Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:34 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Ya, that first post was WAY out of line.

I would continue to say, "No!" forcefully every single time. If she cries, too bad. She got in trouble! There is NO way you should tolerate physical acts like that from a child. Pushing your chin now is a minor thing, but you don't want her to be slapping you or a teacher or another child when she's older. And of course you don't want to hit her back.

You also can remove yourself form the situation if she does not seem to respond to your verbal correction.

For example, if I were holding her and she pushed my chin, I first would say, "No, no! We don't hit." Not in a mean voice, but in a kind of OMG way, if that makes any sense. Try to focus her attention on something like a book or toy. If she continues to hit your chin, say, "No! No hitting. Now Mommy doesn't want to play if you hit." Then set her down and walk to the other side of the (child-safe) room or the next room where you still can see her. She needs to know she can't just continue that stuff, and that people don't like that. I would do the same thing with the pinching. Show her that people don't like to be hurt, and that her behavior has consequences.

But always try to redirect with a toy or some new activity she really likes.

The bib thing ... you'll just have to get one with a strong snap or else see if you can tolerate no bib at all.
Thank you. Gee whiz, this is the post that I was looking for. I guess on an online message board, you have to dig through dregs to get gems. That's the tone I use -- never mean -- to get her attention that the behaviour she is doing (i.e. pulling on wires, plants, pinching) isn't the preferable behaviour. I view what she is doing as merely testing out her world, and I just wanted tips on the right road to take. I wasn't advocating, or looking for, harsh methods. Frankly, it's been quite a gap between children, not to mention both have completely different personalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 10:37 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Wow, what a bunch of mean-spirited responses.

OP, I had the most success with distractions. I'd put a toy or something on the tray for the baby to play with while he was fed. You could always use an old shirt buttoned up the back if the bib won't stay on.

As for the pinching and nudging? A firm no, and if necessary put the baby down. You've probably tried that, but I can't think of any other way to get the message across to a baby except for repetition.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:39 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Exactly what do you mean by "discipline?" Please define your term.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:40 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

OP, I had the most success with distractions. I'd put a toy or something on the tray for the baby to play with while he was fed. You could always use an old shirt buttoned up the back if the bib won't stay on.

As for the pinching and nudging? A firm no, and if necessary put the baby down. You've probably tried that, but I can't think of any other way to get the message across to a baby except for repetition.
^^^^This

Old 02-25-2012, 10:41 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I have a 7-year gap between kids. I know what you mean.

When they start walking, you really have to strip down the house. Childproof locks on drawers and cabinets, electronics hidden away or blocked off. When my twins were that age, we had one of those old projection big screen TVs that sat on the floor, and i literally fenced it off with this plastic Little Tikes thing I can't even describe here. But it worked.

There should not be any wires or plants she can reach. Block off any place you don't want her crawling in, like the fireplace. Child-proofing is no fun, and your decor will suffer temporarily, but it's worth it to have a space they can explore safely. Then every moment doesn't have to be a battle of "No! no! Don't touch."

Old 02-25-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
I didn't have as strong a reaction to this question as imcurious, however, he/she is right. You don't "dicipline" a 10-month old baby. You remove any hazards that may harm and you replace negatives with positives. Play with that baby and have a ball, so what if she doesn't want the bib on, make a game, giggle and put it on yourself.
What I mean is don't worry so much, give her room and permission to be a baby, if you don't like the behaviour, i.e. pushing your chin, remove the chin.
'Discipline" it an of itself is not a bad word. The literal definition of the word (among other things) means correction, guidance or training, and that's how I view it.

I do not take particular umbrage with your post vs. that other person's is because in no way does it sound judgmental, neither does it reek of condascension and faux "concern". And I think ANY mother -- on or offline -- would get their hair up if someone even intimates that they are "possibly" abusive, especially in response to a rather benign question.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You could always put her in a time out, but not before you gave her a self-esteem boost so that she knows she is special and unique and talented and always a winner.

Whatever you do, make sure not to crush her 'free spirit.' Always remember that she is to be treated like a jewel, no matter how badly she treats other people or just screws up in general.

This will set her up for success in life.
Thank you. I especially agree re: not crushing her spirit. I definitely keep that in mind with whatever action that I take. The same with her sister. I try to balance every negative action that as a parent I have to take (i.e. giving my oldest daughter a talking to because she wasn't listening) with a positive (rewarding her for all "Es" on her report card). I got on my mother for intimating that just because my oldest is strong willed doesn't mean that she's "bad". I walk this line, you know

Old 02-25-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

Distraction is the first line for me. And you're right, maybe I'll even pin the bib the next time or put on an old shirt. I think tonight we were both just feeling 'meh'....I'm suffering with allergies so my patience was worn and she was having a cranky evening.

I'll try what you've said..putting her down. The message I'm trying to convey to her is that when she does something like pinching and the like, it hurts the recipient and isn't nice. However, I do show her lots of love with other behaviours. I clearly show the difference. Thank you.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I have a 7-year gap between kids. I know what you mean.

When they start walking, you really have to strip down the house. Childproof locks on drawers and cabinets, electronics hidden away or blocked off. When my twins were that age, we had one of those old projection big screen TVs that sat on the floor, and i literally fenced it off with this plastic Little Tikes thing I can't even describe here. But it worked.

There should not be any wires or plants she can reach. Block off any place you don't want her crawling in, like the fireplace. Child-proofing is no fun, and your decor will suffer temporarily, but it's worth it to have a space they can explore safely. Then every moment doesn't have to be a battle of "No! no! Don't touch."
Crazy, isn't it? My first daughter was a late walker. Also, she never had any desire to get into any mischief, so we never had to child proof. This one? She makes a bee-line for her sister's sippy cup, manages to find every speck that's on a carpet, probes everything. The two girls are almost polar opposites, which makes for lots of humor, really.

To her credit, my second child eats just about everything we offer her, whereas her sister is very picky.

Since the two girls are different, I sometimes need some tips since each situation is different. Thanks again,

Old 02-25-2012, 11:09 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
I'm pretty sure the post about "time out" and not "damaging the spirit" was tongue-in-cheek, but you took it literally, so allow me to point out that putting a ten month old on a time out would be inappropriate and psychologically abusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting