Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:19 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,455,950 times

Advertisements

I have a 6-yr old who is an extremely well-behaved kid out side the house. At home, he is very well-behaved for the most part until he has to do something he doesn't want. For example, if he hears a NO to "can I watch TV" or if he's asked to clean-up. This started a few months ago.

His way of revolting is to cry and whine, and throw himself on the ground. This really frustrates me and my wife since he will never do such a thing outside the house. We have explained to him patiently and calmly to "talk it out" whatever it is that he does not agree with, and he will apologize for his behavior, but will forget it the next minute. We have tried time outs (2 to 15 mins) and even grounded him (1 to 2 hts), but it still hasn't worked.

In fact, we will remind him about "talking it out" and "time outs and grounding" the very minute we feel he is going to throw a tantrum, but that still doesn't stop him. It's like he's protesting against the thing that will get him into trouble by doing those exact same things because either (1) his brain cannot comprehend it or (2) his brain is just used to throwing a tantrum.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle his behavior? It's not that big a problem as such since he's a very well-behaved and cheerful kid for the most part. But it does affect my and my wife's moods when we have to go through this at home after a long day at work.

Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,131,722 times
A 6 year old that acted like that at our house would have been picked up and deposited in their bedroom until they could behave. There would have been no 'talking it out" or reasoning with them. They should know better at that age.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,763,888 times
My six year old does that sometimes, but only in front of me, never in front of her dad. I send her right to her room and tell her she can't come out for half an hour. She almost always falls asleep during that half hour. I think she only acts like that when she's really tired.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:41 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,483,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
A 6 year old that acted like that at our house would have been picked up and deposited in their bedroom until they could behave. There would have been no 'talking it out" or reasoning with them. They should know better at that age.
Agreed. Stop talking to him and start punishing him. He's controlling you with his tantrums, especially if he manages to keep his temper under control outside the home.

15min timeouts are not a punishment...I gave my 2yr old 15min timeouts. Your son needs an afternoon in his room or better yet on a chair without access to toys. Speaking of toys, I would start taking them away every time he tantrums. He would have to earn back the TV, toys, playing with friends. At 6 that kind of behavior is unacceptable.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,228,525 times
Ignore it basically....once he realizes you will not give into his little tantrums he will stop.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,037,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
I have a 6-yr old who is an extremely well-behaved kid out side the house. At home, he is very well-behaved for the most part until he has to do something he doesn't want. For example, if he hears a NO to "can I watch TV" or if he's asked to clean-up. This started a few months ago.

His way of revolting is to cry and whine, and throw himself on the ground. This really frustrates me and my wife since he will never do such a thing outside the house. We have explained to him patiently and calmly to "talk it out" whatever it is that he does not agree with, and he will apologize for his behavior, but will forget it the next minute. We have tried time outs (2 to 15 mins) and even grounded him (1 to 2 hts), but it still hasn't worked.

In fact, we will remind him about "talking it out" and "time outs and grounding" the very minute we feel he is going to throw a tantrum, but that still doesn't stop him. It's like he's protesting against the thing that will get him into trouble by doing those exact same things because either (1) his brain cannot comprehend it or (2) his brain is just used to throwing a tantrum.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle his behavior? It's not that big a problem as such since he's a very well-behaved and cheerful kid for the most part. But it does affect my and my wife's moods when we have to go through this at home after a long day at work.

Please advise.
Send him to his room until he chooses to calm down and behave as he is expected to and do what he is told to do without the tantrum. Be firm and do not give in but do tell him why he is going to his room and that he will be in his room until he chooses to change his behavior. The problem here is if his room has tons of things to do like video, television, toys etc, you may have to set up a corner with a chair in the kitchen. Then if he gets up his time is extended by say 1 minute because he got up. See where I'm going with this?

Old 02-28-2012, 09:48 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,763,888 times
I forgot to mention, I think they learn this behavior at school. My youngest never used to be a whiny kid until she was in school. Then she saw how it worked for other kids and decided to try it at home.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:51 PM

85 posts, read 110,436 times
My six year old does this too. I send him to his room until he feels he can interact nicely. Normally, he ends up falling asleep.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,044,940 times
Look him right in the face and say, "I know and you know that you are throwing this tantrum to get your own way. That is not going to work so don't go into your act."

Once they realize you are smarter than they are and you know exactly what they are doing, which is trying to manipulate you into giving them what they want, they stop.

They're frustrated as all get out because they know it works for their friends, but they stop because it doesn't do them any good.

BTW: They always try and pull this when you come home and are tired. They can smell weakness.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:55 PM

18,372 posts, read 31,484,458 times
if the child is on the floor a good hard pinch on the arm to get up and behave, will do the trick.

time out, my ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting