Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:47 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
Toddlers have fits from many things that are not related to being told "no".
Oh, I totally agree.

I didn't mean to imply there was only one reason for the TT's. Or only one way to solve them or deal with them. (I knew I should have stayed away from this thread. That will teach me.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 06:16 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
I take issue with your statement that the "terrible two's are are nothing more than the result of telling a child who could originally do anything they wanted that all of a sudden, they can't".
Maybe because you took it as a statement. I started it off with "At times, I think..." for the reason that I knew it wasn't necessarily true. Kinda like, "At times I think my wife and I would be better off if we just didn't talk"

Quote:
Wait until you experience these difficult phases before judging. You say your child has a difficult temperament. You'll see what I mean. Some parents who have more mellow children don't experience difficult phases in the same way as a parent of a child with a more intense personality so the parent of the mellow child may judge and think these phases either don't exist or are easier for them because they are a better parent. It happens.
Of course it does. But quite frankly, I think my son is "old enough" to be putting us through the difficult phase already. The "terrible twos" do not necessarily begin at age 2. Just because we disagree on this issue doesn't mean I haven't experienced much of what you have. We may go through the same EXACT experiences in life, and still end up interpreting it all very differently; people do it all the time.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:29 AM

484 posts, read 1,584,510 times
I'm struggling to find any type of discipline that I honestly believe would be effective and/or appropriate for a 10 month old baby, and aside from using the word "no", I can't think of anything whatsoever.

I'm not trying to be mean, because I know parenting can be difficult sometimes, but if you are struggling so much with a baby that you're contemplating punishment, have you tried parenting courses that teach effective ways to handle situations? There are also some books out there towards parenting challenges (123 Magic is a great one for kids that are a little older) that you could try.

Good luck.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:58 AM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
For the love of God... Discipline IS NOT punishment.

I'm struggling with understanding how ADULTS don't understand the meaning of A WORD.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:38 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlonde View Post
I'm struggling to find any type of discipline that I honestly believe would be effective and/or appropriate for a 10 month old baby, and aside from using the word "no", I can't think of anything whatsoever.

I'm not trying to be mean, because I know parenting can be difficult sometimes, but if you are struggling so much with a baby that you're contemplating punishment, have you tried parenting courses that teach effective ways to handle situations? There are also some books out there towards parenting challenges (123 Magic is a great one for kids that are a little older) that you could try.

Good luck.
There have been all kinds of helpful suggestions on here. The best ones relate to removing the stimulus--if baby plays too rough, you tell her no and if she doesn't stop, you put her down. That's all, they learn quick enough. And again, the OP did not say punishment, she said discipline--I'm with threerun--folks need to pick up a dictionary.

Fact is, you let them walk all over you from the beginning and it will never stop--you set limits early, and teach them how things are done in this family. Spankings and timeout are not appropriate at this age level as several have discussed here.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:42 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
When you discipline a child, it involves some sort of punishment, whether it be correcting the behavior, a lecture, a spanking, time out or grounding.

It's just the way the word is used today.

When you "discipline" a child, it's usually with some form of punishment.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:10 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Maybe in your world, but not mine. Discipline is adherence to or principled with regards to a set of rules and conduct.

If you use punishment to obtain discipline- that's your choice, but don't assume everyone thinks that way- and that is the entire point of this giant cluster of a misunderstanding.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:13 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Maybe in your world, but not mine. Discipline is adherence to or principled with regards to a set of rules and conduct.

If you use punishment to obtain discipline- that's your choice, but don't assume everyone thinks that way- and that is the entire point of this giant cluster of a misunderstanding.
Look here captain oxford dictionary...
I wasn't saying that WAS my definition. I was explaining how people here were using it and how most people in general are using the word.

Hell, discipline...punishment don't exist in my dictionary....
Maybe punishment but in a whole different context.
I could care less.

You're welcome for my clarification.

HIGH FASHION
(if you get this you get a cookie)

Old 03-03-2012, 05:34 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
I'm with txtqueen on not caring WHAT it's called when you discipline/punish/correct/teach a 10 month old. All I consider is if it works without adverse consequences. So far, we've been skilled/thoughtful/lucky/blessed enough for that to be the case

Last edited by Vic 2.0; 03-03-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 03-04-2012, 02:34 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
When you discipline a child, it involves some sort of punishment, whether it be correcting the behavior, a lecture, a spanking, time out or grounding.
No. Just no. That those two words have become synonymous in some minds I will forever fight against. It obfuscates the bigger picture of what good, investment, positive discipline can be that teaches so much more than Don't Do That.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting