Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 PM

741 posts, read 1,283,295 times

Advertisements

I'm am thankful for the way my parents handled my transition into adulthood. After high school I was dropped off at college and only came home on holidays, same for my Masters Degree. But after that was finished, they allowed me go come back to the family nest for awhile. I didn't know WHERE I'd find a job, they didn't want me locking myself into one part of the state/country with a rental agreement only to find a job elsewhere. When I moved back in I was give "run of the house", but also paid them a reasonable rent, and became fully responsible for my bills, except for AAA car/towing coverage which my parents always "gifted me" for my birthday. I lived quite happily there and in less than a year I had found a good job. They graciously allowed me to continue living with them to save up a small fund, and a few months after that I was gone for good.
I'd always welcome a child to live with me if they were taking care of themselves, their own bills, and trying to move foreward with their life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 04:47 PM

19,398 posts, read 12,043,004 times
The best thing I ever, ever did was to get my own apartment. It was the only thing that made me feel truly independent and it was great that I could come and go without anyone asking or wondering where I was (even nonintrusive parents will worry if their adult kid living in their house is gone for two days) I loved decorating it as I pleased and having everything in my own name. There is nothing like that feeling and sadly many gen Ys will never know it.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:49 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,946,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The best thing I ever, ever did was to get my own apartment. It was the only thing that made me feel truly independent and it was great that I could come and go without anyone asking or wondering where I was (even nonintrusive parents will worry if their adult kid living in their house is gone for two days) I loved decorating it as I pleased and having everything in my own name. There is nothing like that feeling and sadly many gen Ys will never know it.
Yeah getting your own place probably makes a whole lot of difference.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:53 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,352,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Not if you tell them of your plans. That is common courtesy to whomever you're living with - roommate, parents, spouse etc.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:55 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,355,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
Well to me, there is no kick them out at 18. I dont believe that just because some obscure date has passed the children suddenly become responsible adults. At 17 3/4 they are kids but at 18 they are adults, no way.

But beyond that, about them living at home. Where I come from, and in many and many generations passed, it has been perfectly acceptable and expected to live at home until you get married and are financially on your own. You may do that when you are 19 or when you are 28. At some point you move on, but until you are capable of taking care of yourself and your spouse and vice versa, you live at home.

28? Come now, seriously. Personal accountability needs to start way before that!

Old 03-20-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Not if you tell them of your plans. That is common courtesy to whomever you're living with - roommate, parents, spouse etc.
I get with parents or a spouse but i dont think you have to with a roommate, no adult should have to check in with another adult and its not always your roommates business where you go or what you do.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
How old is Gen Y?

What I've noticed is that most kids who move out are just supported by their mom and dad and then act like big boys even though they probably don't even pay their own car insurance or buy their own cars or pay their rent or you name it lol.

I don't think it is a big deal for someone to be living at home if they are being productive and at home for a good reason. If they are at home, not in school, not really looking for work or working in a crappy job then they should be kicked out of the house if they are over 20 or 21 years old.

Everything has gotten very lenient in the world, I see FAR too many people with the entitlement attitude, not only in USA... but everywhere in the world.
You said it! It is frightening to me how many younger people just expect things to be easy. Many will not work until they are "happy" or find the "perfect job."

Old 03-20-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy carrie View Post
I have noticed the bolded too! You're not independent if your parents are paying for you to live away from them. Just kills me.

As to the rest of your post, I agree with you 100%.
Yes, me too. But these parents are also allowing it by paying for their car insurance, etc. I am the voice of tough love here, but I really wish more people would not enable their kids in arrested development!

Old 03-20-2012, 04:59 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,352,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I get with parents or a spouse but i dont think you have to with a roommate, no adult should have to check in with another adult and its not always your roommates business where you go or what you do.
Letting someone know you won't be home for several days is common courtesy. You don't need to tell them what you'll be doing but honestly, how would someone know if they should call the police if you never came home from a night out on the town? I told my daughter that when she left for college. It has nothing to do with control, it has to do with common sense.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Letting someone know you won't be home for several days is common courtesy. You don't need to tell them what you'll be doing but honestly, how would someone know if they should call the police if you never came home from a night out on the town? I told my daughter that when she left for college. It has nothing to do with control, it has to do with common sense.
And if you lived alone there would be no one to check in with, so what does it matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting