Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 03:45 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,850,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
This thread was started in Sept of 2007!
The OP has not been signed on since Nov 2007....
Oh well, makes for good conversation regarless.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:38 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,133,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Let me tell you... I had really crazy irrational fears about childbirth with my SECOND son... because my first was an emergency c-section, but I was trying for a vaginal birth with number two. I wanted this very badly but at the same time I'd lose sleep over thoughts of horrible pain and so on.

And I won't lie, it did hurt, but I have felt worse. I've had period cramps that were worse! And the c-section hurt like hell for WEEKS (vs hours). I was in labor a long time, and had a very big baby (10lbs, 13oz) with no drugs, and while it hurt it was more exhausting than anything else... and after he was born? I felt like I could take over the world!

So for ME it was very empowering and kind of exhilarating. And painful, but so much more "worth" the pain than broken bones and everything else I've felt before and since (non baby related).

My grandma asked me, right after and very sarcastically "So, you going to do that AGAIN?", expecting me to say no, and I said "Sure, in a couple years!"

She was baffled of course and was wondering why they hadn't just "knocked me out" like they did in her day.
Yes, empowering and exhilarating! That's it exactly!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:48 PM

308 posts, read 1,615,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
First of all, you just might have a very easy labor and delivery. But regardless of anything, I promise you...in time, you will forget all about the pain and or post pardum depression, etc. The bond with your baby will make you want to do it all over again. As much of a hard time I had recovering from my c-section, I would do it a million times over to give birth to my son again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
Sorry but this is a gross overgeneralization that I hear from a number of people quite frequently. And while it might certainly be true for the individual spouting it, not everyone has the same experience that you did; some people do indeed remember the PITA of pregnancy, labor, delivery, postpartum crap, etc., many, many moons later, without any desire to ever go through it again for any reason whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
I was expressing my own personal opinion, and the opinion of some of my friends, co-workers and family members.
Yes, and that's all fine & good if you (and your family, friends, & coworkers) believe it. However, "promising" someone that this IS the way it will be (your words, not mine) allows others to potentially wonder what is wrong with them when they don't experience the same thing.

After all, everyone else thought it was just grand afterwards, after days, weeks, months, or years had passed. After all, they all "promised" that "in time you WILL forget." You cannot promise that to another individual. You can share your experience and that of others you know. You can reassure them that for yourself & for many people who you know that it wasn't so bad in the end and that you would go through it again if given the choice/opportunity. Don't promise something that you can't guarantee. In this case, you cannot and should not.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperieux View Post
I think it's wonderful when I hear stories like this. To me, it's the best possible scenario and I love how it empowered you.

To those who are expecting.. all pregnancies are different and all women's bodies are different, so it's really impossible to predict how future deliveries will go. Many women have wonderfully easy pregnancies and deliveries like the one above. Worrying will only stress you and your baby and you'll handle whatever life throws you for the sake of your baby anyway. That's what we women do. We just do it. We can b**** about it later.

Maybe I should have also added that the drug Pitocin contributed to my complications during delivery.

And giving birth during on the 4th of July does have it's disadvantages, too!
Well said!

And, Pitocin most definitely is a b*tch.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:10 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,133,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
Well said!

And, Pitocin most definitely is a b*tch.
I've read that Pitocin induced labor is much more painful then a women's normal labor would be. The Pitocin might be the guilty party in many women's horrific labor and not the labor itself. I wonder if that means some women are getting epidurals to stave off Pitocin-induced pain. That would definitely make Pitocin a b*tch.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:35 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,535,821 times
No pitocin here, and I thought childbirth was AWFUL!!! By far the most painful thing I've ever experienced. That said, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat, my son has been the greatest joy in my life. In fact, we are currently working on baby #2!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:14 PM

50 posts, read 131,254 times
wow i was all excited to have children but you guys just ruined it... I went from being not as scared to terrified again...

Old 06-27-2008, 01:09 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,535,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane06 View Post
wow i was all excited to have children but you guys just ruined it... I went from being not as scared to terrified again...
Awww, don't be scared. No matter what kind of horror stories we tell, we mostly all say its worth it and we would do it again in a heartbeat.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Awww, don't be scared. No matter what kind of horror stories we tell, we mostly all say its worth it and we would do it again in a heartbeat.
I agree. If you start to fret now, it will only make things worse for you. Yes, there are people who have bad experiences and there are people who truly do not wish to go through the experience again. However, no one can tell you exactly how the experience will be for you. If you are terrified to begin with, then you may be reluctant to do what is needed and/or the additional stress may affect your experience overall. Keep an open mind and you just might be one of the lucky ones who enjoy it.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:35 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,723,573 times
Sure it hurts but honestly, you do forget about the pain, or at least when your epidural kicks in! I've have 4 babies, the last two were twins and honestly though, I'm not a fair person to ask because all my deliveries have been pretty easy and quick But it did hurt like a mother before the epidurals,lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.