Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post

I do not understand how you get to "you can't handle it," let alone a prison sentence, based on a post that was made from levels of exhaustion and frustration that almost anyone with small children and multiple demands has experienced at one time or another. The OP was asking for teaching-discipline not physical-discipline strategies as well as reminders of what is developmentally appropriate. You seem to have missed that she has already parented an older child successfully (for lack of a better word). IMO, there was nothing in the OP that warranted such an extreme response.
Anything but a barely felt hug is abuse, eastwest, you oughta know that by now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 10:06 AM

566 posts, read 958,262 times
A 10 month old?? Are you kidding me? There shouldn't be any disciplining at that point. The kid can't even talk or walk.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:24 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Anything but a barely felt hug is abuse, eastwest, you oughta know that by now!
Ah, yes, silly me! And here I was thinking this board was a place for parents who need help problem solving in stressful parenting situations to get some useful feedback.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
A 10 month old?? Are you kidding me? There shouldn't be any disciplining at that point. The kid can't even talk or walk.
Why didn't you read the OP? It's just a few paragraphs, in which you can find out this particular 10 month old has learned to walk. And not being able to talk doesn't mean you can't form associations with the words you hear.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:50 PM

500 posts, read 748,303 times
Quote:
Idk about that. It never frustrated me any.
Yes, but it does lead to unrealistic expectations about children and compliance, which was the OP's question to begin with.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Just kill the damn thing.

This thread, not the child.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
Yes, but it does lead to unrealistic expectations about children and compliance, which was the OP's question to begin with.
Hells bells, you can't count on any form of discipline/behavior modification with children at ANY age. Any suggestions made for raising anyone under 18 can lead to unrealistic expectations. I suppose you can give a disclaimer if you wish, but people already have a general idea what sort of transformation to expect from their child.

Toddlers can learn to comply that young, depending on various other factors. By the time my son was about 14 months of age (he's 19 months now), I could utter the word "Timeout?" (if the word "No" didn't do the trick) and he would promptly stop whatever it was he was doing. From trying to get something we didn't want him to, to throwing a fit. He'd also move onto something else. Doesn't mean he stopped and weighed the pros and cons of obeying/disobeying. He had become conditioned to giving a certain response to a certain sound. You're right, the question was essentially "How can I get her to stop?" There are certainly no guarantees, but a few forms of discipline are worth a shot.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:01 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Toddlers can learn to comply that young, depending on various other factors. By the time my son was about 14 months of age (he's 19 months now), I could utter the word "Timeout?" (if the word "No" didn't do the trick) and he would promptly stop whatever it was he was doing.
Vic, you've been pretty adamant that your way works, but as you said in another thread:

Quote:
The problem is always the same, when using anecdotal evidence to explain what happened and why: You've no way of testing your theories.
I understand that your toddler was compliant from the get-go, but not all young children are. Not all of them will respond at 10 months the way you believe yours did.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:35 AM

I'm not insisting that every child will, just that it's possible for a child that age. Also suggesting that parents may just have a better idea of what's possible and impossible for their child. People have been criticizing the general idea of discliplining a 10 month old, so I offer my story as reason why I believe we can't assume that no 10 month old is ready

Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 AM

9 posts, read 9,208 times
punishing a baby with more than a stern NO is pointless. They don't understand and won't remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting