Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 02:40 PM

13 posts, read 14,802 times

Advertisements

I was grabbing an application from my daughter's desk the other day, and while I was there I found what I think was a suicide note. It was certainly in that format with that theme but never directly said it was. She's been acting a little off for a few weeks- moody, depressed, etc. When I confronted her about her mood lately (not the note), she said it was nothing, just a lot of work at school. I'm really concerned now. Should I talk to her? Should I get a counselor involved? I don't want it to seem like I was going through her stuff because couldn't that cause trust issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 03:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven Nation Army View Post
I was grabbing an application from my daughter's desk the other day, and while I was there I found what I think was a suicide note. It was certainly in that format with that theme but never directly said it was. She's been acting a little off for a few weeks- moody, depressed, etc. When I confronted her about her mood lately (not the note), she said it was nothing, just a lot of work at school. I'm really concerned now. Should I talk to her? Should I get a counselor involved? I don't want it to seem like I was going through her stuff because couldn't that cause trust issues?
It might depend on her age to some extent, some kids might hear about suicide on television or at school, and are imagining -- there can be kids who would never actually do it but think how sad they'd make their parents if they punished them with suicide. She might just have wrote that note to see what she would write.

However I think suicide is a serious issue that even if it's just some drama-queen thing, you need to take it seriously.

The fact that she left the note where you could see it may just be a cry for help. Is school too much pressure for her? Does she understand that you love her whether or not she does well in school? Would you accept her if she is a C student or if she's in college if she drops out?

I believe it's very important that kids know their parents will support whatever direction they wish to take, college or otherwise.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:08 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
In an issue like this, I would never chance it. Talk to her. I wish you well

Old 04-01-2012, 03:16 PM

13 posts, read 14,802 times
Quote:
The fact that she left the note where you could see it may just be a cry for help. Is school too much pressure for her? Does she understand that you love her whether or not she does well in school? Would you accept her if she is a C student or if she's in college if she drops out?

I believe it's very important that kids know their parents will support whatever direction they wish to take, college or otherwise.
She still has very high grades though (all are high A's), and she's never been the type to study/do assignments, so I feel like there's something else going on whether it's bullying or other sources of pressure.

She's currently on a retreat with her school, so when she gets back, I'll talk to her. I just don't want to push her further towards anything if she's already close to the tipping point.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:19 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
How about take her out to lunch or a mani-pedi spa day. Just make it something special and just see if she will open up to you on her own accord. Or just leave a simple note for her telling her you hope she had a great time on her retreat and that you just wanted to say that you love her

Old 04-01-2012, 03:33 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven Nation Army View Post
She still has very high grades though (all are high A's), and she's never been the type to study/do assignments, so I feel like there's something else going on whether it's bullying or other sources of pressure.

She's currently on a retreat with her school, so when she gets back, I'll talk to her. I just don't want to push her further towards anything if she's already close to the tipping point.
You could just ask how she likes school, and ask how things are - besides grades.

I don't know if you should tell her you found the note or not, you may have a better feel for that, if she thinks you invaded her privacy it could put up a barrier.

I think sometimes there are a lot of pressures, kids can fear the future. They fear it because they don't know how they'll do, how they'll fit in. Lots of changes in their lives. Plus sometimes they're going through heartbreak, feeling rejection, growing away from childhood friends and not getting new ones to fill the void.

The mood changes may indicate an unhappiness, straight A's don't mean the child is happy and sometimes they pressure themselves quite a lot to get them even if parents don't.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:22 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,237,972 times
Please, don't ignore the letter. Go to her school counsler, Pastor...ask them, talk to her teachers.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:20 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
Please, don't ignore the letter. Go to her school counsler, Pastor...ask them, talk to her teachers.
I second this and do not wait especially with the school year winding down. Talking to her yourself when you don't even know where to start and if she feels you might have been invading her private world? I would not really chance that. If something is going on, the school can check it out.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,202 times
This kind of thing should not be taken lightly. When she gets back I would start talking with her about how she is feeling about everything from home life to school to boys to her friends. Kids just don't write letters like that out of the blue, there is somehting going on.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:41 PM

52 posts, read 70,509 times
Possibly saving your childs life >>>>> causing some trust issues

Get over the trust thing here, you need to take the letter and hand it to your daughter and ask her what the deal is. does she need to talk about whats going on, is she suicidal because of something particular happening, maybe she just needs to unload on you and have someone listen

either way, the minor trust issue it MIGHT cause is nothing compared to the risk your taking by ignoring it. Even asking her teachers and friends about it is still beating arond the bush, why bother? cut to the chase, no bull****

she might be defiant and upset but she will see you care and if there is going to be any way to help her she will allow it to happen if your persistent.

believe me, my parents rummaged through my stuff all the time when i was a kid, finding cigarettes, booze, adult mags, whatever else i was hiding. yeah i was angry at the time, but do i think about it still to this day? no, i dont even care. no long lasting trust issues here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting