Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:58 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTimeToTalk View Post
And he claims that it's the "Christian way."

Here's a link to a CBS news story and video - Spare the Rod Part 1: Spanking in the Name of the Lord

Bear in mind that at the same time, a study was just released showing that spanking lowers IQ - Does spanking make your kids less intelligent? - WTKR (http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-does-spanking-making-your-kids-less-intelligent-20120221,0,1131.story - broken link)

And finally, there's this - Isn’t spanking the parental flaw of a bygone era? (http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/spanking+parental+flaw+bygone/6181197/story.html - broken link)
So this idiot endorses abusing kids in the name of discipline & parents are supposed to be impressed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
The Texan in me says, "That ain't nothin! My mom used switches on me!" (true story)

But the brain in me says yeah, that's not right.
That was my first thought as well. I had parents who used all kinds of stuff- belts, especially. And to this day I look at parents who do this as mentally unstable & abusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 01:08 PM

89 posts, read 327,585 times
Quote:
"Spare the rod, spoil the child. That was written by a man in the 1800s this is not a biblical note," Pastor Phillip Copney of the United Missionary Baptist Church explained...Pastor Beverly said it is important to note that the rod is only mentioned a handful of times in the Bible. In comparison there are thousands of other Biblical versus that discuss parenting, so for Beverly this is not the only Bible versus parents should latch onto.
Spare the Rod Part 2: Local Pastors Challenge Biblical Backing

Old 02-25-2012, 04:02 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
This may be a tad subculturally biased, with me living in a small, southern town. But to me, "Spare the rod, spoil the child" really does say it all. I think the more kids are hit, the more rowdy they get (didn't mean to make that rhyme, sorry). And a sense of entitlement you wouldn't believe, sometimes directly tied to how their parents used to 'beat tha livin tar' out of 'em. No kiddin. They grow up every bit as disrespectful. They just don't disrespect their parent and maybe other elders - until they're in their teens, of course. No, they start by taking their insecurities and rage out on their peers.

Spanking linked to increased aggression - UPI.com

Laugh, deny, whatever you want. Trust me, that thing you're hitting around when you spank your son on the rear... that's what he's going to become

Old 02-25-2012, 06:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:

We're all grown now, and I'm the only one who's never been in jail, who only has a kid with the woman he's still with (knock on holey paddles), and who's never tried drugs (not even marijuana). It doesn't mean I have an uncheckered past, but I can tell you with or without a bias that I turned out better than every single one of my cousins who were physically "disciplined" as much as or more than myself. The one who turned out better, wasn't spanked at all.
Anecdotal evidence for the non spanking side <g>

My kids are grown, never had any run ins with the law and were not spanked. Both are successful adults who went to college and got good educations and are working in jobs they like.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,921 times
It's Michael Pearl, what do you guys expect? He's a fundamentalist preacher from Tennessee.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:47 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,292 times
Read this and see what you think.
Gentle Christian Mothers - Christian Attachment Parenting

Much more Christian in my opinion than hitting.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:11 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
I am going to write a book on how all grown children of elderly parents who spanked them should beat their parents with wooden spoons.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:01 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,398,602 times
Quote:
Same here. Did anyone else's mom or dad drill holes in the paddle specifically because they thought the spanking would hurt more?

Still, I can acknowledge the way my mom chose to discipline me wasn't the best. All my cousins were physically disciplined much more than I was. With my mom, it was rare. The only other difference between my mom and theirs was that mine would make us suffer through some loooong lectures both before and after the spanking.

We're all grown now, and I'm the only one who's never been in jail, who only has a kid with the woman he's still with (knock on holey paddles), and who's never tried drugs (not even marijuana). It doesn't mean I have an uncheckered past, but I can tell you with or without a bias that I turned out better than every single one of my cousins who were physically "disciplined" as much as or more than myself. The one who turned out better, wasn't spanked at all.
My mom was never the spanker but my dad was. Did I liked it? No. I got spank with hands, chop stick, and hangers. Did I turn out fine? Yes. No drugs. Got 2 pt jobs. Never been to jail. No kids out of wedlock. Good relationships with family and friends. Got my B.S degree. More responsible than my siblings. I turned out a lot better than my sisters who never got spanked.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:47 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am going to write a book on how all grown children of elderly parents who spanked them should beat their parents with wooden spoons.
ROFL...MOM you spilled your tapioca pudding on the floor, AGAIN. I TOLD YOU not to touch it until I could help you...where's my spoon, it's time for your whoopin'.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
ROFL...MOM you spilled your tapioca pudding on the floor, AGAIN. I TOLD YOU not to touch it until I could help you...where's my spoon, it's time for your whoopin'.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting