Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Excuse me, but I am well aware of how a maternity ward operates I am also aware of WHY, which you obviously are not. We have tried to explain the reasons for the policy, but you are either ignoring, or not understanding. It is standard practice at every hospital in every city in this country. People who do this for a living obviously think it is a good idea. I'm not sure on what planet the ability to take a 2 day old baby outside should trump the safety and security of all the other babies on the unit. And, again, why should nurses be tasked with doing all this checking? You don't like the rules, don't stay. Check out and go for your walk.
Nurses have to do all that accountability checking anyway. Its part of the high security ward of the hospital. For goodness sake I KNOW WHY. You guys are completely ignoring me offering a suggestion that still maintains the security of all the babies. Im not suggesting they let people off the street for a free for all with the maternity ward. For crying out loud. Stop getting so up in arms about it and just think about what im suggesting. I am well aware what I am suggesting isnt going to change anything either way but people ask for a suggestion, what would i do to maintain the safety and thats what i would do. I am no uneducated i do know how the world works. I am also aware that policies change when people challenge them not because they rolled over and showed their bellies. Sometimes you dont have to just take it, sometimes you change it. IF you can change it, then you avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I wonder what would have happened if he had just checked in at the nurses station and asked if he could take the baby out.
The article said he told the head nurse that he wanted to take the baby for some fresh air and she said the baby had to stay there. So he did it anyway. Which is where he went wrong. But asking would not have done any good.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Nurses have to do all that accountability checking anyway. Its part of the high security ward of the hospital. For goodness sake I KNOW WHY. You guys are completely ignoring me offering a suggestion that still maintains the security of all the babies. Im not suggesting they let people off the street for a free for all with the maternity ward. For crying out loud. Stop getting so up in arms about it and just think about what im suggesting. I am well aware what I am suggesting isnt going to change anything either way but people ask for a suggestion, what would i do to maintain the safety and thats what i would do. I am no uneducated i do know how the world works. I am also aware that policies change when people challenge them not because they rolled over and showed their bellies. Sometimes you dont have to just take it, sometimes you change it. IF you can change it, then you avoid it.
I don't think there are enough people wanting to take babies outside to warrant a policy change and purchase of wrist bands and training all the employees, etc. I also think there is a good chance if he'd asked at the nurses station that he might have been given permission to take the baby... that is if he hadn't removed the baby's band. ETA I just read you last post. see below.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
The article said he told the head nurse that he wanted to take the baby for some fresh air and she said the baby had to stay there. So he did it anyway. Which is where he went wrong. But asking would not have done any good.
Yes, that's where he went wrong. He thinks he's above the law.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's where he went wrong. He thinks he's above the law.
Or he thinks as a parent he has a right. I dont want there to be no security, honestly i never felt so safe in my life as when i was in the maternity ward. But I am still the parent. I would never have done this. I would never even think of doing something so ridiculous as take a baby A) without permission and B) at night. But he wanted to and I am merely suggesting that instead of prosecuting parents for child endangerment of their own child, there is a better way.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 PM

I also blame the ER doc that was with him. He, of all people, should have known the rules, and not encouraged Kennedy to break them. I hope he gets reprimanded.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Or he thinks as a parent he has a right. I dont want there to be no security, honestly i never felt so safe in my life as when i was in the maternity ward. But I am still the parent. I would never have done this. I would never even think of doing something so ridiculous as take a baby A) without permission and B) at night. But he wanted to and I am merely suggesting that instead of prosecuting parents for child endangerment of their own child, there is a better way.
I'm thinking the endangerment was getting in a physical altercation with the nurses, and running down the stairs all with the baby in his arms.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:59 PM

652 posts, read 1,052,652 times
Quote:
I also blame the ER doc that was with him. He, of all people, should have known the rules, and not encouraged Kennedy to break them. I hope he gets reprimanded.
I agree.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 PM

652 posts, read 1,052,652 times
I can think of a lot of reasons why hospitals should adhere to the current policies of not allowing babies off of the unit.

1)Hospitals are really germy places. The more times you take a baby off the unit the more chances you might get on the same elevator as a person with lots of respiratory secretions who doesn't even try to cover her mouth. While you are free to take your baby wherever once you are actually discharged, the hospital does have an interest in decreasing exposure to infection when you are there.

2)Despite what people might think, people checking their babies off and on the unit would take considerable time from hospital staff.

3)More chance to miss a visit from the doctor

4)Where I live there would be more months than not where the weather would have the chance of being unsuitable. I can't see any reason to take the baby off the unit just to go on a stroll through hospital grounds?

5)Who'd attend to your baby if an adverse event occurred?

6)There is absolutely, positively no way the hospital can know the backstory to the story of every couple that comes through the doors. No dad should be removing the baby without consent of the mom. Even so, is every mom in the hospital in a condition to make an informed decision...I know I wasn't. I also know that if such a policy existed there would have been heavy pressure to take the baby off the unit from my husband's family..not something I'd agree with

Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Well what exactly are you you advocating, because after reading your posts I have no idea? Multicolor bracelets do not seem the best security option, details still need to be checked. The staff can't possibly know the parents by sight.

The bottom line is though that if you are an inpatient, you abide by the rules that are in place for the greater good of all the babies. If you can't do that for 2 days, then seek an alternative.
This is true. The turnover is incredible in a matenity unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting