Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,811,618 times

Advertisements

Those of us with extremely close relationships with our sons can relate to this new book. Old stereotypes can finally be thrown out the window.

Mama's Boy Myth Debunked: Sons Who Are Close to Mom Grow Stronger - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 08:18 AM

770 posts, read 1,173,730 times
Being a mama's boy and just having a close relationship with your mother are not the same. I've never heard anyone say that the latter is bad.

Last edited by luckynumber4; 03-21-2012 at 08:58 AM..

Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,811,618 times
But some people think just having a close relationship with his mother makes him a mamas boy. so not true.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,560,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
But some people think just having a close relationship with his mother makes him a mamas boy. so not true.
I haven't heard anybody make that connection. Mama's boys and daddy's girls seem to be their own dysfunctional subset. This ties in with imcurious's thread about kids' growing up and finding someone else to be the center of their universes. Sure, that can be a melancholy time for a parent, but a parent should not come before a spouse in a healthy adult relationship. A mama's boy or daddy's girl doesn't redirect focus, and all kinds of friction ensues.

My husband does not have a close relationship with his mother, although I would be happy for him if that were possible. I would NOT marry a mama's boy ... no way.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:02 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,219,859 times
When i think of mamas boy i think of someone who generally has an overbearing mother who feels her boy can do no wrong, lives with her until the age of 40, and never really grows up.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,056,047 times
If we leave out the dysfunctional "mamma's-boy" that is not able to separate his relationship with his mother and the rest of the world especially other females(Norman Bates type), if we stick to those that have a healthy loving respectful relationship with his mother, then THOSE will almost always make better partners and husbands. Think about it, a man usually treats other females how he treats his mother.

Being a Mamma's-boy isn't always a bad thing.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,130,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
But some people think just having a close relationship with his mother makes him a mamas boy.
I have never heard that.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,817,522 times
As others have mentioned I think that the term mama's boy needs some definition. If you define a mama's boy as a man that has an attachement to his mother that is the number one priority in his life then being a mama's boy is not a good thing. However, if you define a mama's boy as a man that has a close, warm, loving relationship with his mother then I don't think this is a bad thing.

Being a mama's boy does not have to mean that a man has a dysfunctional relationship with his mother.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:59 AM

33,943 posts, read 22,393,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I have never heard that.
OH, I have ~ many times. Although most little boys love their Mama's ~ people go all crazy if they think you are too close - even when he is like 2 years old.

So many people advised me not to turn him into a so-called "Mamas Boy".

Really, it was irritating. My one know-it-all girlfriend (never went to college; never went anywhere but knows everything about everything) once told me that 'he'll never leave home'. This is when he was about 4. And she was quite confident when she said it - as she always is.

Well, guess what? Mine will be leaving for college and her daughter refuses to leave the nest.

It's ridiculous the sterotypes that are put on little boys simply for loving their Mother's.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:03 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,123,212 times
GF's see coaching by mama a threat. they are right. w/o it most guys are a blind pig being led to market. mama is not in love with your GF and will see things a bit differently than u will. listen to your mama she knows women, she is one. carmen jovet says all mothers should coach their sons to get a prenup. now why would a TV star middle aged mother say something like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting