Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:04 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am not sure how politics got involved here. But I have to say, LK, there is nothing of liberal mindset going on here. What is going on here is 13-20yo mindset. It is what it is.
I'm 26!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 03:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
she always worked doing odd jobs to make a living.
Even more reason to show her some respect.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Even more reason to show her some respect.
I will give her that, she was a hustler and never worked for anyone . She used to sew for people, and sell flowers and soft crabs in the summer.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
She used to sew for people, and sell flowers and soft crabs in the summer.
My respect for her is growing by the minute.

Yes. I'd have definitely told daughter to put a sock in it.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:15 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,252 times
Was she calling you unrepeatable names when you were 13, or is that happening now? I would agree that parents should not let anyone call their minor children obscene names. Now, though, you're an adult, capable of ignoring, deflecting, or even leaving, if you really can't tolerate your grandmother's behavior.

It would be unthinkable to put a family elder out, unless the person was attacking family members with hatchets or dealing drugs from the front porch, at minimum.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
Was she calling you unrepeatable names when you were 13, or is that happening now? I would agree that parents should not let anyone call their minor children obscene names. Now, though, you're an adult, capable of ignoring, deflecting, or even leaving, if you really can't tolerate your grandmother's behavior.

It would be unthinkable to put a family elder out, unless the person was attacking family members with hatchets or dealing drugs from the front porch, at minimum.
Over the years she has called me a few names for dress,and taking birth control. Mostly she is just nit picky,bossy,pushy, and sometimes petty, and in the end my mother and her began to tangle which led to her deciding to move on in life. Like i said, i know i play my part in things because i am a mule head like her, and we just end up in a battle of wills. Though the names i think i do has some justification for fighting over.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:36 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times
If my mom moved in with me and she was constantly berating my young teenage daughter with name calling and putting her down and degrading her all the time, i would first have a serious talk with my mom, i would tell her that since my daughter was doing these things it was obviously because i allowed her to and if she had an issue with my daughter she could take it up with me, instead of a child.

If the behavior continued and my mom couldnt treat my daughter with some respect and stop hounding her over everything then i would ask her to make other arrangements.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
My parents would have kicked my butt inside out if I ever dared raise my voice to my grandmother. That's about as far as that situation would have gone, so I have no suggestions.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:21 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Honestly if my g'ma had said I looked like a **** in my outfit, my Mom would raise an eye brow as if to say ... something to think about, young lady. And why anyone in your family needs to know you are on birth control, I cannot fathom. Sounds like an episode of Days of Our Lives though I may be offending fans of that fine show since I am not 100% sure if it is what I think it is. Shall I say General Hospital then?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:18 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Again...
I would "dread" growing old in OP's household with her children the way "she is" if I am her own mother.

Grandmama working... especially to help out the family... or even her own contributions to the family = kudos & respect.

Granddaughter on birth control & dress like a "S" (great "social" image to portray as representation of our already "low moral" society = very good for the country *must be joking right*), I would say (and actually "do" eg. like kick her out) something if I am OP's mom.

Even if I know not everyone on this forum is like that...
But still.. sad truth is more & more "youngster" is that "mindless" & actually very very spoiled as OP has so graciously shown.

Maybe if the next century were to belong to the "Asians" (korean, chinese, japanese, indian etc.) countries... they can teach some "good" sense to this culture even??? Really... the leadership of this world cannot be "represented via so "meaningless", "mindless", and that "low morals" of a culture can it??? Are "lies" going to be alright now??? Is throwing your grandmom under the bus going to be a "cool" to do now???

If the above is not showing "moral decay" and how it is to be looked upon by other country...
And how much of a laughing stock (since clinton's "a president" lie in broad day lights & worse, broadcasted to the rest of the entire world...) OP would be if (removed from US forum & put into an "international one), and she is already "not approved of" even here (in response to that "Sad" part & not everyone is like that... in US forum).

I wonder even if not in the Asian's standards of respecting elderly... what will OP be painted as but a "pro" in the Muslim cultures (even if I do not agree w. that religion)???? And do you know what percentage of Muslims are there on earth??? Go google...

I think to most moms who believes in teaching their DDs right...
OP would be quite a "shame" for the family.

P.S. Thanks to you OP... I'll make sure my DD "read this". My DD WILL NOT BE "like you".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting