Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:44 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
And some of these kids are probably the product of parents who feel they are the VICTIMS of racism. Give me a break.

Yes, racism works both ways, but it can probably only end with whom it began. For every black on white crime anybody can dig up, I can come back with double white on black crime...and I'd be willing to bet that blacks are arrested, prosecuted, and serve more time than a white person who commits the same crime. People had a fit when OJ was acquitted, and at least he was arrested and had a trial. Zimmerman murdered a child and walked away like it was nothing, and it had to take national outrage for people to even consider charging him with anything.

Trayvon Martin's murder struck a chord with so many black parents because we KNOW that could have been our child. Most of us have experienced being followed around, pulled over, watched in stores, being accused, harassed, or blamed for something for no other reason than the color of our skin. I know at some point in my dd's life, she is going to experience it too. It is easy for someone who has never had to go through this to believe that racism is no longer an issue, but living with your head in the sand does not make the world's problems disappear.
As a white person with multiracial children and siblings I thought I knew what it felt like. I was wrong.

I went to Hawaii with my daughter to visit family. She is only 1/4 Hawaiian but everyone assumes she is all Hawaiian. Anyway we were not in the tourist areas frequently and I actually had people throw a bag of garbage out of a moving car and call me a haole. Things like that happened only a couple of time but by the time it had happened three times I was shocked at the level of anger I felt for being judged based on the color of my skin. Knowing that some white people had earned this term did nothing to make it more palatable to me.

I can still almost taste that sourness in my mouth that was bottled up anger. I cannot imagine how some groups of people go through that on a daily basis and don't end up bitter and hateful. They must be better people then me.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:53 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Did you see the video of the Black kids protesting Martins shooting go into the drug store, pillage and steal in mass ? There is so much black misconduct and crime that any other race will profile to be leery of the black community. When we see a reduction in the problems their image will improve.

It's natural to profile someone who will do you harm no matter what color. All of us do this daily every time we meet or pass by a stranger in the street. If they look like they will do you harm, you instinctively avoid or take actions to reduce the risk.

Many minorities have in their community, family issues that used to be taken care of by the church. Our welfare system has destroyed the support on the local level and made the system worse no matter the color.

It's easy to blame othes and past history but until any community puts value on education and the family, they will continue to have major problems. Crime raises a red flag to any individual or group of people to self protect.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
I feel that this topic has strayed too far from the OP and is probably not going to get back on track. Discussions about racism should go in Politics & Other Controversies, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting