Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:00 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,895 times

Advertisements

For instance, if you need to run to the store or want to go for a jog before they wake up. I know 6 is too young and 18 is plenty old but what ag do you think is appropriate?

(I posted here instead of parenting board because I am mostly interested in what the law says. I feel the child in question is OK to handle. She and the parent both have a phone....)

Thoughts? Facts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 06:24 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
If she's old enough to have a phone she's old enough to be left...IMHO - but in honesty it really depends on the child. There are state laws in some (many) states about when it's actually legal.

I've been leaving my 11 year olds alone for about 2 years, for about an hour at a time. One is very trustworthy. The other not so much....and he really doesn't like being left alone. I try to keep it really brief if for some reason he needs to be left totally alone.

The only thing that would worry me about leaving a sleeping child is their inability to wake up for a fire alarm. All 3 of my kids have slept thru absolutely blaring fire alarms. The last time I had to have the FD come and I told them my daughter could not be roused and they said it's a very common occurrence with kids and that the best fire alarms for kids are the ones that say "FIRE! WAKE UP NOW!" which we obviously don't have.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:28 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
I found this:

Latchkey Kids Legal Age Limits Listed By State

I used to work with a woman who worked for CPS and she said they usually consider age 12 to be appropriate - that's a bit old IMHO.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:54 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
Quote:
I know 6 is too young
It may not be. I know for a fact my 5yo daughter would be absolutely fine if I left her at home alone for a few hours. Would I do it? Hell no.

Quote:
I am mostly interested in what the law says.
I think it's absolutely pathetic there has to be a law that dictates at which age a child can be left home alone. A parent should know what age is appropriate as it all depends on how good of a parenting job the child has received.

What else is pathetic every year I have to renew my license to fish.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:30 PM

162 posts, read 460,744 times
I had always heard that 11 years was the appropriate age. But it depends on the child's maturity. As a parent you should know how comfortable your child is being home alone. Some are thrilled and others are scared. It depends on your child and I don't believe there is a legal age required before one can be left home alone. If you're nervous about it, start out in stages of a half hour then an hour etc. until everyone is okay with the situation.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:20 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I I know for a fact my 5yo daughter would be absolutely fine if I left her at home alone for a few hours. .
Unless something goes wrong ...

Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
There is no legal age in NC. Fire code says 8.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:20 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
^that's the correct answer. Don't leave a child under 8 home alone. Also? Don't leave a child under 8 at home without another individual that can be responsible for him/her. There's no specific age for that one, but obviously it may well be frowned upon if you have your 9yo watching your toddler all alone while you're at work. If there was a fire and either child was harmed? You might be facing charges. I never left mine home without anyone younger than a teenager when they were under 8.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:22 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
What else is pathetic every year I have to renew my license to fish.
Why? You can do it online, it has never been easier.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:56 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Why? You can do it online, it has never been easier.
Yeah, I know. I think you missed my sarcasm with the statement. My point was I have to have a license to fish but any idiot (not directed toward the o.p., just general population) can have a child.

Quote:
Unless something goes wrong ...
You are correct which is why I wouldn't leave her alone. However, even if something did go wrong I'm certain she'd be able to handle the situation better than the majority of other kids her age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting