Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 02:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,825,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I saw something on the news tonight that I found disturbing.

The story featured a company that brings out a German Shepard that will go through your home and your cars if you suspect your child is using drugs and has drugs in the house.

It didn't say what happens if drugs our found. Are the police called?

Or if no drugs are found I would think you have really damaged your relationship with your child.

Seemed very extreme to me.
Why is it extreme for parents to want to know if their child is doing drugs and bringing them home? Afterall, it is the parents home and they are both legally and morally liable for what goes on in their home.

I think it is an excellent idea. Maybe I should train my dog and start such a business!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 02:39 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,231,004 times
Sounds a bit over the wall to me. Kids are not to bright usually and it's not to hard to suspect.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:18 PM

13,976 posts, read 25,864,248 times
I think a parent who feels the need to take that step has an inkling that it is necessary. Children on drugs don't deserve parental trust. Support, if warranted, but not trust.

I only recently have had experience in this matter, as two of my friends are dealing with kids in rehab. My views on the privacy issue have changed completely. These parents are trying to save their children, and that goal takes precedence over the privacy of the kids.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:24 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,895,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think a parent who feels the need to take that step has an inkling that it is necessary. Children on drugs don't deserve parental trust. Support, if warranted, but not trust.

I only recently have had experience in this matter, as two of my friends are dealing with kids in rehab. My views on the privacy issue have changed completely. These parents are trying to save their children, and that goal takes precedence over the privacy of the kids.
I can understand where you are coming from. I think I would go with random drug testing before a drug sniffing dog, though, purely from an escalation point of view.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:38 PM

869 posts, read 1,489,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

I think having a suspicion and actually having reason are two different things. Kids are stupid and sometimes we as parents are too. Those little "are your kids on drugs" websites say things like
-kids are argumentative (what kid isnt?)
-they sleep a lot (again, who doesnt?)
-they are antisocial (with your parents?big surprise)
-grades drop (perhaps an underlying problem?)

any of these gems could make a parent suspicious without any actual evidence or really anything to actually justify suspicion. But bringing in a drug sniffing dog? If it doesnt find anything and your already moody, sullen withdrawn molly is not suddenly way more sullen then usual. You have completely lost her trust or respect. For nothing.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:56 PM

18,656 posts, read 33,251,193 times
(Disclaimer- I am not a parent, but have worked in substance abuse) Please remember that only some drugs can be sniffed, and not the majority that teens use. I don't think oxycontin and similar prescription drugs can be sniffed, although I do think heroin can be, and cocaine. Don't forget about "huffing," that can be (very dangerously) done with any computer dusting spray can.
I think marijuana is the least of anyone's worries, and that is most likely to be sniffed out.

I saw a hand-written sign in a tiny pharmacy in southern Utah- "Drug testing kits available here:
cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine"

Old 02-29-2012, 04:59 PM

869 posts, read 1,489,794 times
Pills can be sniffed out but only by specially trained dogs and most dogs arent trained for those.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,549,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I think having a suspicion and actually having reason are two different things. Kids are stupid and sometimes we as parents are too. Those little "are your kids on drugs" websites say things like
-kids are argumentative (what kid isnt?)
-they sleep a lot (again, who doesnt?)
-they are antisocial (with your parents?big surprise)
-grades drop (perhaps an underlying problem?)

any of these gems could make a parent suspicious without any actual evidence or really anything to actually justify suspicion. But bringing in a drug sniffing dog? If it doesnt find anything and your already moody, sullen withdrawn molly is not suddenly way more sullen then usual. You have completely lost her trust or respect. For nothing.
Exactly, you bring in a drug sniffing dog and you're wrong, you have just built a wall that isn't coming down.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,549,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Why is it extreme for parents to want to know if their child is doing drugs and bringing them home? Afterall, it is the parents home and they are both legally and morally liable for what goes on in their home.

I think it is an excellent idea. Maybe I should train my dog and start such a business!
There are other ways to go about this. As another poster said teens aren't the brightest people. Search their room, monitor their behavior.

Seems like a very lazy/over the top way to take care of something that the parents should be doing.

This can be done without bringing in the Gestapo.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:23 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,231,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
There are other ways to go about this. As another poster said teens aren't the brightest people. Search their room, monitor their behavior.

Seems like a very lazy/over the top way to take care of something that the parents should be doing.

This can be done without bringing in the Gestapo.
Jawohl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting