Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 09:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
500 dollars a person is not a big amount of money. Even working a moderate pt job you would have that in a month.
But $500 would go toward keeping gas in your car.

$500 is fine for those who have money to waste - but it shouldn't be required. If others show up in $50 outfits, that's just as good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 09:49 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
to spend in one night???
Sure for one time. I mean if they are doing this for every dance in school it's excessive but a one time event to spend a little extra on i see as no big deal. Hell people spend more on their wedding reception which is just as pointless of an affair.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

$500 is fine for those who have money to waste - but it shouldn't be required. If others show up in $50 outfits, that's just as good.
Yes but it's nice once in awhile to splurge and do something nice for yourself as well.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
to spend in one night???
If the kid works, and really doesn't have any expenses...

I split prom expenses with my parents. They bought the dress, I paid for the jewelry, hair, shoes, etc. BF paid for tux,tickets, dinner, and flowers. No one person was out $1000.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

It is an AVERAGE. Some spend much less. Some spend much more

Old 04-13-2012, 09:53 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
Default hopefully

Quote:
Sure for one time. I mean if they are doing this for every dance in school it's excessive but a one time event to spend a little extra on i see as no big deal. Hell people spend more on their wedding reception which is just as pointless of an affair.

A wedding is for life. I hope you make a lot of money in your life, if you see $500.oo dollars in this economy as not excessive on any one time event for a high school student.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
When they talk about the high prom costs don't they realize that many things can used again? My daughter bought an amazing dress for $200 from a pageant resale store (it's original cost was $2,000). She wore it to the prom, several pageants, several appearances and several college dances. Yes, her clear "pageant shoes" cost $90 but she wore them to every dance, every pageant, every appearance and on many, many, many dates from the time she was 15 years old until they finally wore out when she was 21 years old. Her jewelry (including hair jewels) were worn again & again. She is almost 25 years old and still has & wears the same jewelry that she wore to prom. Heck, I've even borrowed the jewelry a couple of times to wear.

A large group of kids had dinner at someone's house, car pooled to the prom and attended the school sponsored all night "lock-in" post prom party at the YMCA (I think it cost $10). I think that the prom tickets were $50 a person. So, my daughter didn't spend anywhere near the huge amount listed in that survey.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
A wedding is for life. I hope you make a lot of money in your life, if you see $500.oo dollars in this economy as not excessive on any one time event for a high school student.
No a marriage is for life, a wedding is for one day . You can easily get married in a private ceremony and go about your happy life. There is no need to spend 30 dollars a head on a fancy reception,rent a place,pay for photos,music,dresses . I'm sorry but to me 500 is just not a large amount of money to spend one time in life.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
When they talk about the high prom costs don't they realize that many things can used again? My daughter bought an amazing dress for $200 from a pageant resale store (it's original cost was $2,000). She wore it to the prom, several pageants, several appearances and several college dances. Yes, her clear "pageant shoes" cost $90 but she wore them to every dance, every pageant, every appearance and on many, many, many dates from the time she was 15 years old until they finally wore out when she was 21 years old. Her jewelry (including hair jewels) were worn again & again. She is almost 25 years old and still has & wears the same jewelry that she wore to prom. Heck, I've even borrowed the jewelry a couple of times to wear.

A large group of kids had dinner at someone's house, car pooled to the prom and attended the school sponsored all night "lock-in" post prom party at the YMCA (I think it cost $10). I think that the prom tickets were $50 a person. So, my daughter didn't spend anywhere near the huge amount listed in that survey.
Remember it is per couple, not per person.

Who knows what the people surveyed did with their prom stuff afterward. My first stop for every formal dance was my older cousin's closet. I borrowed dresses, or bought them at an outlet in San Fran, but not for senior prom. I wore some of them, including my prom dress, again in college. I wore my sister's prom dress several times in college (basic black). That's no different than wearing something you already have.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
Default Are you supporting yourself now

Quote:
No a marriage is for life, a wedding is for one day . You can easily get married in a private ceremony and go about your happy life. There is no need to spend 30 dollars a head on a fancy reception,rent a place,pay for photos,music,dresses . I'm sorry but to me 500 is just not a large amount of money to spend one time in life.

Living on your own-- then $500.00 isn't a moderate amount for a teen. But if I remember correctly you are living with your parents??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting