Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Oh oh. Open the birth control is not 500,000% effective bag.
That's true, it's not. But let's at least give it a try right?

And I am one of those people that birth control did not work for. But you can be darn sure I would rather use it again than nothing at all. Darn depo shot!
Especially since I can't elect to have my uterus removed. I don't know why they don't listen when I say I have no use for it!

Last edited by 1phwalls; 02-27-2012 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Here's an article I ran across. Paperless Child Support Payments May Cost Poor Fathers Only Source Of Income

Basically it's saying the GOV. is going paperless and if men are behind in support payments they can go after it by attaching the bank account or debit card. From what I gather it can happen years after the kid is grown.

I understand the logic but something I didn't know ( I don't have any kids) is if the mother of a child goes on welfare the father of the child has to pay it back to the state. In a situation like this I would think each parent should be responsible for half of the running tab.
No kidding! Yikes!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:56 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I was really surprised to read that some people were actually shocked at the thought of paying back the welfare. Certainly says a lot about the irresponsibility of people.
The shocking part for me is the state charges the father of the child. Why not split it down the middle? For the mother it should be something like a rolling tab.

Also looking at it from another perspective, now I could be wrong so anyone feel free to correct but child support and welfare seems like two different animals. If the guy is paying the required child support why should he be responsible for the other social services?

If the father has to go on welfare would the mother of the child be required to pay it back?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
The shocking part for me is the state charges the father of the child. Why not split it down the middle? For the mother it should be something like a rolling tab.

Also looking at it from another perspective, now I could be wrong so anyone feel free to correct but child support and welfare seems like two different animals. If the guy is paying the required child support why should he be responsible for the other social services?

If the father has to go on welfare would the mother of the child be required to pay it back?
The mother is already paying her share. Child support is the other parent's share (in this case, the dad's). It's not the entire cost of raising a child.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Honestly, this is not new. Most Mothers don't want the Father's pay garnished, if they are on welfare, they have to swear who the Father is, and 90% of the women I worked with swore that they got drunk, and don't know who the Daddy is...even though they live with a guy named "Jesus", who is their "landlord" that they pay rent to, and "coincidentially" the baby's name is Jesus. Welfare Mom's work all the angles, and know the system better than anyone.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
The mother is already paying her share. Child support is the other parent's share (in this case, the dad's). It's not the entire cost of raising a child.
What Julia said.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:

Yes, if the father is the one with sole custody and the mom isn't paying child support.

this happens when the guy doesn't pay, not when he does.

plus, what Julia said.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:46 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:

Let's not forget that the mother usually has the burden of caring for the child.....which does make it harder to find a job as the hours she has available for work can be severely compromised.

The man can take a job that consists of any hours, he can accept overtime at a moments notice, he can take a job that requires regular or unscheduled travel.....all without having to worry about providing for child care and pulling a kid in and out of schools at a moment's notice.

The fact is, there are just more varied job opportunities available to the non-custodial parent....whether it is the man or the woman.

When I worked, there were many times when unexpected overtime was offered and the single parents had to pass it up because they couldn't find a babysitter at a moment's notice at 10pm or midnight, their regular sitter just couldn't stay an extra two or three hours.

A friend of mine is an engineer, once in awhile, he is required to travel out of state at a moment's notice to handle problems that pop up......I don't think he would keep his job too long if he had to tell his boss....."Sorry, just can't do it, can't find a babysitter in time."

Old 02-27-2012, 10:57 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I agree that it's important to warn young men about the possibility of paying child support. That will be one of the conversations we have when he gets older.
I warn mine all the time. Again and again.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:21 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
That's true, it's not. But let's at least give it a try right?
Sorry I was being cynical in anticipation of a response that one sees on here.

Quote:
And I am one of those people that birth control did not work for. But you can be darn sure I would rather use it again than nothing at all. Darn depo shot!
Especially since I can't elect to have my uterus removed. I don't know why they don't listen when I say I have no use for it!
That angers me. As if you can't make decisions for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting