Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:38 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
Now, truth be told, my son did not originally ASK my granddaughter if she would like to have a princess party. He assumed she would b/c she loves Disney princesses, etc. And I guess he had never even thought that it was REQUIRED to ask a 5-year-old whether XYZ party is OK by him/her. But now apparently she is having a fit??? I have no idea what's going on in her little head. All I know is that I don't think my son should have ever even told her what was going on, what kind of party was planned, and just had whatever party he planned. Now if he sticks to original plan, she's gonna be having tantrums up until party and possibly during, who knows.

I feel so bad for him b/c he planned this party, booked the place, got special princess invites, showed great creativity and planning, etc. and now she is balking.

Jeez/
It was nice that your son put a lot of thought into this party and tried to plan something that he thought she would like. With that said, I think now he knows next time to ask. I would still keep his plan though because in the end, I think she will have a great time because it isn't about the place it's about her friends. Just have him tell her that the plans have been made and next year she can have the party where she wants, within reason of course.

It's not a reqirement to ask a 5 year old, but he should have at least got her thoughts on the subject.

If she continues to throw a fit, cancel everything and have no party. If my daughter, now 10, threw fits about her party, there wouldn't be a party. She should be greatful, a lot of kids' parents can't afford to have parties anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 08:22 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
He should have asked her.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:26 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
ASK a 5 year old???? Not in my lifetime. The PARENT is supposed to be the ADULT and make the decisions NOT THE CHILD. If she keeps up the tantrums and tears I would tell her that the party is going to happen and she can go or not, simple as that.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:34 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
I would have asked a 5 year old before I booked a party. I do think that in general 5 year olds should have a say in things, but parents should make the final decision based on input from their child.

However, in your son's case he didn't ask. I would not lose a few hundred dollars over a 5 year old's hissy fit. He can tell her that she can have a zoo party next year.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Sounds like an opportunity to have a special daddy/daughter day at the zoo on a different day from the party.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,809 times
Quote:
Now, truth be told, my son did not originally ASK my granddaughter if she would like to have a princess party. He assumed she would b/c she loves Disney princesses, etc. And I guess he had never even thought that it was REQUIRED to ask a 5-year-old whether XYZ party is OK by him/her. But now apparently she is having a fit??? I have no idea what's going on in her little head. All I know is that I don't think my son should have ever even told her what was going on, what kind of party was planned, and just had whatever party he planned. Now if he sticks to original plan, she's gonna be having tantrums up until party and possibly during, who knows.

I feel so bad for him b/c he planned this party, booked the place, got special princess invites, showed great creativity and planning, etc. and now she is balking.

Jeez/

She's five for crying out loud. He's the Dad, she's the child. Once she gets to her princess party and sees' her friends and all the party fun, she will most likely be just fine with the princess theme. Is Dad going to allow her to do whatever she likes as she grows older just because he didn't ask her opinion first? This is a part of life, at the very least, she will learn that she does not call the shots.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:34 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
ASK a 5 year old???? Not in my lifetime. The PARENT is supposed to be the ADULT and make the decisions NOT THE CHILD. If she keeps up the tantrums and tears I would tell her that the party is going to happen and she can go or not, simple as that.
So your child wants a birthday party at a place they like because they are 5 you ignore them?

Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
She's five for crying out loud. He's the Dad, she's the child. Once she gets to her princess party and sees' her friends and all the party fun, she will most likely be just fine with the princess theme. Is Dad going to allow her to do whatever she likes as she grows older just because he didn't ask her opinion first? This is a part of life, at the very least, she will learn that she does not call the shots.
I agree she most likely will have no issues the day of the party, and logically because of the money he can't really get out. However i think it's pretty much a stretch saying letting your child choose where they want their birthday party is the key to her walking over her father later in life. Sure she does not call the shots, but it's still her birthday, and within reason she should be able to choose what she wants.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:46 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
I think there's a difference between asking for a child's opinion or preference before any plans have been made (which I think is a good idea) and caving to a tantrum after the plans have already been made (which I think is a bad idea). I would use it as a teaching moment: Dad now knows that his daughter has preferences and to solicit her input, and his daughter will learn that sometimes she won't get what she prefers and that throwing a tantrum won't change that. At this point, IMO, Dad needs to help her respond effectively to a situation that is not going to change.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Jeez/
I mean she isn't really balking because he assumed his little girl wanted a certain type of party. It's pretty normal to get your little kids input on the party they want. Of course that doesn't mean they will get it exactly as they want, but they still should have a say in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting