Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 05:18 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times

Advertisements

The rule actually does make sense if he is planning on having his dd pass out invites in class. That's really not such a good idea, there's bound to be hurt feelings, hence the rule in the first place. But I think if you invited kids by mail, a phone call, e-mail, etc., the school has no say-so on who you invite, and the kids are less likely to be discussing it in front of uninvited children. I do think it's common courtesy not to bring anything to school and pass it out unless you have enough for every child.

I've found that mailed or paper invitations aren't as convienient anyway. No one hardly ever rsvp's anymore, they just show up or don't. For my dd's last birthday, I invited everyone by phone call, Facebook, text, or e-mail. I got a quicker and definite response, and did not have to deal with the whole hassle of invitations. Made things a lot easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 05:35 PM

485 posts, read 1,012,065 times
So if no one RSVPs anymore, how do u get a rough head count to give to the venue of the party????

I honestly do not think the school has any right whatsoever to tell me whom I can or can't invite, whether I send an evite or send my kid with 20 paper invites to school.

When I was little I learned that not everyone is invited to everything. Better that they learn this lesson now than when they are older and it hurts more.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
I was wondering whether anyone had ever heard of such a policy. Just when I thought I'd heard everything.......

My son says the policy was explained to him by the teacher when he told her he was going to be distributing invites for a party. The policy states that if the invites are going to be distributed in class that everyone in the class MUST be invited in order to not hurt any feelings or convey a sense of "exclusion."

He did not ask what the "penalty" is for breaking this rule.

Even if he did distribute the invites OUT of class, if he doesn't invite the whole class, he/my granddaughter would likely still feel the heat for it. Don't you think? Once word gets out about the party?

Jeez who knew kids birthday parties had gotten so complicated. Not in my day!
Quote:
So Kkat - do you mean to tell me that a lot of parents are distributing invites privately, out of school, now? Wow. I guess I will have to tell my son that this is how it's done now.

That invite policy seems ridiculous to me. And it's def. a new trend. That did not go on in my school days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
I would. Postage is cheaper! Or I would call the Parents of the child invited. So absolutly strange to me. One would think this is a wedding invite! (invite for everyone in the workplace if you so choose to invite coworkers).
I agree this policy makes sense. It's really mean to hand out invites in front of the other kids. You also have the problem of the invite possibly not ever getting to the parent.

This is not new. I don't know as my kids' school had an explicit policy back when they were in preschool (1992 would have been the last year), but it was definitely the 'unwritten policy' both in preschool and elementary school. I agree that postage is cheap, compared to having to invite everyone. First class postage is 44c; you couldn't do an at-home party for that little per person. I agree that e-vites work well, too.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:15 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
So Kkat - do you mean to tell me that a lot of parents are distributing invites privately, out of school, now? Wow. I guess I will have to tell my son that this is how it's done now.
My son's elementary school doesn't allow invitations to be distributed at school at all. They publish a student directory every year, so people here typically mail them.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:36 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post

I've found that mailed or paper invitations aren't as convienient anyway. No one hardly ever rsvp's anymore, they just show up or don't. For my dd's last birthday, I invited everyone by phone call, Facebook, text, or e-mail. I got a quicker and definite response, and did not have to deal with the whole hassle of invitations. Made things a lot easier.
When I do invitations, I send the old-fashioned kind.
And people respond the old-fashioned way... they RSVP.

Having an accurate head count makes planning WAY easier!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:42 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My son's elementary school doesn't allow invitations to be distributed at school at all. They publish a student directory every year, so people here typically mail them.
My kids schools had these kinds of policies dating back to the early 90's - it's nothing new

When you get right down to it, handing out invites to just a select few kids right in front of other kids was downright rude and unnecessarily cruel.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
So if no one RSVPs anymore, how do u get a rough head count to give to the venue of the party????

I honestly do not think the school has any right whatsoever to tell me whom I can or can't invite, whether I send an evite or send my kid with 20 paper invites to school.

When I was little I learned that not everyone is invited to everything. Better that they learn this lesson now than when they are older and it hurts more.
They don't have to let you pass anything out at school. They have every right to have rules regarding what is passed out at school.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:12 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Quote:
The school is not telling you who you can and cannot invite: they are telling you that you cannot hand out invitations in school unless everyone is being invited.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 PM

485 posts, read 1,012,065 times
Well the latest update on this party "disaster" is that my son is having a coronary about how many people will show up. Apparently he will be charged by the princess party place if more than XYZ number of people show up to the party. And since he WAS FORCED TO invite the entire pre-k 4 class, it's 40 kids. The class is divided into 3 "sections" each with its own teacher but the sections all intermingle and therefore it's considered 1 class.

Furthermore he is telling me that a lot of people have already RSVP-ed yes, at least 20 people. Now I was told today that b/c the party is Mother's Day weekend, many people who say YES will actually not show up. Which will screw up his head count further.

Needless to say he is regretting not having gone with the cheaper, no hassle ZOO PARTY at this point.

Other issues: Some parents are saying they are bringing siblings, both parents, etc.

By the way, he says he wouldn't have been able to do off-campus evites b/c he doesn't have most of these parents' addresses, phone numbers or email and the school does not give that info. out.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Given the large number of kids now invited, he needs to put his foot down about siblings. He was not "forced" to invite everyone. He should have known the school policy and planned accordingly. It may be a hassle, but there are ways of getting in touch with people. This poor kid is never going to get another birthday party after this. Dad will never want to go through all this again. I hope he uses this as a learning experience and does better next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting