Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:28 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
That was very unprofessional of the nurse. I do have to say that I was surprised recently by the name of a new student at my daughter's school. Her name is Leticia and she is Caucasian. I just assumed she was African-American when my daughter first mentioned the name. But I would have never told Leticia's mom, "Oh, I thought you guys must be African-American"....
There are a lot of Caucasion girls named Leticia. Usually, if its African American it's spelled Latisha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 04:49 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, I think "presumptuous" covers it well.

What would you do? Take out the nurse? You are not her employer. I mean, you're paying her salary but the doctor or office manager is the one who can fire her.

I have learned, working in pediatrics to ask, "Are you the parent?" with older looking adults who accompany kids. The younger looking grandparents seem flattered when I mistake them for the parents.

Let me guess-Dick?
Obviously I wouldn't "take her out". I never said I would get physical

There was a situation that happened to me years ago when my daughter was around 2 or so. She had a really high fever and there was a bad snow storm, so I had to take her to a pediatrician closer to where I live. I had taken her temp a few times, rectally, and brought those with me to her appt. When I showed the nurse the temps I had written down she asked how I took the temp and I told her I took them rectally. She then proceed to tell me, "we don't take rectal temps anymore, we consider that a form of abuse." I was so taken aback by this statement. Not only was I very worried about my daughters high temp, I now had a nurse telling me I had abused my daughter. When the doctor came in I made sure he understood the gravity of what his nurse had told me. He apologized profusely and let me know that she would no longer be working for him. I would do the exact same in the OP's situation. I never said I would get physical with her, I just said I would make sure she didn't have a job the next day. What she said was uncalled for and ignorant. She should have kept that thought to herself.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:53 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I never said I would get physical with her, I just said I would make sure she didn't have a job the next day. What she said was uncalled for and ignorant. She should have kept that thought to herself.
Good grief! You would actually cause someone to lose their job, in this economy, for this???? Bringing it to the doctor's attention is sufficient IMO...going beyond that on a quest to have someone lose a job over a comment that wasn't meant to be malicious is over the top. I hope that you don't work in a situation where you have to walk on egg shells or make an unintentional statement, and then meet someone as bent on carrying this so much further than it deserves.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:31 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklapps View Post
I dont know if this has happened to anyone else.
my daughter and I were at the doctors office the other day when the nurse called my daughters name, and when we got up she had made a comment that my daughters name didnt match what race she was thinking she would be?!? This is not the first time i have heard this, has anyone else ever heard this??

by the way my daughters name is Anaya and we are white.
Haven't heard that personally, but we just might. My son's name is Katon (Indonesian) and he's white... and Hispanic.

So uhh I guess he will look like his name fits; but only when, because he's part white and part brown, people assume he's Indonesian.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
Obviously I wouldn't "take her out". I never said I would get physical

There was a situation that happened to me years ago when my daughter was around 2 or so. She had a really high fever and there was a bad snow storm, so I had to take her to a pediatrician closer to where I live. I had taken her temp a few times, rectally, and brought those with me to her appt. When I showed the nurse the temps I had written down she asked how I took the temp and I told her I took them rectally. She then proceed to tell me, "we don't take rectal temps anymore, we consider that a form of abuse." I was so taken aback by this statement. Not only was I very worried about my daughters high temp, I now had a nurse telling me I had abused my daughter. When the doctor came in I made sure he understood the gravity of what his nurse had told me. He apologized profusely and let me know that she would no longer be working for him. I would do the exact same in the OP's situation. I never said I would get physical with her, I just said I would make sure she didn't have a job the next day. What she said was uncalled for and ignorant. She should have kept that thought to herself.
You said "If a nurse had ever said that to me, she wouldn't have a job anymore". I was just wondering how you think you'd get her fired when you're not her manager.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Good grief! You would actually cause someone to lose their job, in this economy, for this???? Bringing it to the doctor's attention is sufficient IMO...going beyond that on a quest to have someone lose a job over a comment that wasn't meant to be malicious is over the top. I hope that you don't work in a situation where you have to walk on egg shells or make an unintentional statement, and then meet someone as bent on carrying this so much further than it deserves.
Totally agree. I think people who try to get other people FIRED over a single comment, that was likely just a thoughtless one, are on a wacko power trip.

I am not even religious but "turn the other cheek" seems apt here.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:11 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
When I said I would speak to the doctor ( very early in this thread), I never said I would want the nurse to be fired. I would tell the doctor so he/she could be aware of the lack of professionalism in his staff and so that the nurse could be properly trained. And I doubt a doctor would immediately fire a nurse based on the complaint of one patient /mother.

How many times have you been able to come back with what you really wanted to say when a jerk has said something so totally inappropriate? Sure it would have been great if the OP was able to address the nurse right then but I think she was probably stunned into silence. Don't you go home and stew a bit and then all the things you wish you could have said come storming into your brain?

If the nurse was so clueless as to say what she did what makes you think she would have a clue as to why it was so wrong? That is why her employer should be told and let that person handle the situation the best way they see fit. This may be the first clue the doctor has about how this nurse interacts with patients or it may be the umpteenth time and the straw which finally makes the doctor take some appropriate action.

BTW when the nosy old woman came up to me and said "She must look like her father" about my Korean daughter I very sweetly said
"I wouldn't know. I didn't get a good look at his face".

Boy I will never forget the look on her face. I'm so proud of myself for being able to come up with that line so spontaneously.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
When I said I would speak to the doctor ( very early in this thread), I never said I would want the nurse to be fired. I would tell the doctor so he/she could be aware of the lack of professionalism in his staff and so that the nurse could be properly trained. And I doubt a doctor would immediately fire a nurse based on the complaint of one patient /mother.
I think that is totally appropriate at well.

Quote:
How many times have you been able to come back with what you really wanted to say when a jerk has said something so totally inappropriate? Sure it would have been great if the OP was able to address the nurse right then but I think she was probably stunned into silence. Don't you go home and stew a bit and then all the things you wish you could have said come storming into your brain?
Unfortunately, I have had to deal with insensitive remarks about race far more often than I ever thought I would. So I have gotten pretty good at it. But the other day a lady called me a name because I pointed out she was cutting the line at the supermarket. I was totally stunned into silence. Mostly I have fantasized about kicking her in the shin.

Quote:
If the nurse was so clueless as to say what she did what makes you think she would have a clue as to why it was so wrong?
Most people who are unkind, are just thoughtless, at least in my experience. They are not actually malicious. I may have been just lucky but every time I have pointed out to someone that something they said was inappropriate with regards to my daughter, they have apologized profusely. You are right though, they may not actually be learning anything.

Quote:
That is why her employer should be told and let that person handle the situation the best way they see fit. This may be the first clue the doctor has about how this nurse interacts with patients or it may be the umpteenth time and the straw which finally makes the doctor take some appropriate action.
Sure, mention it to her boss. But someone (not you) stated they would "get her fired" and had done it to others in the past. That is bonkers.

Quote:
BTW when the nosy old woman came up to me and said "She must look like her father" about my Korean daughter I very sweetly said
"I wouldn't know. I didn't get a good look at his face".

Boy I will never forget the look on her face. I'm so proud of myself for being able to come up with that line so spontaneously.
LOL that is a good one.

The worst one for me personally I have gotten a few times was "she is so beautiful, is she yours?" I think they are just trying to think of a way to ask if she is adopted without asking "is she adopted?". Again, mostly thoughtless, not malicious.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The worst one for me personally I have gotten a few times was "she is so beautiful, is she yours?" I think they are just trying to think of a way to ask if she is adopted without asking "is she adopted?". Again, mostly thoughtless, not malicious.
When I was a young mom, I had very dark, some would say black, hair. I could easily pass for hispanic. My kids have blond and red hair. One time at the grocery store, the clerk, who was hispanic, asked me if they were my kids. I said yes and she said "both of them?" I thought it was funny.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When I was a young mom, I had very dark, some would say black, hair. I could easily pass for hispanic. My kids have blond and red hair. One time at the grocery store, the clerk, who was hispanic, asked me if they were my kids. I said yes and she said "both of them?" I thought it was funny.
LOL! Can you imagine how much more offensive those comments would be towards their dad?

The weirdest one was when we were flying back from the Philippines when my daughter was maybe 11 months old. My dad put us in first class because it was cheaper than two coach seats, so no lie, Eddie Van Halen and Sebastian Bach (the lead singer of Skid Row a moderately famous band) were sitting in the row behind me. Eddie went to sleep but Sebastian talked almost non-stop and opened with the "is she yours" comment WHILE I was breast feeding her. Could you imagine if I wasnt? Just some sort of REALLY dedicated nanny?? Ugh, I guess they aren't rock stars because they are brilliant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting