Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 08:12 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times

Advertisements

Just a question of timing. How long after getting involved in a relationship, on average, do you decide to introduce your kids to your new partner? Also, as the one to be introduced, how long do you feel is a comfortable amount of time before that subject comes up?
Is there an amount of time you feel is too long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 01:52 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I think the answer to that would depend a lot on how the partner(with the kids) would feel.....I imagine that once he/she is comfortable with you, and feels that this is something that could last, then they will probably decide to introduce you.I don't think there can be any "set" amount of time...just whenever the time feels right.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
I think that when you can see it's more then just casual dating, and there is real long term potential, then it is the right time.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:18 PM

169 posts, read 574,778 times
I think it depends on the age of the kids. If they are young, they may get very attached to the new partner so waiting longer may be a good thing. Older kids may also have unrealistic hopes for the new relationship, but should have a better understanding of dating and the potential for break-ups.

As already mentioned, it also depends on potential of the relationship lasting a while. I don't think there is any point in introducing kids to new partners if it looks like the relationship will be short-term.

So there is no set length of time - no simple answer. Something to talk about between the partners and see what the factors are - how the parent thinks the kids would feel, how each of the partners feel, how the other biological parent would feel (if they are still in the picture), etc.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:16 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,620 times
I for one, never introduced partners to children. If the relationship made it close to the one-year mark, maybe. If the relationship is not heading towards marriage, what is the point of introducing? I believe that two people need to be discussing marriage and maybe be engaged. I find too many people are quick to introduce their children to their newbies. As a woman, I found that men were quick to introduced their children to me, because they were trying to get double dates out of it. Time with the child and time with the new lady. No matter how many times, I told men that I didn't want to meet their child, they still brought them. I feel sorry for the children. In my 11 years of being a divorcee, my daughter has only met one man in my life, because we were headed towards marriage and were together for several years. Although, she met him, I tried not to involve him in her life too much. My ex and me were on the same page when it came to introducing our daughter to people. He only introduced our daughter to his fiance, when he put a ring on her finger, but we did it as a family over dinner. This allows the child to see both parents standing strong in wanting the best interest of the child.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:46 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Just a question of timing. How long after getting involved in a relationship, on average, do you decide to introduce your kids to your new partner? Also, as the one to be introduced, how long do you feel is a comfortable amount of time before that subject comes up?
Is there an amount of time you feel is too long?
When I was dating they met my kids right away. I never saw any reason to hide my dating or my kids. I always figured that kids learn from example and what better way to teach my kids about dating then by setting a good example.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:48 AM

525 posts, read 1,555,432 times
Default Dating when you have kids. How soon in relationship to let them meet your new bf or gf?

when is it okay for kids to meet someone you're dating? Does it mean a guy is serious about you when he brings you around his kids from a previous relationship and family?

some people seem to have a casual approach while others wait for awhile before bringing the person they're in the relationship with around their kids

Old 03-05-2012, 07:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Moderator cut: Merging concurrent threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting