Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:49 AM

606 posts, read 943,733 times

Advertisements

Most of the families I know where one parent is vegetarian allow the kids to eat meat or not as they choose, though I do know a family where the mom and the kids are veggie. All of the families I know where both parents are vegetarian are raising the kids as vegetarians. In each case (none of them are for religious reasons) I think they'd be fine with the kids opting to eat meat down the line but probably would continue to keep their house and the meals they prepare vegetarian.

I'm not veggie but I am celiac (and was diagnosed long before I had a kid), and we do keep a pretty much gluten-free household because of the risk of cross-contamination. The exceptions are things like beer that aren't going to leave crumbs or get on cooking tools, or occasionally single packets of crackers for treats in her lunches. My kiddo is allowed all the gluten she wants, so long as it's out of the house. It's never been a contentious issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:49 PM

530 posts, read 1,163,100 times
I am not a vegetarian, but none of my kids really had a desire to try meat. Maybe my three kids are different than others, but they all resisted the idea of eating meat. So it would have been easy if I was a vegetarian! My older two eventually started eating meat when they were encouraged to try new dinners. Now my oldest loves meat, but my six year old will not eat anything with red meat and doesn't really like poultry much either. I don't push the issue with her since she really just does not seem to like it. I would think kids in vegetarian households would be like her since their taste buds just aren't accustomed to eating meat. But maybe I am wrong!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:28 PM

22 posts, read 17,342 times
As the parent, you should lay down the law.

Prepare food for your kids, but allow them to give you room to eat non-meat based foods.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:05 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I am the only vegetarian in the family. I cook meat for my husband and kids regularly.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:30 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I would not raise children without feeding them a balanced diet including meat. That is if you want to be a responsible parent.
Yeah i think not feeing your child meat does not mean you are not responsbile.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:19 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,209 times
Just don't forget your B12!

My dearest friend became vegetarian when she was 5.... her choice! Can you believe it? She grew up in Berkeley, CA.

By he time she had her own children, she was vegan. Even though she was a doctor, she was surprisingly poor about monitoring nutritional balance. She called me one day complaining of many progressive symptoms and sure enough... B12 deficiency! Quite severe, actually and very dangerous to her newborn she was nursing, who immediately needed to be put on B12 injections. Ouch.

I definitely agree that you can eat a very healthy and balanced vegetarian/vegan diet, although it takes more work then I can reliably devote. And if you choose to go this route, and have growing kids at home I wish you luck and watch the vitamins!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting