Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 03:26 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have known families in which the children are well behaved, good students, and grew up into responsible adults who love and respect their parents. Its part luck, part inherent personality and intelligence, but mostly it is two parent families who work as a team.
Yes of course...but I doubt they were without bumps in the road. I know of no one who breezed through parenting without a hitch. Life happens.

Last edited by maciesmom; 04-08-2012 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 03:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have known families in which the children are well behaved, good students, and grew up into responsible adults who love and respect their parents. Its part luck, part inherent personality and intelligence, but mostly it is two parent families who work as a team.
I agree there are several factors, parenting being only 1 piece of the puzzle. 2 parent families are great, but single parents can still have good kids and still be good parents.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I agree there are several factors, parenting being only 1 piece of the puzzle. 2 parent families are great, but single parents can still have good kids and still be good parents.
Agreed. Absolutely.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:54 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
I've known a handful of those perfect kids when I was in high school. I'm not sure how happy they are now that we're all grown up.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:08 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Personally, I think perfection is overrated, and makes for lousy family reunions. I never aimed that high. I was content with happy kids, who could envision a future of productivity and realized it wouldn't happen without effort on their part.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Personally, I think perfection is overrated, and makes for lousy family reunions. I never aimed that high. I was content with happy kids, who could envision a future of productivity and realized it wouldn't happen without effort on their part.

Sharing and sometimes laughing at our imperfections and mistakes/misjudgements (enough after the fact that they can be laughted at) are exactly what makes for close families and happy/fun holiday get togethers. So true!

Old 04-08-2012, 04:17 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
I know a few, but they are in the minority. One bragged during a mom's night out that she would never feed her child "poison from McDonald's" and that her child didn't even know what McDonald's was.

Another implied that I was a bad mother because I told her that I limit my kids' activities based on our budget. For instance, they can only play one sport, or take one dance lesson at a time. She said, "If you tell your child that you can't something you are telling her that YOU CANT AFFORD Her. You are telling her she should have never been born."

That perfect mom chooses to live in an apartment instead of purchasing a home because she never wants to say no to her child, who takes dance lessons every day and competes in dance competitions on the weekends.

Don't get me started on all the moms of children who are "gifted" because they watched Baby Einstein DVDs and attended baby art and music classes. I just can't compete.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Another implied that I was a bad mother because I told her that I limit my kids' activities based on our budget. For instance, they can only play one sport, or take one dance lesson at a time. She said, "If you tell your child that you can't something you are telling her that YOU CANT AFFORD Her. You are telling her she should have never been born."
There's a mother I'd avoid like the plague.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:28 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
20 reasons why I am a bad parent.

1. I let them eat fast food.
2. They have no limits on how much tv they watch or video games they play.
3. They have ipods, cell phones and tvs.
4. They actually like organized sports.
5. If they get a B in class I don't yell at them.
6. I let my 18 year old son stay out as late as he wants.
7. I let my 15 year old son date.
8. I am paying for college.
9. I let them drive our car AND I pay for gas and insurance.
10. I let them have a say in their own birthday parties.
11. If they don't want to eat something I make for dinner they don't have to eat it.
12. I let them have dessert even if they skipped a dish at dinner.
13. I give them a monthly allowance once they start driving.
14. I don't make them do specific chores to get their allowance.
15. When there are chips in the house they are allowed to eat them.
16. When they are in trouble I sometimes yell.
17. I rarely punish my kids.
18. I let them go on school field trips even if they are expensive (as long as we can afford them).
19. I paid for my son's prom tickets.
20. I am friends with my sons and their friends on FB

Old 04-08-2012, 04:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I know a few, but they are in the minority. One bragged during a mom's night out that she would never feed her child "poison from McDonald's" and that her child didn't even know what McDonald's was.

That perfect mom chooses to live in an apartment instead of purchasing a home because she never wants to say no to her child, who takes dance lessons every day and competes in dance competitions on the weekends.

Don't get me started on all the moms of children who are "gifted" because they watched Baby Einstein DVDs and attended baby art and music classes. I just can't compete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting