Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:47 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
There shouldn't be dating in 7th grade imo. Parents need to only allow group situations until much older...H.S. sophomore or older imo. Educate your children as to what is acceptable behavior...and the most critical piece of parenting is keep the communication open.....model good choices for your children. Don't always have the prent type discussion...sometimes just do things w/ your child....even if it isn't something you would like to do....make sure they know how much you love them, and care about them. That is their best defense in any situation....it will be in their minds at that critical moment...My Mom /Dad loves me, I can go to them w/ this problem.
The 'survey' pretty much admitted that most "relationships" or "dating" at the age consists of group dating situations or very short lived "relationships" that don't go beyond sitting together at lunch or being "in a relationship" on Facebook. It also went on to state that these relationships are more or less based on exploring and developing the social dynamics as practice for more serious relationships as they get older. Basically, not much has changed in terms of what it means to be in 7th grade and "dating".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 08:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
There shouldn't be dating in 7th grade imo. Parents need to only allow group situations until much older...H.S. sophomore or older imo. Educate your children as to what is acceptable behavior...and the most critical piece of parenting is keep the communication open.....model good choices for your children. Don't always have the prent type discussion...sometimes just do things w/ your child....even if it isn't something you would like to do....make sure they know how much you love them, and care about them. That is their best defense in any situation....it will be in their minds at that critical moment...My Mom /Dad loves me, I can go to them w/ this problem.
Yes, children that young are far far too young to be "dating" which is often a euphemism for having sex. Where are their parents?

Very likely the parents who allow 11 years olds to date are not paying attention or think themselves that having a boyfriend is of utmost importance and inadvertantly teach their daughters that they must keep a guy around no matter what they have to do -- so no surprise that the daughters would take abuse.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:05 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
That's just insane! What in the world are 12 year old children doing dating!? What is wrong with these parents that they ALLOW their 12 yr olds to have those types of relationships at that age. It's irresponsible parenting!

Old 03-31-2012, 11:45 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
sad to say plenty of 7th graders are/were having oral sex in the bathrooms and anywhere else i could guess. and this was in an affluent parent involved community. for all i knew the parents did not allow 'dating' didn't mean the kids wouldn't find a way to do what they wanted.

so why wouldn't dating violence be around?

we have really messed up with out children. with the best of intentions

Old 03-31-2012, 04:00 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,785,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
7th graders shouldn't be dating..... They should be having innocent fun with their friends , going to dances and concentrating on school....

Well said

Old 04-02-2012, 11:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Whose kids DATE in the 7th grade? The whole thing is ridiculous. Who funded this study?

Anyone who is allowing their kids to date at this young age has more problems going on in the household than their 7th grader's potential for relationship violence.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:04 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
I just looked up the survey... It has a VERY small sample size of 1,430 7th graders. Without digging to deep, one has to wonder about the statically value of the study and its results.

My local school distinct has almost 3000 in 7th grade, so what kind of sample did they get.

New Study of 1,430 7th-Grader Students Reports Teen Dating Violence Behaviors and Risk Factors Occurring among Middle School Students. - RWJF

Old 04-02-2012, 12:59 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
That's just insane! What in the world are 12 year old children doing dating!? What is wrong with these parents that they ALLOW their 12 yr olds to have those types of relationships at that age. It's irresponsible parenting!
Tried to rep you. Yes, this is insane!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:07 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Interesting how many chose to basically ignore the actual topic and resort to the easy out (7th graders shouldn't be dating).

I got news for you all - middle schoolers do date whether you want them to or not. They 'date' at school. They 'date' at the mall. They 'date' at friends' houses. They 'date' at the neighborhood playground. They 'date' at sports events and at birthday parties.

And, in a world where some alarming number of middle and high school girls believe that Rhianna 'must have done something to make Chris Brown hit her,' violence is a very real experience and one that they will see on a much too regular basis among their peer group.

Hiding behind 'but they are too young' is not going to make this any less true.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Well, NJGOAT apparently took the time to read the survey and this is the defintion of dating:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The 'survey' pretty much admitted that most "relationships" or "dating" at the age consists of group dating situations or very short lived "relationships" that don't go beyond sitting together at lunch or being "in a relationship" on Facebook. It also went on to state that these relationships are more or less based on exploring and developing the social dynamics as practice for more serious relationships as they get older. Basically, not much has changed in terms of what it means to be in 7th grade and "dating".
Except for the Facebook part, it's pretty much the same as when I was in 7th grade in 1961. Since I didn't "date" until much later, I don't know if DV was prevalent when I was in 7th gr, but it wouldn't surprise me any, if, of the "dating" couples, violence happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting