Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:19 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,175,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I don't understand the whole hierarchical mindset in a family. We ALL come first. We are a unit. We all look out for each other. We support each other.
People do not how to balance their lives. It's always one extreme or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 06:55 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,753,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Your husband is ok with your attitude?? I sure hope you have the means to support yourself down the road. What happens when your child is 18 and moves away to college--then what do you have?
Yep, we've had that discussion before actually. He would WANT me to save the child over him and same for me. The child comes before me in a life or death situation.

I take offense at your comment though, my husband and I are just fine thank you. My husband puts his life on the line every day in the military and even still he feels the child/children should be saved before him.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:41 PM

869 posts, read 1,493,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Yep, we've had that discussion before actually. He would WANT me to save the child over him and same for me. The child comes before me in a life or death situation.

I take offense at your comment though, my husband and I are just fine thank you. My husband puts his life on the line every day in the military and even still he feels the child/children should be saved before him.

We have also had this conversation. And I feel as you do, as does my husband. We actually talked about this thread and how mine and his relationship is intertwined but separate from the family relationship that involves our child

Old 03-10-2012, 10:56 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,594,017 times
Quote:

Sounds like a good man! I have a good man as well, I just couldn't imagine one that didn't feel the same way. IMO>

I think people are lying to impress others when they say their little children aren't their life, or take priority over others. I don't know one mom or dad that wouldn't save their kids first. As silly as this sounds I didn't think there were many who wouldn't.

It's sad to see but it looks like there are still a ton of woman that need a guys attention so bad that she will put her little ones on the back burner to get it. You know these guys aren't talking about the middle aged moms with college kids, most of those moms have nothing but time, it's the young hot needy ones with the little kids they are hoping won't be burdened with the kids, that's what they mean by "you're not one of those moms who's kids are their lives, are you?" Let's get real. That translated is, "We ARE going to be able to have un interrupted sex and party all night even though you are a mom, right?"
Seriously? Jerry Springer come to anyones mind? Hello? Just another excuse to batter a broad, IMO.
If she's to into her kids for ya just skip it, or is she SO hot you'll just try to work it. LMAOF......

Last edited by PoppySead; 03-10-2012 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: deleting my snarkyness

Old 03-10-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I've noticed with these women, they have a terrible sex drive as well. Not all but the one's I encounter. It's like at age 35, they have nothing left in the tank.

SEX is a "bad thing". NO, I'm not talking about booty call sex, I mean when you're in a relationship sex.
So, let me guess, you've had enough sex with these woman to know, right?

Old 03-10-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I don't understand the whole hierarchical mindset in a family. We ALL come first. We are a unit. We all look out for each other. We support each other.
Well, let me see, , I think out of the 2 adults and the 2 toddlers I'm pretty sure some in the fam would need more attention or saving then the other two. I'll think on that. Sometimes it is hard to tell. lol

Old 03-11-2012, 06:38 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,267,229 times
Quote:

I wasn't talking about life and death but the day to day things....

Old 03-11-2012, 06:46 AM

25,915 posts, read 22,070,795 times
Trust me on this. You don't want the women and you don't want any of your potential children to become involved with the children she is raising. I have seen this and it is so tragic for the children as they are shut off from life, just like mom. In their own little worlds, they are kings and queens, they will always be superior to you and yours and expect your loyalty and service. Think "narcissist".

Old 03-11-2012, 07:00 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,714,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post

I think people are lying to impress others when they say their little children aren't their life, or take priority over others.
See the above statement is the crux of the issue for me. To me those two things "my children are my life" and "my children are my first priority" are two very different statements.

The first, I take literally as I know people who say that all the time and literally mean it. They have no other role in life than mother of "x". I had a friends who when she had a baby literally dropped us. Not the normal "I need to be home most of the time" but she wouldn't even leave her then 4 yo for an evening to go to another friends wedding. She changed her facebook to "Maddie's Mommy", she also would introduce herself that way sometimes. It was wacko.

The second is much less codependent. My bestfriend and her husband just took her daughter to a week at disney. She stood in hours of lines to meet the "princesses" despite hating the whole princess thing because her daughter adores them. When she got home we promptly went out on a no kids night out and had some much needed adult time. Is her daughter her main priority? Sure. But she also takes care of her own needs as well. I know it made me a better mom to take care of myself.

As for dating sites, I would never, ever use one. Dating when you are a single mom, with very young children is just a bad idea. Wait until they are older.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:46 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,504,600 times
I'm not sure dating for all single moms with young children should be automatically ruled out. It's just a lot harder.

But if we follow-through with 'we all come first' ~ then Mom certainly deserves some time out and, yes, to date if she so chooses.

The children certainly shouldn't be involved OR be meeting a date unless it's serious but I wouldn't say that no single Mom with young children should date.

Remember, as the children age, so do we.

And I'm a defender of the statement ' my children are my life" depending on it's context. I do agree that the more appropriate statement is 'my children are my priority'. But that doesn't mean my wants or needs don't count at all.

I'm soon to be one of those single Mom's with 'nothing but time' when mine leaves for college after next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting