Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:28 PM

114 posts, read 231,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I can understand the OP's feelings very well. She was not offended the nurse thought her child would be AA. She was offended that the nurse made an extremely insensitive, rude and ignorant comment. --and in front of her child.

I definitely would discuss this with the doctor. After all, this is his/her business and things like this can affect their livelihood.

We are white, had a 2.5 y.o. biological son when we adopted a baby girl from Korea. This was 29 years ago in the deep south. You cannot imagine the incredibly rude and insensitive comments strangers felt compelled to make. Like seeing the three of us in the grocery story and asking "Are they both adopted?" or seeing me alone with my daughter and saying "She must look like her father" . Most of the time I ignored the a##holes but a few times I let them have it with "What gives you the right to come ask me such a personal question which is none of your business?" I think I threw that at somebody who asked me "How much did she cost?"

I honestly think we are doing such people a huge favor by letting them know such intrusions into our privacy are rude and unwelcomed. It just might keep them from getting their head knocked in by the next person they question.
you have hit the nail right on the head this is excatly what i was meaning!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 01:35 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
That was very unprofessional of the nurse. I do have to say that I was surprised recently by the name of a new student at my daughter's school. Her name is Leticia and she is Caucasian. I just assumed she was African-American when my daughter first mentioned the name. But I would have never told Leticia's mom, "Oh, I thought you guys must be African-American"....
Exactly. Everyone is thinking but most have the sense to not say it.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:37 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Call the doctor? Really? The time to say something would have been when it happened, to the nurse. She made an assumption, and she was wrong. She most likely won't make that mistake again. I would have said "It's a traditional Indian name, that means "Completely Free" (thanks Google). We think it suits her".

Old 03-09-2012, 01:37 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,750 times
To add, I wouldn't report the nurse. I don't see it as a big deal and it was hardly harmful.

people are way too sensitive these days.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:45 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
I'll tell you what. If a nurse had ever said that to me, she wouldn't have a job anymore What an ignorant thing to say.

I hope you spoke with the doctor at least and let him/her know of your disappointment in their support staff.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
That was very unprofessional of the nurse. I do have to say that I was surprised recently by the name of a new student at my daughter's school. Her name is Leticia and she is Caucasian. I just assumed she was African-American when my daughter first mentioned the name. But I would have never told Leticia's mom, "Oh, I thought you guys must be African-American"....

I went to school with a Leticia and she was white.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:48 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I went to school with a Leticia and she was white.
I was actually going to mention that I have a Danish friend by this name.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If you think that's bad...

I've had several people ask me if my kids have different fathers, because my oldest looks hispanic, like her dad, and my youngest is very pale and freckled with light brown hair. Even some of my FIL's friends have asked me that.
I've got another one for you all. I was picking my daughter up from school one day and a teacher said, "Lena your Grandma is here" I was like, what the he**! I am an older Mom but honestly I don't think I look like her Grandmother. My daughter was like, "that's my Mom not my Grandma". I am a firm believer that if you aren't sure, don't say anything at all.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:54 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklapps View Post
her name is pronounced as like a-nay-a the second a you really dont hear so it would be like a-ny-a or as we call her our little nyny
That's beautiful. What a lovely name.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:55 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,697,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
Unless the OP eloborates on exactly what people say, hard to tell. If the comment was phrased like, "What a strange name to give to a white child," I would be a bit pissed. I've learned never to assume anything when it comes to names, races, etc and better to not say anything. Just as you never ask a woman you don't know, "When are you expecting."

My husband is blessed with a rather unfortunate name---both first name and last name are nicknames for male body parts and he has been the subject of some rather rude comments from strangers.
Now I'm dying to know your husband's name!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting