Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:08 PM

460 posts, read 671,915 times

Advertisements

My four year old has gotten a family party every year until he's old enough to specifically ASK for something different. When that day comes, I will do my best to honor his wishes with the understanding that expensive parties mean less expensive gifts. Then I'll let him choose. So far he's been to other kid parties but has never asked for one for himself. I don't see the need to go crazy spending all sorts of money to go to a nasty, dirty kid party facility with kids he barely knows. Blech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 12:34 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes, it seems I am quite out-of-step on birthday parties for today's 5-year old. (It's been a while is my only excuse. ) I Googled it and educated myself on deposits.

BTW: If Birthday Girl doesn't want to go to a Disney Princess party, I do!
*puts a crown on dews head*

Old 04-06-2012, 12:36 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Most places around here charge a substantial deposit to hold the place. That does not indicate a lavish party. If you are having a party with 20 kids (the whole class) a few hundred dollars for a deposit is not lavish.
Yeah but how many kids invite the whole class to their party?

Old 04-06-2012, 12:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Inviting the whole class up until about 1st grade is pretty normal here. The whole party would be about $200-$250, not just the deposit.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:47 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
When the kids are little it is pretty common.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Birthday parties were a lot simpler when my kids were little. We did invite the whole class for my dd's kindergarten party, but we had it at home in our back yard.

Other than that single party, we limited the numbers to the number of kids in their age +1 - parties were usually at home and did not require desposits, just more work on mom and dad's part. Since the kids birthdays were in May, it usually worked to have most of the activities outside, but if not it wasn't bad because of the limited numbers.

Of course as they got older, they often had a nice outing with just one or two friends. My dd was a theater kid, so we went to shows. My ds was a sports nut, so we went to baseball games or played soccer with 4 or 5 friends in the park near the house.

It's so much more complicated now.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Birthday parties were a lot simpler when my kids were little. We did invite the whole class for my dd's kindergarten party, but we had it at home in our back yard.

Other than that single party, we limited the numbers to the number of kids in their age +1 - parties were usually at home and did not require desposits, just more work on mom and dad's part. Since the kids birthdays were in May, it usually worked to have most of the activities outside, but if not it wasn't bad because of the limited numbers.

Of course as they got older, they often had a nice outing with just one or two friends. My dd was a theater kid, so we went to shows. My ds was a sports nut, so we went to baseball games or played soccer with 4 or 5 friends in the park near the house.

I think your kids are older than mine (mine are 24 and just now 28), and we had parties such as you describe. Even in kindergarten, we did not invite the whole class. Mine didn't get invited to "everyone's" party, so we felt no need to do so. Most of the parties both of them went to were fairly small, e.g 10 or so kids, max. One DD's birthday is the 4th of July, so lots of people were out of town, even if we held the party the weekend before. When she got older, she'd take a friend or two to the Colorado Rapids soccer game, traditionally held in Mile High Stadium (at the time) on July 4 with a fireworks program afterward. The other one's bd is in March, just before spring break in our district. She usually had a larger party than the other, just b/c school was in session. As she got older we went bowling, mini-golfing (in the snow!), etc.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:18 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think your kids are older than mine (mine are 24 and just now 28), and we had parties such as you describe. Even in kindergarten, we did not invite the whole class. Mine didn't get invited to "everyone's" party, so we felt no need to do so. Most of the parties both of them went to were fairly small, e.g 10 or so kids, max. One DD's birthday is the 4th of July, so lots of people were out of town, even if we held the party the weekend before. When she got older, she'd take a friend or two to the Colorado Rapids soccer game, traditionally held in Mile High Stadium (at the time) on July 4 with a fireworks program afterward. The other one's bd is in March, just before spring break in our district. She usually had a larger party than the other, just b/c school was in session. As she got older we went bowling, mini-golfing (in the snow!), etc.
My kids are 37 and 40. A bit older than yours. <g>

Old 04-06-2012, 01:48 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southshorelady View Post
My four year old has gotten a family party every year until he's old enough to specifically ASK for something different. When that day comes, I will do my best to honor his wishes with the understanding that expensive parties mean less expensive gifts. Then I'll let him choose. So far he's been to other kid parties but has never asked for one for himself. I don't see the need to go crazy spending all sorts of money to go to a nasty, dirty kid party facility with kids he barely knows. Blech.
Great, then don't go.

We only had family parties up until now, too. But being five, and that she's now in preschool, and given that we live in the city with no room to host her new friends, the ability to have a party at one of those dirty kid party facilities is actually a blessing.

I doubt we'll do this every year, but I personally think five is a special birthday, and worth a bit of a do.

All respect to those who think otherwise.

Last edited by FinsterRufus; 04-06-2012 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Not worth it. :)

Old 04-06-2012, 02:03 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

We still do this. We'll serve pizza or another kid-friendly meal, then take a few kids to the movies, a community theater show, swimming at a local resort, or whatever the birthday girl wants to do. Then, it's back to the house for cake and a sleepover.

It's simple and fun and can be scaled down or up to fit our budget, depending on the outing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting