Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:58 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,276,638 times

Advertisements

Say you have a grandmother who moves into your house with the intention of when we move living in the new mother in law cottage on the land were are building a house on. Grandmom is like the wicked old witch mixed with glen beck, and gets into constant mental, along with screaming fist ti cuffs with her liberal grand daughter. Say she is bossy, picks on everything you do, tells you that your siblings do things better, does not like your cooking, does not like the way you decorate. Even goes so far as to tell your daughters that a woman's job is to stay home,take care of the kids, and please her husband. And that basically her wants in life don't even factor into the equation. So having all this happen WWYD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 08:49 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
If I was the granddaughter, I would keep my mouth shut and let my parent(s) deal with it as they see fit.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Is your Grandmother living with you? If so, I'd say she really should be your parents' responsibility.

Or is she living with your parents and you are feeling sorry for them?

Screaming fights with the children? I'd be looking for a nice retirement community or AL.

That's just me.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:57 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,545,468 times
I'm sorry for the tense situation .. but really just sounds like you're looking for a fight.

You're not really looking for what would we do, because given the way you've presented the situation - almost all people will side with the grandaughter in being unhappy in the situation.

Don't know what role you are in but it is the PARENTS place to deal with the grandparent (presumably - one of their own parents). The grandaughter should just "kill them with kindness" and avoid in engaging in confrontations with the grandmother.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Say you have a grandmother who moves into your house with the intention of when we move living in the new mother in law cottage on the land were are building a house on. Grandmom is like the wicked old witch mixed with glen beck, andgets into constant mental, along with screaming fist ti cuffs with her liberal grand daughter. Say she is bossy, picks on everything you do, tells you that your siblings do things better, does not like your cooking, does not like the way you decorate. Even goes so far as to tell your daughters that a woman's job is to stay home,take care of the kids, and please her husband. And that basically her wants in life don't even factor into the equation. So having all this happen WWYD?
Presumably the grandmother in question is living at my house with my invitation and consent. If my adult child was engaging in "screaming fisticuffs" with my 90 year old mother (no matter how annoying she might be), I'd most likely be very disappointed in my child's behavior at this point in her life (not like she's 15 after all) and have a discussion about learning how to let some things roll off her back since at 90, grandma is unlikely to change her mind. Smiling and nodding is underrated. Or suggest that she, at twentysomething, might want to look at finding somewhere on her own if this living arrangement is so unsatisfactory. But that's just me.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:16 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Quote:
Say you have a grandmother who moves into your house with the intention of when we move living in the new mother in law cottage on the land were are building a house on. Grandmom is like the wicked old witch mixed with glen beck, and gets into constant mental, along with screaming fist ti cuffs with her liberal grand daughter. Say she is bossy, picks on everything you do, tells you that your siblings do things better, does not like your cooking, does not like the way you decorate. Even goes so far as to tell your daughters that a woman's job is to stay home,take care of the kids, and please her husband. And that basically her wants in life don't even factor into the equation. So having all this happen WWYD?
Take a black boyfriend home. If you're black, take a white guy home.

The crocodile's first girlfriend took him home. Her parents and grandparents were mortified at the sight of the crocodile.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Take a black boyfriend home. If you're black, take a white guy home.

The crocodile's first girlfriend took him home. Her parents and grandparents were mortified at the sight of the crocodile.
See that would not work because my grandmom in that aspect didn't care. And did not think you should date anyone before marriage anyway.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Is your Grandmother living with you? If so, I'd say she really should be your parents' responsibility.

Or is she living with your parents and you are feeling sorry for them?

Screaming fights with the children? I'd be looking for a nice retirement community or AL.

That's just me.
Gods no lol. This is what took place most of the year i was 13 though.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
See that would not work because my grandmom in that aspect didn't care. And did not think you should date anyone before marriage anyway.
But dating after marriage is ok?

Old 03-21-2012, 11:51 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Does the grandmothers suggestions have to have a reply? What is she capable of that people take her seriously for? If you can't just nod and turn away knowing you will do what you want then why is that?
She is old, and isn't going to make any logical sense to younger people. Why does it matter if she does or not? Most older people just want an ok, they aren't capable of seeing anything through. Is there a way she can enforce her requests? If not I'd ignore it, say "oh, ok grandma" "I see" and then leave and do what you already do. Why argue? She'll be dead eventually.

If she cannot be ignored and appeased then maybe counseling would help. They might give her something to relax her evil ways. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting