Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:30 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,692,342 times

Advertisements

MACON, Ga., April 6 (UPI) -- An annual Easter egg hunt in Central City Park in Macon, Ga., was canceled this year because of unruly parents, officials said.

The annual Easter egg hunt in Central City Park, which would have been held Saturday, was one of the largest in Middle Georgia, The Macon (Ga.) Telegraph reported.

Read more: Egg hunt tossed because of violent adults - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 02:46 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,608,464 times
One of our local hunts was cancelled due to unruly parents as well. There were comments in the news from the organizers that said that it didn't matter how many eggs they put out or if they had age groups. The parents went nuts.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,983,148 times
I don't get it. We have never had that problem with parents here, but I suppose it could happen. I don't really understand parents who take kids to these things and then are violent or rude.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:55 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,792,644 times
We went to our local hunt and while there wasn't anything too over the top, the older kids were still quite competitive about it, despite the fact that the eggs had nothing in them...everyone got the same bag of treats for their age group.

We have been to other hunts in the past though where it was rather painful to watch. The parents and the kids were ultra-competitive, even among the younger kids where parents would "block" off an area to let their kids get all of those eggs. In my in-laws town the corruption is really bad as the "super special golden eggs" that earn you a full Easter basket always seem to be found by kids with ties to the town council, or some of the public services. It was so bad one year, one of the kids was loudly protesting having to go find eggs since "I already know I won the basket".

I just take it all in stride. My kids have fun and the youngest ones don't even realize what's going on. Now that my son is older, he may realize but he doesn't really care or even really care too much about hunting eggs. If anything I just feel sorry for people that feel they need to rig an Easter egg hunt and if it's getting that bad, better to not have it.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:55 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,223,480 times
What I can't figure out is what these parents are THINKING. Someone I know recently posted a wee rant about this kind of thing on Facebook. I was BLOWN AWAY to read some of the replies in which people were defending themselves for stiff arming other kids so THEIR kid could get more eggs. Because that is what an egg hunt is about, right? Getting the most eggs.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:05 PM

466 posts, read 817,319 times
I've never been, but I hear the egg hunt at our local farmer's market can get crazy. I don't doubt that parents can get crazy. While I wouldn't strong-arm a kid, I think I would clear a little space around my toddler so that he can pick up a few eggs without some 7 or 8 year old coming over and bum-rushing him. Heck, I took him to the playground yesterday and he was climbing up some climbing thing and this older kid came over and practically pushed him off so he could get on. And I was standing right there.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:44 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,020,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
We went to our local hunt and while there wasn't anything too over the top, the older kids were still quite competitive about it, despite the fact that the eggs had nothing in them...everyone got the same bag of treats for their age group.

We have been to other hunts in the past though where it was rather painful to watch. The parents and the kids were ultra-competitive, even among the younger kids where parents would "block" off an area to let their kids get all of those eggs. In my in-laws town the corruption is really bad as the "super special golden eggs" that earn you a full Easter basket always seem to be found by kids with ties to the town council, or some of the public services. It was so bad one year, one of the kids was loudly protesting having to go find eggs since "I already know I won the basket".

I just take it all in stride. My kids have fun and the youngest ones don't even realize what's going on. Now that my son is older, he may realize but he doesn't really care or even really care too much about hunting eggs. If anything I just feel sorry for people that feel they need to rig an Easter egg hunt and if it's getting that bad, better to not have it.
Something similar happened at my church Easter egg hunt one year, as reported by my daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
I've never been, but I hear the egg hunt at our local farmer's market can get crazy. I don't doubt that parents can get crazy. While I wouldn't strong-arm a kid, I think I would clear a little space around my toddler so that he can pick up a few eggs without some 7 or 8 year old coming over and bum-rushing him. Heck, I took him to the playground yesterday and he was climbing up some climbing thing and this older kid came over and practically pushed him off so he could get on. And I was standing right there.
Generally, these egg hunts have age groups, with the older kids having to hunt in a more challenging area.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:12 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,408,269 times
Well, our local egg hunt went ok, I think.

It was my daughter's first, she was just under a year last time and not really walking yet...she was in the under 2 age group, she's 23 months and tall for her age - so I suspect that some of the kids had been "red-shirted" by their parents (they were taller/bigger than her). The eggs were empty and they asked you to step out of the ring at 6 eggs. After she picked up like three, I looked around to make sure there were going to be enough eggs (we would have quit if it looked like they were running short) - I noticed that the kids/parents around me all have more than six eggs....

Old 04-09-2012, 06:08 PM

530 posts, read 1,165,715 times
We have had problems with other adults and older kids at various Easter egg hunts. We had one hunt where a mom was using sports maneuvers to block my then three year old daughter from picking up eggs. This mom was picking them all up for her daughter. I tried to run around this lady, but she was fast and aggressive, and this particular hunt was small, so there weren't a lot of eggs left.

Nowadays my 11-year old daughter, who is allergic to most candy, will collect eggs and hand them out to her siblings and any kid she sees who is crying because he/she didn't get any candy. Last year though a woman hit and scratched my daughter's arm to try to stop her from collecting eggs. This year a girl who was about ten entered herself in the six to eight year old category and then snatched eggs from other kids. One boy fell and dropped his eggs. She swooped in to grab them all off the ground. I yelled at her when I saw it, but it was too late. Easter egg hunts can be crazy!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,267,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
Nowadays my 11-year old daughter, who is allergic to most candy, will collect eggs and hand them out to her siblings and any kid she sees who is crying because he/she didn't get any candy.
That's nice to hear. She sounds like a good kid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting