Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you have your daughter vaccinated for HPV?
Yes 18 66.67%
No 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:23 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,369,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
It's a matter of informed consent. Yes, I realize that my kids might catch measles or mumps. I also realize that if I take the risk of vaccinating them, they might STILL catch measles or mumps, because vaccines are nowhere near 100% effective! I'd prefer them to catch them, if they are going to, as a child and not as an adult, when it would be more serious.
Question. What if your child never catches these diseases. Then they're away at a college where one of the diseases makes a big comeback. Most of the kids are mildly ill because they have some immunity from their childhood vaccines. Your child is now 20 years old, with no immunities to the illness. They are seriously ill on top of being run down from stressed-out college life.

THIS is why I vaccinate. When I went to work at a hospital (as an adult) I was had blood tests and was still covered, thanks to my childhood immunizations.

I gave my daughter the HPV vaccine. That does not mean that I wont teach her right from wrong. That I won't teach her to protect herself. I still expect her to be responsible and to make wise choices. I'm just not joking myself that she and/or her future partner will be eachothers first and 100% clean! They have had all their immunizations. They are still taught to wash their hands and cover their mouths, etc.

I also have seen kids with Autism. It is very sad. Many of them never recieved any immunizations, though. So you won't convince me that Autism is caused by childhood immunizations alone.

I agree that immunizations are a medical miracle. I think it is a shame that so many choose to ignore the huge impact they have done for humankind! So many people have been spared needless suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
Quote:
Question. What if your child never catches these diseases. Then they're away at a college where one of the diseases makes a big comeback. Most of the kids are mildly ill because they have some immunity from their childhood vaccines. Your child is now 20 years old, with no immunities to the illness. They are seriously ill on top of being run down from stressed-out college life.
Excellent question: I discussed this with my pediatrician, and when they go through puberty, we will most likely have them titered to see if they have been exposed and if they have adequate levels of immunity. If not, we will make the decision whether to vaccinate at that point. You are right, I do not want my kids catching the illnesses that are rather harmless during childhood, as adults!

I'm glad that you were still covered... many people are not (hence the large population of the elderly contracting things like pertussis).

Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autimom4ever View Post
You would think twice if you had a child with autism...but you don't

She may not, but I do, and not one of my daughter's vaccines caused her autism.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
and not one of my daughter's vaccines caused her autism.
I'm sorry, maybe it's me. But what do you mean? You think the vaccines caused the autism or you don't?

Old 02-11-2008, 06:44 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I don't--at least not on their own!

We noticed issues with her at 6 months. She didn't start dropping language until 21 months, and we had NO reaction whatsoever to the MMR.

My next daughter is due March 17, and she'll get every vaccination with the exception of the early infant Hepatitis and the infant Chicken Pox, only because hubby & I feel both are totally unnecessary, not because of any link to autism.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:59 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
I have a question regarding prescribed age for administration of this vaccine. I was reading a magazine (Cancer and Women) at the doctor's office yesterday and saw an article on HPV. The article mentioned that the recommended age is 11-12, as early as 9, and if administered at 13 should be followed up by a booster at age 26. Does this mean that if your daughter is past 13 it would no longer work?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I have a question regarding prescribed age for administration of this vaccine. I was reading a magazine (Cancer and Women) at the doctor's office yesterday and saw an article on HPV. The article mentioned that the recommended age is 11-12, as early as 9, and if administered at 13 should be followed up by a booster at age 26. Does this mean that if your daughter is past 13 it would no longer work?
It is a series of 3 shots. They recommend starting at age 11-12 years old. But it can be done up to age 26. The idea is to have all 3 shots before you engage in ANY sexual activity, if possible. But women up to 26 can get it. If they have future exposure to HPV they would be protected. So many kids are experimenting so much earlier, and you do not need to have intercourse to get HPV. That is why I am getting my daughters started at age 10 or 11

I hope that my kids listen to me and don't engage in any sexual activity until they are older. We talk about sex and pregnancy a lot. My friends daughter is 15 and has a baby. We use that as an example a lot. We thought she was a pretty good kid. Even "good" kids can get pregnant. I will continue to talk to my kids of the risks. The Herpes commercials on TV are a good opportunity to talk to your kids about sexually transmitted diseases. It's a little awkward, but it has to be done!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:43 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Thank you treeg! We brought it up to DD last night at the dinner table. Other than whining that it hurt she did not have any qualms about it. Apparently one of her friends at school got one and was sore at the site for 2 weeks. Did not fazze DH though so I guess she will start her little "survey" in school today as to how many got the shot and where they got it (arm, thigh, butt, etc.) Will keep y'all posted on her survey results.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Thank you treeg! We brought it up to DD last night at the dinner table. Other than whining that it hurt she did not have any qualms about it. Apparently one of her friends at school got one and was sore at the site for 2 weeks. Did not fazze DH though so I guess she will start her little "survey" in school today as to how many got the shot and where they got it (arm, thigh, butt, etc.) Will keep y'all posted on her survey results.
Good for you!! My daughter is very tiny (64lbs) even thought she is turning 11 this month. She's had 2 of the 3 shots now. She got it in the arm both times. She said it did hurt when she got it, but no crying or anything. Her arm was only sore for about 24 hours max. both times.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:11 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times
Woo hoo! Glad you are taking care of your young little ladies! I am glad that I teach middle school Health and get to talk about the vaccine and all of the STDs.

I go for my 2nd biopsy of my cervix in two weeks....so wish me luck! And keep me in your thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting