Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:00 AM

59 posts, read 198,677 times

Advertisements

My wife signed me up for my kindergartner's "Daddy Tells the class about his job" day. Only problem is I think my job description is dull for kids: I am a software engineer that sits at a desk and goes to meetings all day!

They want the dads to do a 30 min presentation. I cannot for the life of me think of what to do and say for such a period of time without being totally dull! What am I gonna demo, how to debug computer code or talk about programming?

It's not like I program video games or something. How I wish I was a fireman or something right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 12:33 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadisssss View Post
My wife signed me up for my kindergartner's "Daddy Tells the class about his job" day. Only problem is I think my job description is dull for kids: I am a software engineer that sits at a desk and goes to meetings all day!

They want the dads to do a 30 min presentation. I cannot for the life of me think of what to do and say for such a period of time without being totally dull! What am I gonna demo, how to debug computer code or talk about programming?

It's not like I program video games or something. How I wish I was a fireman or something right now...
Bring them a game that is suitable for their age group that was designed by professionals in your field. Explain to them that software engineers design 'stuff like this'.

I dunno

Old 03-20-2012, 02:15 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
This is hard, but...

you could try this for explaining programming

non programmers - Explaining programming to a child - Programmers - Stack Exchange

Quote:
You could have the child tell you how to do something (this should be a task that the child fully understands how to do). Then play the following game:

Ask the kid to give you very specific instructions.
Follow the instructions the child gives you, as he/she says them.
If you feel that his/her instructions are too high-level, ask for clarification.
Deliberately mis-interpret vague instructions.

This should help to explain how you instruct a computer to these certain tasks. You can then explain that once you teach the computer how to do something, it can repeat that task over and over again, very quickly
We did this with sandwiches (as one post suggested) when my kids were in K and they wrote the instructions down. It was hilarious.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:28 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I really like nana's idea. And 3run's post is what I would have said.

Also, why not an intro about why you wanted to do it, what kind of things you did when you were a kid (my comp sci geek friends were always programming stuff at home and playing with computers in their free time), what kind of schooling it took...give them the back story and then plunge into the day-to-day.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:53 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Sprinkle magic powder like Steve Jobs....

Old 03-20-2012, 05:00 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
Quote:

I can't imagine 5 and 6 year olds sitting through 30 minutes of anything, even if you were a firefighter.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:26 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
Just put this on repeat

Developers - YouTube

Seriously though- Best of luck. I am surprised they are making the time limit 30mins. Seems a bit much in my honest opinion

Old 03-20-2012, 05:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Can you do a simple program for them during the demonstration that maybe creates a picture or something on the screen when it is done? I agree, 30 minutes is WAY too long for a kindergarten presentation. Do they have computers in the classroom? If so, can you develop something simple so they can try "programming"? Maybe even some keyboard codes so they can make stars, hearts, etc. in a Word program? If they don't have computers in the classroom, I would suggest you bring in a couple laptops if you can (or more). If you can get kindergartners to do some hands on your 30 minutes will be a LOT easier.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:

Thirty minutes?! How many dads will be speaking? Only six dads plus recess, breaks, and lunch will eat up most of the day. I'd double-check the time. Five or 10 minutes seem more appropriate.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:34 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Definitely don't go into it like you're not as cool as a fireman. If you do, they'll eat you alive.

You will have to keep it VERY basic. And I agree 30 minutes is unrealistic.

Kids at that age don't understand how things relate to each other. I would think explaining to them how "software" functions in our world and is in SO MANY things they and their parents do. Give plenty of examples of how things they wouldn't think of use software.

If you need to kill time, you could always show this:

Monster Ad - What Do You Want To Be... - YouTube

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting