Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 06:15 PM

13,976 posts, read 25,856,281 times

Advertisements

According to this article today, 1 in 88 children now fall on the autism spectrum at age 8. In Utah it is 1 in 47. 1 in 49 in NJ.

Better diagnosis, screening behind rise in autism - Health - Children's health - msnbc.com

Barring a break though in determining cause, would you reconsider getting pregnant with these frightening odds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 07:12 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,850,010 times
I doubt these numbers will deter anybody. That sort of thing always happens to "the other guy". Except when it doesn't.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,063,700 times
I heard this and am not sure what to make of it. I wonder if it is really getting more common or if it is a change in how it is diagnosed.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,666,139 times
I thought EVERYONE falls on the autism spectrum. Some people are at the low extreme, some are at the high extreme, and most people fall somewhere inbetween, with the actual diagnosis of "autistic" being somewhere in the upper end of the spectrum, and Aspergers running mid-range to upper?

Or has that idea changed in the last year? I heard this a year ago, it was supposedly the latest on the subject at the time. Then again only a couple years before that everyone was insisting that autism was caused by mercury in vaccines, and look how THAT turned out.

In short, I don't think it's staggering at all. I think it's just that the criteria keeps changing, and the changes end up including more people that it included before.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:05 PM

10,567 posts, read 12,777,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
According to this article today, 1 in 88 children now fall on the autism spectrum at age 8. In Utah it is 1 in 47. 1 in 49 in NJ.

Better diagnosis, screening behind rise in autism - Health - Children's health - msnbc.com

Barring a break though in determining cause, would you reconsider getting pregnant with these frightening odds?
Autism sometimes is just a rejection of dishonesty...most of these kid are responsive...if they sense you are sincere...most people are incapable of being honest...and these kids know that and will not give you the time of day..also- no stats should regulate whether you should have kids or not......the big stat is 100 per cent of kids will die by the time they are 75....and suffer while doing it....are we to stop having kids cause your baby will suffer and die - eventually.?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,063,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Autism sometimes is just a rejection of dishonesty...most of these kid are responsive...if they sense you are sincere...most people are incapable of being honest...and these kids know that and will not give you the time of day..also- no stats should regulate whether you should have kids or not......the big stat is 100 per cent of kids will die by the time they are 75....and suffer while doing it....are we to stop having kids cause your baby will suffer and die - eventually.?
What?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:59 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,227,573 times
My sister said there is a lot of what she calls 'extended diagnose' in this day. IE people that really don't have it but either doctors wanting to pad their pockets or helicopter parents pushing for something to be wrong with their kids. You would be amazed on how many people just go into her clinic and tell her what their child has.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,950,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I thought EVERYONE falls on the autism spectrum. Some people are at the low extreme, some are at the high extreme, and most people fall somewhere inbetween, with the actual diagnosis of "autistic" being somewhere in the upper end of the spectrum, and Aspergers running mid-range to upper?

Or has that idea changed in the last year? I heard this a year ago, it was supposedly the latest on the subject at the time. Then again only a couple years before that everyone was insisting that autism was caused by mercury in vaccines, and look how THAT turned out.

In short, I don't think it's staggering at all. I think it's just that the criteria keeps changing, and the changes end up including more people that it included before.
Wait what?
are you being serious?
EVERYONE falls somewhere on the autism spectrum?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:36 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,012,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
My sister said there is a lot of what she calls 'extended diagnose' in this day. IE people that really don't have it but either doctors wanting to pad their pockets or helicopter parents pushing for something to be wrong with their kids. You would be amazed on how many people just go into her clinic and tell her what their child has.
I believe it.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:18 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,369,779 times
I don't think there are MORE autistic kids; it's just that they have widened the net. I wish they would make the distinction between moderate/severe autism and all the other conditions they put on the spectrum these days before trying to make comparisons between past and present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting