating question.

I have been in many homes where the walls are full of framed photos, photos all around the house etc.

We have none. Well actually I have a few baby pictures in a display cabinet in my bedroom and at Christmas time I set out a few old photos of the kids with Santa and we have a few school pictures made into ornaments for the tree. but other than that we have no fancy watercolors, huge family portraits, graduation pictures, etc.

I'm not sure why except that is just how I grew up. My mother thought it was tacky to have as bunch of photos around. When she was in her later years I arranged for all our living relatives to be at the house for a very rare family meal. When I asked her if she would like me to hire a professional photographer come to take a great photo, her response was "Why--it's just something else to put in the drawer." I did it anyway and sure enough she put it in the drawer.

So I was wondering how many photos do you display in your home? And why or why not.
YES! These are all on display for my pleasure.

They are also not hung on the walls like art work (though I did that up the wall of my staircase with all my kids baby pictures years ago )

My pictures are in groupings in every room in my house - favorite vacation pics, kids baby pics, pics of all mine and my husbands siblings, pics of our deceased family, pics of us as a couple over the years. They are on dresser tops, countertops and on the shelves of my entertainment center

I have 25 photo albums in my basement too.

My plan is to bring the albums and all the framed pics with me to the old folks home one day, lol. They will bring me joy and be good company in my old age

Old 02-23-2012, 11:12 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,382 times
I don't have any photos on the wall or on display. My son gets embarrassed by his baby pics and its just kind of weird when they live in the same house as you to have their photos around. I suppose when he gets older and moves out I might put some up but doubt it. I have tons of photos in albums that I pull out now and then to look at.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:28 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Yep, I display them. No large, formal portraits though as that isn't exactly our style. There is a very old photo of my great grandfather and his favorite horse in our living room. Vacation photos. Some of my family members have worked with some very famous people and we have a few candid/funny work-shots framed and hanging on the walls because they bring back happy memories. And because they're cool.

I'll admit to rather enjoying it when the plumber comes in, looks at a photo on his way to the sink, and I get to casually say, "Why, yes. That's my dad with Neil Armstrong."

Old 02-23-2012, 11:31 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'll admit to rather enjoying it when the plumber comes in, looks at a photo on his way to the sink, and I get to casually say, "Why, yes. That's my dad with Neil Armstrong."
That is very cool Dew! My dad attended the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in an official capacity, and we have some awesome pics of him there with various royals too.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
We have a few, but most of the pictures on our walls are paintings and drawings done by our children and my husband's aunt, who was a professional artist.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:07 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
I'm wondering if this is a regional thing. My mother was born and bred in the south and as I remember her parents didn't have photos either. Now it is not at all uncommon for a family to have a very expensive portrait of a young girl in a hand smocked dressed above the uncomfortable settee in the seldom used "formal living room".

While she did not like photos I do remember she insisted on displaying several beautiful silver services in the dining room and I was the one who had to polish the stuff. Funny where people place their priorities.

i do appreciate your responses. I find it interesting the different attitudes about public display of photos. To each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting