Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,216,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
This article ran today in the Atlanta paper:
Average prom cost tops $1,000 per teen *| ajc.com

It breaks down money spent by economic level. According to the article, people earning under $30,000 spend the most. I wonder how they got their information, as I highly doubt it is accurate.
"A new survey from Visa Inc."

Yes always trust a survey on what people plan to do next year by a credit card company .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 05:56 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,585,910 times
I asked my second oldest daughter who teaches high school here- in the Fort Worth area of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. She helps chair the junior committee that puts on the prom for the seniors. She says their prom tickets are $95 each, but that does include a dinner and covers the DJ.

Based on her experience, very few students spend $300 or more on dresses. A few do go get their hair done, but many get together with friends and do each others hair or have one person come do them all so they are splitting any costs. Same for nails.

Also the kids tend to go in large groups and not necessarily as couples and in doing this they rent the large party buses instead of limos. She has no idea how much those cost these days.

Her best guess is that they spend less than $500 per couple, on average. Her school has the entire range of income levels from dirt poor to extremely well off.

They also provide an after prom activity that is free and is from midnight to 6:00 AM. Once there you can't leave until 6. Years past they have had things like poker tables and inflated obstacle courses. They have items you can win through the games or through drawings. They've given away anything from TV's to sports tickets to memberships. All donated items. Parents volunteer to work the event so there is virtually no paid staff. Attendance is pretty good there, although there are plenty who have their own parties either at homes or hotels.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,007,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Pepper spray is about $30.
They have to buy pepper spray?

You might want to re-think that whole Dad-meeting-date-at-the-door-while-sharpening-his knife deal (or whatever it was you were telling us about as your sure-fire way to screen dates) because if your daughters need pepper spray it's obviously not working.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,035,367 times
I just want to point out to everyone whose answer to spending less on the prom is "buy a second hand dress" that someone has to buy the dress new in order for someone to later buy it second hand.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When I was in high school, the original plan for prom, was to charter a 747 jet and have the prom flying over Chicago.

When they only found two takers for their pre-sale of this dumb idea (at like $600 a ticket), they got realistic.

I guess our kids high school is boring. THey just have prom on a boat or at a local hall and tickets are about $60. There is a dress store that re-sells prom dresses and also a group that has a prom dress exchange at the school on evening. Tuxedos are rented. Most kids seem to go toghether and rent giant limo busses that hold 3-8 couples and share the cost. Others just drive Moms car. Dinner is usually at the prom and included. They might spend $300 each. I doubt it is that much. So far we only had girls go to prom. Dresses run $90 to 180 for a $600 dress (or they can wear sisters dress). Hair about $60 - $80 each (except when mom does their hair). Shoes, jewlry, they borrow from mom. Pepper spray is about $30. I cannot think of any other expenses.

Do many girls really wear their prom dresses again? Most college kids seem to gain 10-15 pounds in their Freshman year as they adjust unlimited quantities of available starchy foods. Can they be easily re-sized?
I can assure you with all that they are spending more then 300 bucks lol :-P

Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I just want to point out to everyone whose answer to spending less on the prom is "buy a second hand dress" that someone has to buy the dress new in order for someone to later buy it second hand.
Sounds like this should be a topic for Philosoraptor lol.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,554,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Where else do you think all those bridesmaids dresses go?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:32 PM

812 posts, read 1,898,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Maybe--but who buys a $300.00 gown for a teenager?? My dress for my son's wedding was only $98.00 on sale. Renting a tux can be 60 plus. Driving a parent's car --free. Flowers 45-- Even if tickets add up to $200, how does it get to $1000.00, if you are not being excessive??

Does no one learn to sew any more?? I like to design and embellish my own clothes.
Apparently my coworker who maybe makes dbl minimum wage and got 2 dresses for her teenage dtr....one was over 300 and the other over 100 because she had a prom and a military ball to attend. Plus shoes and jewlelry --I think she spent upwards of $600 at the store.

I borrowed dresses for all 3 proms I attended in the 90's and just re-dyed shoes. I spent under $700 for my wedding dress.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,387,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
They have to buy pepper spray?

You might want to re-think that whole Dad-meeting-date-at-the-door-while-sharpening-his knife deal (or whatever it was you were telling us about as your sure-fire way to screen dates) because if your daughters need pepper spray it's obviously not working.

Everyone needs pepper spray. Always. Unless you have a CCW.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:24 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,718,225 times
Parents would actually spend that much money?

That's because their children want limos, hotel rooms, expensive yet fancy dresses. Oh and that dreadful after-party. I didn't go to prom b/c my dad was unemployed. The children who want their prom to be like a rich celebrity wedding are crp and should get smacked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting