Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:59 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Fortunately, so far my daughter hasn't been bullied, but there was one incident when she was younger where a boy was doing some mean things to her, because she rejected him as a friend. He once asked her if she wanted a tatoo, and when she said no, he wrote on her arm with a pen. He also once took her head and banged it into another girl's head when they were sitting next to each other. I spoke to him after school and told him to stay away from her. If he didn't I would call his mom. He never bothered her again. At that time, I had told my daughter that if any one were ever to hit her to hit back. My husband disagreed and told her that wasn't the answer and to tell a teacher. My goody two shoes dd told me that she couldn't hit anyone, because she didn't want to get in trouble. Times have certainly changed!! My feeling is that there are just some kids who need to know that you won't take any crap. Luckily, we haven't had any incidents. My daughter has no concept of what hititng back or fightiing is, which is good...I guess.I was being a mama bear and not politically correct.

Exactly, maybe it is a NY thing....

but I agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:19 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
If my children were in danger of being bullied I would enroll them in some sort of martial arts program to not only teach them physical skills to defend themselves but also the psychological edge of self esteem over the bully.

I have girls now and there have been no issues of bullying at school however something did happen in the neighborhood. a smallish boy was being tormented by his older sister in front of the neighborhood kids. He got so frustrated and angry that he lashed out at my smallish daughter who just happened to be standing close to him. In other words the closest thing he could kick. I heard the complete details from two older teens who witnessed the whole thing.

After I comforted by daughter who had a big knot on her shin I walked down the street until I saw the offender and I called him to me. He was very hesitant but eventually did and kept his eyes down while i started talking to him. I bent over to him and in a strong but non threatening voice I told him "Look someone in the eye when you are talking to them." Then I told him if he ever laid a hand on my daughter again he would personally have to deal with me and I would include his parents in the discussion as well. I asked him if that is what he wanted and of course he said no. Never had another problem with him and all the kids play well together except this older sister who I learned was a big bully to her little brother.

Personally I would never tell my girls to hit another child but to find an adult to get involved.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:13 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
If a bully messes with my kid...
(My child will warn the bully first of course what I'd do... "lawfully" of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting