Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:23 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times

Advertisements

no kudzo...you absolutely have not created a "monster"..but a darling little girl with a compassionate heart, and a generosity to match....In our household the children got an allowance, but it was always for them to get the certain little somethings that we would not provide....junkfood...drawing paper, crayons etc....On one hand I can understand a little the way your husband is thinking...he wants his little girl to get herself something nice with that money....but it's also pretty obvious that you pretty well supply your daughter with everything she needs...so if you really can't stand the thought of her spending her allowance on others....some possible sollutions would be to stop giving her so much allowance, or stop buying her everything she needs.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 02:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Good ideas everybody. Funny thing is I have MBA with major in finance. I thought she is a bit too young to start teaching her the principle of compound interest. I think I started doing that with my other kids at about 12 or 13.

yes we are having as few hormonal issues already. Seems way too young to me.

I've explained to her she cannot give presents of unequal value to her friends as it may hurt somebody's feelings.

I know she likes to make cards for all her friends at Christmas and we have always made our own BD cards as well but she wasn't too keen on cards since "they just throw them away." So I came up with the dream catchers. I googled them and some are really fancy with leather and sinew and such . I will continue to find something we can do with knitting yarn as I have alot of that.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Monday I will take her to the credit union to open a savings account with her accumulated allowance money and maybe she can watch it grow a teeny bit. Can't believe the gawdawful rates these days..but that is another forum.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:38 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
How about bookmarks.

These bookworms are easy to make if you crochet.

Crochet Bookworm Bookmark | Free Craft Project

Here's a bunch of ideas and each one could be different for different friends

Crochet Pattern Central - Free Bookmark Crochet Pattern Link Directory

I like the butterfly bookmarks too.
http://www.crochetnbeads.com/files/B...ookmarkers.pdf

Or if you don't crochet, you can press flowers and then cut paper strips, hot glue the flowers and laminate the bookmarks. Each bookmark would be unique because the flowers would be different and she could personalize with markers, etc.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Monday I will take her to the credit union to open a savings account with her accumulated allowance money and maybe she can watch it grow a teeny bit.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:53 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
How about going retro?
1980s Friendship Pins on Like Totally 80s
No need to worry about being perfect either.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:03 PM

17,378 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Speaking of retro...

She could make them all pet rocks. She could use a little of her money to buy eyes, yarn to use as fur and tails, paint, etc.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:21 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Speaking of retro...

She could make them all pet rocks. She could use a little of her money to buy eyes, yarn to use as fur and tails, paint, etc.
Cute!

Old 02-26-2012, 03:38 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Perhaps since she has a heart of gold and wants to help everyone, be good to everyone - perhaps she'd like to donate money to a good cause for children in her whole classes' name - or help them make a very simple quilt of squares tied with yarn and each child's name written in indelible ink on a square and decorated a little bit for a children's cancer ward, or something along the same lines? Your daughter donates/pays for the basic supplies, but the whole class participates and they all learn the joy of giving together?

Another thought would be those string bracelets that all the kids wear - my niece braided some of those for her all friends - they slip on and you can tie them off to the right size (eventually they rot off, thankfully! ) - made with pretty and bright string for girls braided together, more neutral for the boys. My sons are 35 and 31 and have been wearing string and leather braided ankle bracelets in honor of a classmate who died for YEARS.

As for the hormones...ugh...my niece is 12, has been fully in either puberty or menopause since age 10. I feel your pain!

Old 02-26-2012, 03:44 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
There were many great ideas listed. I especially liked the one where you take her to stores and add up how much money buying hats, shoes, Lego sets, etc for her whole class would cost.

Making bookmarks would be great idea. She could personalize each one with drawings, stickers, stamps, etc. They are also cute with a ribbon or yarn tie on one edge.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:47 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Perhaps since she has a heart of gold and wants to help everyone, be good to everyone - perhaps she'd like to donate money to a good cause for children in her whole classes' name - or help them make a very simple quilt of squares tied with yarn and each child's name written in indelible ink on a square and decorated a little bit for a children's cancer ward, or something along the same lines? Your daughter donates/pays for the basic supplies, but the whole class participates and they all learn the joy of giving together?
I love these ideas!!

NoKudzu, DD sounds like a sweet kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting