Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:23 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times

Advertisements

". . .Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday . . ."

Kahill Gibran

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 05:39 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Well, you can surely give children your thoughts while raising them and that becomes what they measure against the thoughts coming in from everywhere else like the media. When I housed their bodies, their souls were there also and I was working to influence their souls. And, I did seek to make them like me as far as the values and morals of the family.

OK, I did not get this poem. It just seemed like contrary to helping children develop into adults which I felt was my duty to my children. Too many parents today are like the turtles that run up on the beach, lay the eggs and take back off for the ocean. Having children is not a right, it is a responsibility.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:42 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
You can tell them what you think, but you can't make them think the same thing as you.

Your child is his/her own person.

It's not saying, "Have kids, then leave them on their own to figure out the world."

I think it's saying, "You may bring these children into the world, but they are not you. You brought them here, but you did not make them."

I like the turtle analogy. I know many kids who are like orphans in their own homes, not engaged by their parents, who are preoccupied by cell phones, running to work out or to work.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:57 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
I love Kahill Gibran!

Old 03-20-2012, 07:06 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,621,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I love Kahill Gibran!
marry him and have a child together, careful what you teach them though.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Well, you can surely give children your thoughts while raising them and that becomes what they measure against the thoughts coming in from everywhere else like the media. When I housed their bodies, their souls were there also and I was working to influence their souls. And, I did seek to make them like me as far as the values and morals of the family.

OK, I did not get this poem. It just seemed like contrary to helping children develop into adults which I felt was my duty to my children. Too many parents today are like the turtles that run up on the beach, lay the eggs and take back off for the ocean. Having children is not a right, it is a responsibility.
You can share your thoughts but they either will make them their own or not.

A whole lot of us actually are more like our parents then we may have once intended to be. I remember as a teen thinking that if/when I ever had kids I was going to be such a different parent, would not do to my kids what my parents did to us, and say the things they said.

Then you have kids and it all changes. You repeat the exact phrase your parents used with you. Even that "When I was your age, I hiked through 5 milies of 5 foot snow to get to school because I wanted to go..." And they roll their eyes at you just the same way you did at them.

More often than them marching into the future is a cycle repeating over and over.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:09 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,732 times
I think it's just saying to view children as individuals rather than as extensions of ourselves.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:19 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Is this OT? I love reading people's posts. But why do people make it difficult by using purple bold text and other dancing bologna? OP, maybe your post is interesting. I will never know because it is so hard to read.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:22 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I think it's just saying to view children as individuals rather than as extensions of ourselves.
But they are both.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:22 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
"To All of Those Parents Who Believe They OWN "Their" Children"

No one owns another.
And our kids ARE ours... genetically they would not exist as they are without our DNA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting