Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:57 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,571,500 times

Advertisements

Why would a parent do this?

News, Alicia Silverstone chews food for her 11-month-old child, Bear Blu

Celebrities have a tendency to be a little on the quirky side, but is "Clueless" star Alicia Silverstoneā€™s unique method of feeding her 11-month-old son Bear Blu clever or, well, clueless?

The actress and animal rights activist posted a video herself feeding her son breakfast on her popular health food website TheKindLife.com over the weekend.

Read more: Alicia Silverstone Chews Food For Her 11-month-old Child, Bear Blu | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,403 times
Sounds messy, but I don't have a problem with it as such.
When my kids were starting on solids, I would sometimes chew whatever food a bit, then pass it to their mouth via my fingers.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:58 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
Parents have been feeding their babies this way for thousands of years. In a healthy parent with no transmittable disease, there is absolutely no reason for a parent not to premasticate.

Why is this even news? For millions of mothers around the world who do not have access to store-bought jars of baby food or food processors, this is the way they feed their babies.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 03-28-2012 at 05:39 AM..

Old 03-28-2012, 06:36 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Interesting. I did not know people did this, but it seems harmless enough. Of course, a doctor said, "But you can transmit herpes to your baby!" Well, yeah ... if you have herpes.

I've never done this and don't think I would start, but I can't count the number of times my kids have had some of my ice cream cone or something similar, something that was just in my mouth.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 AM

I guess people have forgotten the term premastication. Back in the olden days when I started nursing patients used to fill out a form asking about various bodily functions, one of the questions was "Problems with mastication (chewing)?", they eventually changed the form as I'm sure you can guess what people use to answer about!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:18 AM

869 posts, read 1,493,671 times
Yeah I definately dont have a problem with it. I think that this would be something a parent would make a decision about on their own, without interference. I never passed food mouth to mouth but more than a few time i "prechewed" something for my son. I never even thought about it as potentially being a problem until I saw this video. It just seemed more instinctual to make whatever i was feeding him softer and chewable.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:12 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,084 times
I guess I'm the minority on this one. I find this practice odd.

Also, as said on the Today show, by the Dr. "there is nothing dirtier than the human mouth" and that this little guys immune system may not be able to handle some of the adult bacteria.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:15 AM

869 posts, read 1,493,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I guess I'm the minority on this one. I find this practice odd.

Also, as said on the Today show, by the Dr. "there is nothing dirtier than the human mouth" and that this little guys immune system may not be able to handle some of the adult bacteria.
I do find the actual mouth to mouth feeding odd. But I imagine that she is also breastfeeding thus sharing her immunity with her child and boosting his immune system and sharing her bacteria with him. Also anytime you share anything with your child you are sharing your germs, like if your child takes a bite off your fork or takes a sip from your straw. I didnt do the mouth to mouth but i did do some prechewing and my son never got sick, obviously that is anecdotal but he was a very healthy baby and really never got sick except a stomach virus once.

I think that this being discussed on the today show is a little odd, its kind of just finger pointing and laughing. Like there is nothing wrong with it but because she is a celebrity(ish) and posted it online we just laugh and point. And whisper...and put it on the today show.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:31 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,273,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Parents have been feeding their babies this way for thousands of years. In a healthy parent with no transmittable disease, there is absolutely no reason for a parent not to premasticate.

Why is this even news? For millions of mothers around the world who do not have access to store-bought jars of baby food or food processors, this is the way they feed their babies.
Since when? Usually children outside america are kept on breast milk much longer so i can't see this happening too often.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Since when? Usually children outside america are kept on breast milk much longer so i can't see this happening too often.
Let me google that for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting